PDA

View Full Version : Mounting extra amps?

GreenSpirit Hydro
01-17-2008, 11:47 AM
I have decided to add (2) JL audio amps to my 07 x-star. I figured I would mount them in the same storage compartment the stock amp was mounted. Can I drill into that carpeted material like the stock amp is mounted? Am I gonna hit fiberglass if the screws are to long? Any ideas?

Ole Miss Rebels
01-17-2008, 12:16 PM
certainly you would want to be careful not to go through the fiberglass. that area on my 05 xstar is a raised double-wall. i would pull a screw out of the existing amp and get some the same size. then just make sure that your new amps are mounted on the raised -up area and you should be fine. when in doubt, however, i would go to a stereo shop that your dealership uses and let them help you out, they know all of the secrets to running wires in a boat and mounting the amps properly. that's what i did and i didn't regret paying them. just be sure to use a reputable stereo installlation company and preferrably the one that does the work for the local MC dealership. then specifically request that they give you the technician that specializes in boats. if he isn't in that day, wait until he is there. good luck and let us know how it works out.

rrbooker
01-17-2008, 01:45 PM
are you just replacing the factory amps or are you adding 2 more amps?
I can't remember the length of the S.S screw i used, but 3/4 of an inch should be fine!

GreenSpirit Hydro
01-17-2008, 03:28 PM
I am going to add (2) more amps wanted to install them just like you have.

rrbooker
01-17-2008, 04:02 PM
did you already extend the mounting surface, or are the amps you are adding dimensionally smaller than mine?

helton333
01-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Here is what I did and I recommend it. Go get one of the white lexan cutting boards, big enough for your amp to fit on - it should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick (looks like white molded plastic). you can get it at Walmart, Linens and things, etc.

I mounted my amp to it using small metal screws, then mounted it to the floor with Industrial Velcro. You can get it (it comes in a silver box marked "Industrial") at Home depot, lowes.

The Velcro alone holds mine to the floor. Of course, use the side of the velcro that grabs your carpet fibers. Once you put it down, rub it back and forth into the carpet to get it to grab and set.

The Lexan is heatproof, will keep it off floor in case of water entry and provides a great insulator in case of electrical issues.

Good luck

tbd01
01-17-2008, 08:04 PM
rrbooker, thsat is one sweet looking install, nice and clean, sweeet!

phecksel
01-18-2008, 12:57 PM
what is the purpose of the 2x2 chunk of wood?

rspiecha
01-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Is it holding that piece on the wall as you glue it or something???

rrbooker
01-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I cut a 2x12 treated board down to fit then coated it. I than glued it to the fiberglass! the 2x2 pc was used to hold it in position while it dried!

GreenSpirit Hydro
01-18-2008, 03:16 PM
No I didn't extend the mounting surface. I am going to ad (2) JL Slash 300/2 amps. I just figured since MC had put an amp in at the factory at that specific location, then it would be kosher to add the other two amps right beside the factory installed amp. Figured that would be a safe place to mount them w/ out getting into fiberglass. The boat is in dry storage so I have not been able to analyze it 1st hand.

rrbooker
01-18-2008, 03:42 PM
The JL 300/2, side by side will be about 6" to 7" longer the my 1000/1. It'll be tight but i think they will fit on just the factory mounting wall!