PDA

View Full Version : X7 Water over front of Bow

Hucks
01-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Can someone please tell me is it quite normal for the my X7 (2005) to continually get what I beleive to be an unusually large amount of water over the bow from time to time when turning or slowing to retrieve a skier. This can occur with no passengers at the front and is obviously more prevelent if more weight is at the front. Thanks in advance

JBaker
01-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Welcome!

It is hard to say what you consider a lot. I spend a little time on an '05 X7 and it does get some water, but not more than other tournament quality ski boats I have been on.

Do you have much experience on other inboards of similar size? If not, you will find you really need to take it easy going over any chop and even then, tournament ski boats are wet boats. Hope this helps.

AussieMC
01-18-2008, 04:27 AM
G'day Hucks,
I've got a 1977tt and they are quite low in the front. I slow to dead idle,then turn, and idle back to pick up a skier, it takes a bit longer but the wakes have dissapeared by the time the skier is ready again and I don't get water over the front.

Where abouts are you in Aust.

TMCNo1
01-18-2008, 07:23 AM
It's just the nature of the direct drive inboard beast, especially if your not paying attention to your surrounding wave action, that in most cases you created.
I know a couple closed bow owners that didn't learn their lesson when water swept over the bow and windshield and wiped out a couple stereo heads. They thought submarining the bow was cool till they spend several hundred bucks.

shepherd
01-18-2008, 11:17 AM
It only happens to my 197 when I have a passenger (weight) up front.

In Australia, is the 1 ball on the left side??? ;)

ncsone
01-18-2008, 11:25 AM
My experience is that if your skier/rider drops, the driver needs to slow down to idle, let the wakes pass the boat (2-3 secs or so), then turn around and (idle) return to the skier/rider. The side benefit is that you are not throwing large wakes all over the lake as you turn and return. Obviously, this would not apply in an emergency situation. Learned this the hard way from driving Supra's 15 years ago, which have very low bows.

east tx skier
01-18-2008, 11:26 AM
When you see rollers about to wash into you, assuming it is safe, i.e., skier isn't close to you in the water, give the throttle a little bump. This will raise the bow enough so that you don't wash out the bow.

When retrieving a skier, you will have fewer problems with your own rollers if you bring it to idle while maintaining your course. Once at idle, turn slowly at idle (unless you have an emergency requiring you to get back to fallen skier more quickly) and idle back to the skier. The extra time you spend turning around not generating more rollers allows the rollers to pass by before you head back to the skier.

/you were too quick for me ncsone. :)
//yes, older Supra Comps are very prone to scooping up rollers.

ProTour X9
01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
My buddy's moomba sucks up waves pretty bad they had a few inches of water inside the boat. They learned their lesson, after I (this should tell you something about them) showed them how to turn around into waves, just like you guys have advised.

yippikaiyay
01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
With my 205, I have to watch it as well. Slow and easy keeps my boat dry(er).

wakolman
01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Yep, just goose the throttle to get the bow up in the air to get over a roller.

Sodar
01-18-2008, 12:16 PM
It is all just in technique and angle of approach. I took water over the bow the first time I picked up a skier and have not taken any over the front since, even with people in the boat. If you come back on the wakes at a slight angle, you will not take any water over the boat, also do not get off the gas hard, just ease off it nicely and let the bow fall and the wake pass you... once the wake passes you, turn...

tex
01-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Get used to it. Happens all the time. Everybody has given you great advice. I've had two people in the front of mine and the nose dipped just when I pulled the throttle back.

Ric
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
ditto . Go enjoy your world record hull and get a little more finesse to your driving style and you'll rarely, if ever take water over the bow again.

jkski
01-18-2008, 03:38 PM
As pointed out by others, it's pretty much the norm for an inboard ski boat, no matter who makes it. For what it's worth, I've done this to an X-Star as well as an X45, so V-drives are not exempt!!!

ShamrockIV
01-18-2008, 03:42 PM
amen on the 205!!
my S&S was the same way but with it you got to watch water roll over the windshield!!!!

Lennyp04
01-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Yes this is normal. I've already been wakeboarding and my dad feel and took a nice ballasty roller over the front of our X-1. Yours may just be more succeptable to it since it is a beastly ski boat. I've also been in an X-30 that got nice waves up over the bow and had a nice swimming pool inside!

icewake
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
i do like most others....when the skiier falls i slowly pull back to idle and wait for the water to hit the back of the boat. After that I do a high-idle turn around until I am about to cross my own wake that was created. Once I get there I pop the gas just enough to get the nose up and ease back off. It has never failed for me and i have never had water in the hull. I have been driving boats since I was 7 or 8 so its all about feel for the individual boat. You will get the hang of it.

BTW......When I do this method I am usually 30-40 feet from the skiier so they are not in danger

Hucks
01-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and great advice. Amazing web site, which is a credit I guess to its members. Fantastic.. Bit more practice and patience I guess for me and my X7. Cheers - Hucks.

Lennyp04
01-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Well I forgot to so say Welcome Hucks. Yeah the people on here know so much about these boats because most of them live and breath MasterCraft. If you ever need anything this is the place to find it. Have fun finding new things on here!

-Lenny

sand2snow22
01-18-2008, 05:35 PM
When you see rollers about to wash into you, assuming it is safe, i.e., skier isn't close to you in the water, give the throttle a little bump. This will raise the bow enough so that you don't wash out the bow.

This is what works best for me. Even with Large cabin cruiser wakes. "Hang on." Wife doesn't find it amusing, but no water over the bow!

icewake
01-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Hucks, now you must post pictures of your boat!

Hucks
01-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Shall Do... Just gotta clean her up a little..

Cheers,

Hucks

WTRSK1R
01-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Welcome aboard. A side benefit of waiting a couple of seconds to turn is you will not disturb the water you are skiing in as much, and if you are not fighting other boat traffic, you will have smooth much more quickly when you pull the next skier back up. This is especially important if you are on a ski course, but it relavant any time you are trying to run a straight line of calm water over and over again.

Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Get a bow cover, removable when needed.