PDA

View Full Version : Cool snowmobile video....

bigmac
01-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Team Talk doesn't allow direct embedding....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKn9kOtVgEg

88 PS190
01-16-2008, 10:25 PM
ya, like that one better on mute.

bigmac
01-16-2008, 10:34 PM
ya, like that one better on mute.
Not an Anna Nalick fan, huh?

Monte
01-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Makes me want one..:)

except for the music..:rolleyes: Eh.. Its OK.. I guess it would be a good factor in convincing my wife I need one.. Hell what am I saying?

We are about to shut the whole darn town down for 2-4 inches:rolleyes:

88 PS190
01-16-2008, 10:47 PM
not really, and I watched that video several times in a row, looks cool slowed down like that.

The new Yamaha sleds really entice me... (pun eh)

bigmac
01-16-2008, 11:06 PM
not really, and I watched that video several times in a row, looks cool slowed down like that.

The new Yamaha sleds really entice me... (pun eh)Anna Nalick is a little wordy, I agree. Even so, I prefer it to the headbanging stuff that usually accompanies snowmobile videos.

I just bought a new Apex. It's an impressive piece of machinery.

I used to have an Enticer back in the early 80's. Rode that thing all over the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Ride all day and not see another soul or snowmobile track.

Monte
01-16-2008, 11:11 PM
This would be good music.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT86jjGz60k

88 PS190
01-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Quick question is the Apex the new RX-1? Is the website correct in stating that the Apex can run regular unleaded instead of premium?

Cannot get 93 octane near our house so its 89 or 91 or I have to bring it in cans, so running regular is a nice touch.

The fuel economy improvement would be a great thing and my sleds are starting to get on the old side.

perfect monte

bigmac
01-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Quick question is the Apex the new RX-1? Is the website correct in stating that the Apex can run regular unleaded instead of premium?

Cannot get 93 octane near our house so its 89 or 91 or I have to bring it in cans, so running regular is a nice touch.

The fuel economy improvement would be a great thing and my sleds are starting to get on the old side.

perfect monte

Yeh, it replaces the RX-1 at the top of the lineup since the 2006 model year.

It calls for 87 octane.

JDK
01-17-2008, 01:05 AM

Stock RX1's and Apex's both actually run BETTER on regular gas, and if memory serves me correctly, Yamaha says premium is a waste of $$(I've never used premium in mine)......but not the sled in the video......it ain't no regular Apex. He burns 100LL av. gas and he's got a head shim to lower compression from about 11.5:1 own to around 9:1 because of the 18 psi of turbo boost........which gives him a little over 300hp. (the rider is an aquaintence of mine). That video is very decieving.....there's NO 2 stroke sled, and very few riders that can do what Darko makes look pretty easy.

bigmac
01-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Stock RX1's and Apex's both actually run BETTER on regular gas, and if memory serves me correctly, Yamaha says premium is a waste of $$(I've never used premium in mine)......but not the sled in the video......it ain't no regular Apex. He burns 100LL av. gas and he's got a head shim to lower compression from about 11.5:1 own to around 9:1 because of the 18 psi of turbo boost........which gives him a little over 300hp. (the rider is an aquaintence of mine). That video is very decieving.....there's NO 2 stroke sled, and very few riders that can do what Darko makes look pretty easy.

Yeh, I've read that premium gas in the stock Yamaha 4-cylinder 4-strokes actually costs a couple of horsepower. I don't fully understand the reasons, but it appears to be common wisdom amongst the Yamaha cognescenti. The engine in that Apex is really amazing. I was torn between a SkiDoo XP and the Apex - the power train is what tipped the scales for me.

Great update on the video - thanks...the guy has clearly had some experience in the mountains (shot at Revelstoke, I read). I figured it had to be a turbo.

mitch
01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Hi Mac, That was awesome, made my morning. Apparently I need to stop by here more often:) Liked that song when it 1st came out, and it's a been a while. Reminds me I need to soften the wife up some before ZL 800 show's up Monday :o Let it snow! THANKS!

Roonie's
01-17-2008, 09:21 AM
I saw that video last year and it is awesome. I actually have the full DVD that little segment came from. He is doing a new one again this year. Love the yammi's especially boosted.

88 PS190
01-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Alright thanks for clearing that up, looking at the Yamaha website and doing model comparisons I noticed that because the Phazer requires premium fuel, but the Apex is listed as using Regular Unleaded. So that got me intrigued, might make up the fuel cost between the 500cc and the liter engine.

In lower compression applications premium fuel does cost you horsepower, ever run premium in a chevy suburban? ha ha. Premium fuel is just more stable allowing it to run on higher compression. But to make it more stable the combustion of it actually is less violent. So unless you are set to burn it more completely (extra oxygen and pressure) you lose a bit of hp running it. The worst is how they slip extra ethanol in fuel, I go to college in Iowa, they pop ethanol in there to increase the octane rating of their fuel and sell it as midgrade with increased octane but it runs like absolute poo. The stuff is more stable, but the ethanol component of it would love being treated to super high compression ratios. In fact many people have caught on and run E85 as a race fuel, it has an octane rating of about 105. Therefore if you set up to run E85 you can buy it for cheaper than regular (midwest) And you can run it under high pressure and get alot of horsepower from it of course you also need alot more volume of fuel.

At the moment the RX-1 seems to be what I would go for, unless I wait a few years for apex trickle down.

Roonie's
01-17-2008, 09:35 AM
I am not a fan of the Phazer. I have ridden them a lot and they are a great little trail sled but for anything off the trail forget it. It would be a good wife sled or for someone not interested in doing some of the more crazy stuff. Some guys I ride with have two and every time we go those things have to wait at the bottom of the steep stuff or they get stuck immediately. Also they have had trouble with them on startup. If they are not completely warmed up before moving they foul a plug. To get to the plugs you have to remove the gas tank. The reverse has also never worked right on them even though they have been fixed several times.

The Apex and Nytro are different in every way from the Phazer.

bigmac
01-17-2008, 09:39 AM
At the moment the RX-1 seems to be what I would go for, unless I wait a few years for apex trickle down.

SkiDoo is ferociously determined to maintain its lead in snowmobile sales. So much so that 4 stroke engines in a lighter-than-Yamaha SkiDoo chassis are likely to start appearing in the 2009 model-year (industry speculation). Reportedly, the XP chassis can swallow that 1000cc Nytro engine (or the SkiDoo variant) easily and still be lighter than a Nytro. For Yamaha's part, there are rumors that the 2009 Apex-class machine will be a Nytro variant.....so as SkiDoo works to improve their engine appeal, Yamaha works to lighten things up.

My questions are...will the XP chassis hold up? And will any of us be able to afford the new machines?

bigmac
01-17-2008, 09:42 AM
To get to the plugs you have to remove the gas tank. The reverse has also never worked right on them even though they have been fixed several times.

The Apex and Nytro are different in every way from the Phazer.

I just picked up some CR10EK plugs for my Apex. Now all I need to do is find 45 minutes of my time to disassemble the machine to the point where I can change them (hood panel, side panels, steering trim ring, top panel, headlight module).

Roonie's
01-17-2008, 09:47 AM
My questions are...will the XP chassis hold up? And will any of us be able to afford the new machines?

I have another friend with the XP and he has already changed belts several times. The first time it was around 50 miles. It eats belts for breakfast. Also that chassis is so light I have to think they compromised strength. I am a hard rider and would not trust one to hold up for my abuse. I think the future is in a lighter 4-stroke without compromising strength.

Roonie's
01-17-2008, 09:50 AM
I just picked up some CR10EK plugs for my Apex. Now all I need to do is find 45 minutes of my time to disassemble the machine to the point where I can change them (hood panel, side panels, steering trim ring, top panel, headlight module).

I am interested in how you like the Apex. I am still torn between the Nytro and Apex as my next purchase (I actually did a spring snowcheck on a Nytro but backed out before delivery). I spent a lot of seat time on the new Nytro Mtn already and have yet to ride the Apex mtn. I have heard they are similar.

chudson
01-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Cool video, snow skiiers equivalent to the "Milk Run" (1st tracks in powder). Liked the music too!!!
Got two skidoo's

bigmac
01-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I am interested in how you like the Apex. I am still torn between the Nytro and Apex as my next purchase (I actually did a spring snowcheck on a Nytro but backed out before delivery). I spent a lot of seat time on the new Nytro Mtn already and have yet to ride the Apex mtn. I have heard they are similar.

A few weeks ago my son and I went to my dealer (Yamaha and SkiDoo) and test rode several sleds. My kid is a Yamaha certified tech and an extremely talented rider. The dealer is right at the trailhead of the Paul Bunyan trail. We spend a few hours looking hard at a SkiDoo XP, Apex GT, Apex RTX, Nytro FX, Vector, and some other SkiDoo. I found the Nytro to be WAY different than the Apex. The Nytro has a great engine, but my lord, that Apex was amazing. Where I thought there was a noticeable flat spot at about 70 on the Nytro, that Apex just kept pulling, and pulling hard. I think those two engines are very different. The Apex GT is a groomed trail machine. As I diddle around with the suspension, I find it to be more and more impressive in that role, which is 90% of the kind of riding I do. The Nytro was impressive, but I'm pretty old-school and I prefer the Apex's rider-sort-of-forward position.

I have no idea Apex Mountain vs Nytro Mountain - I'm not a long-track kind of guy. But I've seen those RX-1's and Apex Mountains do amazing things in some of the deep snow mountains in Montana and the Snowy Range. I'm leaving for West Yellowstone in about a week. I put a pair of Slydog Powderhounds on the Apex. Really nice skis, but we'll see if they can magically turn that short-track Apex into a deep-snow machine. I'm skeptical.

Bottom line, though, I love that Apex on the trails around here. It's nimble, and very quick. Great instrumentation, great suspension, great fit and finish. Best sled I've ever owned.

Roonie's
01-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the review. I really like the power but do 90% mtn riding with 10% trail to get to the deep and steep stuff. Rarely have a chance to get over 70 mph and am usually around 25 mph range on the mtn. So top end speed doesn't matter to me.

I really want a 4-stroke. The Apex is just so heavy for mtn and I have considered turbo but don't want to spend the money on it nor do I have the gear head knowledge to maintain it if I did. I am good for changing belts, spark plugs, and suspension but that is most of my mechanical knowledge. Love the idea of 4-stroke reliability and worry free riding for many miles.

bigmac
01-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the review. I really like the power but do 90% mtn riding with 10% trail to get to the deep and steep stuff. Rarely have a chance to get over 70 mph and am usually around 25 mph range on the mtn. So top end speed doesn't matter to me.

I really want a 4-stroke. The Apex is just so heavy for mtn and I have considered turbo but don't want to spend the money on it nor do I have the gear head knowledge to maintain it if I did. I am good for changing belts, spark plugs, and suspension but that is most of my mechanical knowledge. Love the idea of 4-stroke reliability and worry free riding for many miles.

The rumors for 2009 suggest a model with a Nytro chassis with an Apex engine. With a 154 inch/mountain track, powder skis and a decreased skid angle - that might be quite the mountain sled.

If I were a mountain rider, I wouldn't get an Apex.

dichdoc
01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Bigmac be careful on your trip West we usually kill a few Minnesotans a year out here! Here's the avy web site http://www.mtavalanche.com/

we don't ride West that much as there are lots of great places between here and there.

bigmac
01-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Bigmac be careful on your trip West we usually kill a few Minnesotans a year out here! Here's the avy web site http://www.mtavalanche.com/

we don't ride West that much as there are lots of great places between here and there.

We have a variety of sledder types, including not-so-hardcore-wives/girlfriends, so we need a destination, drive in/drive out complete with restaurants, hotels, gas, and bars - hence WY. There's about 20 of us that come by bus, and we hire a semi to haul the sleds. 7 days snowmobiling, about $700 all total (I hate riding the bus so I fly to Bozeman and either rent an SUV or hire Karst to get to WY). Been doing that for almost 12 years. It's a great trip.

Montana is a huge destination for Minnesotans every year (looking at push pins in Alice's Restaurant before it burned) so I'm not surprised they lead the pack in avalanche deaths out there.