PDA

View Full Version : Before we go look ..

MNWild
01-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi All,

Thanks to all the positive and encouraging information we have received from watching this board for over a year now, we are going to look at a used Prostar 190 on Sat.
A few stats on the vessel: Asking $17,900.00, Year:1998, 189hours, LT-1 Corvette Motor w/330 H.P., powerslot tranny, located in MN, freshwater use only, 2nd owner (bought from a friend). Single axle surge brake trailer, and custom cover are included. Very clean, and well maintained.
We are not new to the boating world, but are new to the inboard.
Are there any specifics that we should look for or ask about this year?

Thanks for any and all responses

TMCNo1
01-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi All,

Thanks to all the positive and encouraging information we have received from watching this board for over a year now, we are going to look at a used Prostar 190 on Sat.
A few stats on the vessel: Asking $17,900.00, Year:1998, 189hours, LT-1 Corvette Motor w/330 H.P., powerslot tranny, located in MN, freshwater use only, 2nd owner (bought from a friend). Single axle surge brake trailer, and custom cover are included. Very clean, and well maintained.
We are not new to the boating world, but are new to the inboard.
Are there any specifics that we should look for or ask about this year?

Thanks for any and all responses

A good on the water test drive and ski session along with a good inspection by a marine mechanic would be first on my list if I were looking.

yippikaiyay
01-17-2008, 02:32 PM
The hours seem really low for a 10 season boat. The condition should reflect that, unless it has spent alot of time sitting in the water/sun or both.

oldriver
01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
That is the same boat I bought in October(year ,make, model,engine and tranny)Mine has a shower and heater,Safe-t-top,aftermarket sound system.Great boat,Does the boat have the PPTS system installed??Mine did not and I have aquired all the parts and in the spring I will upgrade to this system,(hydrorails and rudder)Sounds like you have found a beauty,Follow the experts advice,get it looked over.You can have the ECM read, I did to validate the engine hours,and on the FAQ's there is a boat buyers guide,I used that along with a nice hour ski behind to make my decision.A lot can be told from the eye as to how it has been taken care of.Best of luck and send some pics...What color is the boat?There are pics of mine in the showcase.Pm me if any questions.

bridomine99
01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
The boat your refering to looks like a nice boat from the add. I would also consider the 99 at Redline Watersports in Madison. I talked to Mike at the dealership and it sounded like a nice boat.

shepherd
01-17-2008, 02:56 PM
A good on the water test drive and ski session along with a good inspection by a marine mechanic would be first on my list if I were looking.

Great advice, but that might be kind of tough in Minnesota right now! Bring the boat down here and we'll put 'er to the test! :D

peason
01-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Have you looked at the Minneapolis craiglist lately. There have been a couple of MasterCrafts posted lately. A 190 is a great ski boat - but may not be a great all around boat. You may want to compare to a 1998 ProStar 205 that was just listed @ $22,500. The 205 has a great all around wake and an open bow if you have several people going out. I would have bought a used 205, but I was able to get a good deal on a 209 when I was in the market.
You can't go wrong either way - We have been inboard owners for 14 years now and have made alot of great memories boating, skiing, barefooting, surfing, tubing and wakeboarding behind our boats.

BrianM
01-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Does the boat have the PPTS system installed?

Good question. Does the boat have the hydrorails and rudder.

MNWild
01-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all the great info! I'm making "notes". We'll approach this sale w/some strong questions thanks to this board.
I only saw a few pics of the boat before the listing was pulled, but it looks white/black or navy.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2008, 04:04 PM
If I recall correctly, TMC member Datdude had the same boat until recently. Might consider sending him a PM if he doesn't chime in here.

east tx skier
01-17-2008, 06:23 PM
All of the 98-00 boats had the PPTS (positive pressure tracking system). This was MCs marketing term for the new hull design along with four tracking fins. the hydrorails and rudder where simply a 'fix' for complaints about the wake.

Good question none the less. Does the boat have the hydrorails and rudder.

One of the dealers may be able to comment on this, but I looked a 1998 brochure and saw no reference to the PPTS, which I thought only included the foiled rudder and fourth skeg rather than a hull designed to work in conjunction with such additions.

The hydrorails were a 1999 addition that were also offered as bolt on options for 1998 190s.

As far as the hull, there was no change that I am aware of other than the hydrorail additions in 1999, but they don't appear to be glassed in, even on the 99s.

starman205
01-17-2008, 06:23 PM
MNWILD, The owner may have room for negotiating. He had it listed for $16,000 on Craigslist before he pulled the add in the fall. :)

bridomine99
01-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the great info! I'm making "notes". We'll approach this sale w/some strong questions thanks to this board.
I only saw a few pics of the boat before the listing was pulled, but it looks white/black or navy.

If it is the one from Craigslist I have in mind it is black and white with tan carpet and has been posted on there for sometime. Couldn't find the add today though.

BrianM
01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
One of the dealers may be able to comment on this, but I looked a 1998 brochure and saw no reference to the PPTS, which I thought only included the foiled rudder and fourth skeg rather than a hull designed to work in conjunction with such additions.

The hydrorails were a 1999 addition that were also offered as bolt on options for 1998 190s.

As far as the hull, there was no change that I am aware of other than the hydrorail additions in 1999, but they don't appear to be glassed in, even on the 99s.
I looked it up at Waterski Mag and stand somewhat corrected and have changed my above post. PPTS was the marketing slogan 'spin' that MC gave the T-rudder and fourth tracking fin. According to WSM it was a late 1998 introduction although it would be nice to have confirmation if any of these boats are out there without the T rudder and extra fin because I haven't seen one.

The hydrorail were in fact only a bolt/glue on fix for the wake complaints and was standard on 1999 and 2000 boats and offered as a retrofit to the 1998. The hydrorails were not part of the PPTS. I have seen many '98s without the rails.

Bottom line is that the 1998-2000 Prostar 190 hull is widely considered to be the red headed step child of MC. I personally think that a lot of the 'stories' about this boat are hype. I have spent a lot of time sking behind a '98 with the PPTS but without the hydrorails and think overall it is a nice boat. That being said the 95-97 or the 01+ Prostar skis better and does not have the stigma.

BrianM
01-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Here is the info from WSM. I love the very first line. "developed... to work with the 190's new Pro Wake hull" :rolleyes:
The Positive Pressure Tracking System was developed by MasterCraft design consultants Rob Shirley and Kris LaPoint to work with the 190's new ProWake hull.
The system consists of a four-fin keel configuration and a unique dual-plane rudder design. Research and testing have shown that a four-fin system, when used in combination with MasterCraft's new rudder design, provides significant increases in turning stability, tracking ability and skiing performance. The system works by maintaining positive water pressure on key surfaces of the boat's underwater running gear.
WaterSki was able to test-drive one of the first production 190s to be equipped with the Positive Pressure Tracking System. We felt that the new system allowed the boat to remain flatter during turns and also enhances tracking and towing stability.
MasterCraft is offering the Positive Pressure Tracking System on all ProStar 190 models, yet is not increasing the retail price of the boat.

sethro
01-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I've also spent some time behind a 98 Prostar with PPTS (rudder wing and fourth fin) with the LT1...no hydro rails. Slaloms fine, but trick table was like skiing on gravel...lots of turbulence. Wakeboard wake was pretty good with a sac along each side of the engine.

My biggest gripe about the boat wasn't from the end of the rope, it was in the driver's seat...and specifically bow rise. Had a hard time lining up for the course as I couldn't see the boat guides till the nose settled down. And as for that increased tracking ability and steering stability, well, I just didn't seem to notice any improvement there. If you compare the interior including dash etc. of Malibu and CC from that year it seems cheap.

This is all just an opinion of course.

oldriver
01-17-2008, 08:40 PM
the fix with the hydrorails is a 17 degree foil on the rudder (acts like the hook of the newer boats)to drop the nose,raise the stern.

east tx skier
01-17-2008, 09:26 PM
the fix with the hydrorails is a 17 degree foil on the rudder (acts like the hook of the newer boats)to drop the nose,raise the stern.

Actually, the "hydrorails" are the bolt on pieces on either side of the hull to shallow out the spray relief pockets (or at least that's there they are bolted on).

I don't know if the foiled rudder has any sort of fancy MC name.

BrianM
01-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I don't know if the foiled rudder has any sort of fancy MC name.

As stated above the foiled rudder is one piece of the PPTS along with the 4th fin.

BrianM
01-18-2008, 09:50 AM
And as for that increased tracking ability and steering stability, well, I just didn't seem to notice any improvement there..
I have driven a '97 and '98 back to back on the same afternoon. The '98 is much harder to turn. The boat feels like it is digging in around a corner and I would say that the '98 holds a better straight line. The '97 has much more nimble handling overall. Doing a bat turn in them really shows the difference. The '98 kind of digs its nose in and then makes an extremely sharp turn. The '97 kinda pops up out of the water and spins like a top.

ShamrockIV
01-18-2008, 09:56 AM
seems Really low on the hours!! can u unplug the hour meter? i have seen it done on older boats i was just wondering if u could on a 98!!

east tx skier
01-18-2008, 11:03 AM
The '98 is much harder to turn. The boat feels like it is digging in around a corner.

PPTS ... engaged!

seems Really low on the hours!! can u unplug the hour meter? i have seen it done on older boats i was just wondering if u could on a 98!!

You can. But you can get a dealer to check the hours on that Chevy engine to see if they match up.

While low, my 98 had that many hours as well. But as it's a Ford, I didn't have the option to get them checked. So the notion that my hour meter is accurate is derived from my cross referencing the records over the years, which indicate low, but seemingly regular use.

oldriver
01-18-2008, 04:18 PM
My 98 has 81.4 hours on the meter,My ECM which cannot be altered,reads 75.8 hours so these low hour boats are out there.

sully
01-18-2008, 06:58 PM
here is another one

http://www.waterskis.com/1998-MasterCraft-ProStar-190-Used-Waterski-Boat-p/1998%20mastercraft%20prostar%20190.htm

Can't sat enough about Midwest!!

JLeuck64
01-18-2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17862&highlight=prostar+Stars+Stripes

Take a look at Captain Planet's post in this thread.
Regards,