PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tri star feedback

kdjose
01-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Hello all,

After many years salivating I bought a pro star last spring and skied our buns off onNew Mexico's beautiful Abiquiu Lake (picture skiing through a Georgia O'Keefe painting). Anyway, though this boat is ideal for us former 3 event skiers, it is a bit cramped for a lake that really has no place to lay family and friends off on shore comfortably whilst skiers are being pulled. The pro star now resides at our family ski mecca in northern Wisconsin and is perfect.

I am looking to buy another used MC for this summer that will live in NM. I am interested in a Tri Star for its open bow and larger hull. My questions to tri star owners are:

How has your boat performed at high altitude (7,000' +)?
How does the wake and trick table compare to a pro star?
Any significant maintenance issues common to older Tri Stars I should be aware of?
Any other feedback would be great! Thanks again.

kj

phecksel
01-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Are you talking about the larger Tri-Star? The 19' was a fake 19' in length. It had an interesting flat table.

ttu
01-17-2008, 11:52 AM
i have posted this pic before. unsure if the dealer still has it. located in hutchinson ks.

kdjose
01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
The boat I am looking at is a tri star 190, which must be the 19'. thanks for the pics! Nice looking boat, is it listed for sale online somewhere?

ttu
01-17-2008, 12:21 PM
The boat I am looking at is a tri star 190, which must be the 19'. thanks for the pics! Nice looking boat, is it listed for sale online somewhere?

go to boattraderonline.com and use zip code 67505. pier 5 boat sales.

i bought my 1st inboard boat from him and had very good luck.

kdjose
01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I'll check it out. Thanks!

jenglin
01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I currently own an 88 Tri Star 190 and love it. As far as any problems I have had none to speak of. It always started and ran great. As far as skiing behind I love it. It has a little harder and wider wake for slalomn but the size of the wake is very minimal at 36 mph. The only downside to the open bow is when there are two adults in the front, it tends to take water over the front bow. Even with the open empty if you hit a wake just right you'll get water over the bow. The bows on the Tri Stars just sit really low to the water. Other then that I have a small family and it works great for us to have a varsitle family boat with the performance of a professional ski boat.

pkskier
01-17-2008, 04:15 PM
I have an '87 TriStar 190 and love the boat, but what was alluded to earlier about a fake 19' is that the integrated platform is part of the 19',
so the interior is closer to a 17' boat. As far as space and storage in a 190 look for an '89 or later as they made some changes to the interior providing a little more room and storage than what I have. Storage on my boat is the only complaint I have and it can't be too bad since I have kept the boat for 20 years. I have almost 1500 hours on it and other than normal wear & tear and maintenance I have had no problems.

phecksel
01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
I kept mine for a really long time, and sometimes regret selling it.

I had the closed bow, and dug the bow several times without weight up front. Loved the way the boat handled, it should have a good trick wake. People have talked about putting fat sacks in the tristars and getting a great wake. Guy I sold mine to was a big wake boarder. If you're looking for a boat to carry a lot of stuff and or people, this may not be the boat you're looking for. If you want a great Mastercraft product, that is a great value, they're great boats!

damaged442
01-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I have an 89 Tristar 190 closed bow. Like the others said, watch putting the bow underwater. I have done it a few times before, I could easily imagine it being worse with the open bow and some people up front. I have had no problems with the boat, just the routine maintenance. With four people across the back it has a nice wake with a good lip. Make sure you do not stop suddenly or they all get damp!! :D The slalom wake at 34-36 is decent also. I've owned the boat five years now, and have averaged 35 hours a summer with it. It runs and handles well and I enjoy the hell out of it. Good luck! Keep us posted.

jhedges
02-15-2008, 01:41 AM
We upgraded from a correct Craft 19' Martinique about 4 years ago. needed more room for the family. Looked high and low for a 220 Tri-Star but they are hard to come by.

Our search however turned up another great MC in this vintage the Maristar 240. We bought ours through boatraderonline in 2005 and love it. It is BIG. Coast guard capacity for 12. If it was 2" longer it would be a 250.

We surf and wakeboard on ours with just a flyhigh pole.

SkiDog
02-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Monte has a Tristar220 Walk Around that he's like to sell! Great Boat! He's got his eyes on a new X2;)

Monte
02-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Monte has a Tristar220 Walk Around that he's like to sell! Great Boat! He's got his eyes on a new X2;)

THAT is funny:D I can say THIS.. I've never buried the bow;)