PDA

View Full Version : Explain to me how a ballast system works

Sodar
01-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Diagrams would be helpful!! How do the new ballast systems work?

How do the reversible pumps work? How many through hulls are needed? Where does the water come out from when emptying? (underwater or above).

After I get a feel for how they work, I will try to draw up what I want to do in my boat.

For starters, I want to do 2 hoosiers with 2 seperate reversible pumps....

Roonie's
01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Pump sucks in water from underneath hull. There are three breather tubes out side of boat for the three ballast tanks. Once ballast is full it comes out side of hull through breather tube for which ever tank you are filling. To empty ballast tank it goes out same intake port underneath hull.

Reversibale pumps are just that suck in for water and reverse for empty.

Sodar
01-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I always remember wakeboats pissing water out the side to drain... have systems changed?

ttu
01-17-2008, 06:29 PM
on my 07 x2, it shoots out the sides when the bags are full, but when dumping at the end of the day, the water exits the bottom of the hull.

KnoxX2
01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
So what you becoming a wakeboarder now or what?:rolleyes: :D

Sodar
01-17-2008, 06:36 PM
on my 07 x2, it shoots out the sides when the bags are full, but when dumping at the end of the day, the water exits the bottom of the hull.

So how many intakes/discharge thru-hulls do you need? Do you need one for each pump?

So what you becoming a wakeboarder now or what?:rolleyes: :D

Yeah!

Naw, my buddy is trying to do one on his '86 malibu skier. I am just trying to learn a little before I jump in.

KnoxX2
01-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Diagrams would be helpful!! How do the new ballast systems work?

How do the reversible pumps work? How many through hulls are needed? Where does the water come out from when emptying? (underwater or above).

After I get a feel for how they work, I will try to draw up what I want to do in my boat.

For starters, I want to do 2 bags with 2 seperate reversible pumps....

I call BS8p ;)

Sodar
01-17-2008, 06:38 PM
I call BS8p ;)

As you should! If we get the boat, I will be a 1/2 owner. My buddy wants more of a wakeboat, so I thought I would "invent" a ballast system for him

KnoxX2
01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
So what your saying is you own half a BU.......................:eek3: :noface:

Thats cool you will have a awsome skiing boat and a other boat to party on.

BrianM
01-17-2008, 06:44 PM
The reversable pumps are spendy. $250 each for the Jabsco Ballast Puppy

ttu
01-17-2008, 06:49 PM
sodar, i am pretty sure there is just one pickup and then one for "each" discharge.

might look over on wakeworld there are some good pointers on installing a system.

1boarder
01-17-2008, 06:56 PM
yes, the 06 systems discharged water out of the sides by using a system of check valves. I guess with the timers, they felt you didin't need to hear the water pump out. fillin and discharging out of the same line also requires no check valves

kskib046
01-17-2008, 06:56 PM
i have no idea what the new systems are like, but i did my own and did the following with 4 pumps and 4 bags. overflow and emptying go out the side, one for each bag.

Sodar
01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I am starting to catch on! So when an '07 X-star dumps its tanks, you cannot tell other than the fact that the guages are going down?

ttu
01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I am starting to catch on! So when an '07 X-star dumps its tanks, you cannot tell other than the fact that the guages are going down?

and that is when the guages work:rolleyes:

sand2snow22
01-17-2008, 07:13 PM

Learn something new everyday!! This way you can probably empty the tanks better.

On my 05 X2 they empty out each side of the boat, when I have all three tanks emptying, there's a pretty good stream coming out of the boat. "Hey, your bilge pump is on!"

ttu
01-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Learn something new everyday!! This way you can probably empty the tanks better.

On my 05 X2 they empty out each side of the boat, when I have all three tanks emptying, there's a pretty good stream coming out of the boat. "Hey, your bilge pump is on!"

yeah, but i was thinking "what the crap" when my jhose split and i was driving across the lake and had my boat looked like on the the boat's that put out fires! bilge shooting out all three ballast fill up exits.:mad:

TMCNo1
01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
When I empty my ballast tanks, It smells like.....................well, you know!

Roonie's
01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah they only start pissin out the side of the boat when the ballast is full. 07 and newer they drain out the bottom of hull through same intake. So 1 intake/outlet on bottom of hull. Three outlets/breather tubes on side of boat for 3 ballast tanks.

You can get the gauges calibrated which is what I did so they read accurately. When it shows empty sure enough I start to hear the pump run dry.

I am going to plumb into existing ballast three more soft tanks for more ballast and they will be run off same pumps and using same tubes as stock. I just have to reset the timer on the pumps which I hear is very difficult to do in 07.

TX.X-30 fan
01-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey Sodar you don't need to go through all that, just get a couple of ex-girlfriends to sit in the back. :confused:

:D