PDA

View Full Version : My Boat Restoration

CarlosCabanas
01-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Thought I would put a couple pics of the project i finished before moving down to Belize. I already posted a picture of this boat on a thread here. I think it was the "What generation skier" thread. This boat was built by my grandpa in 1954. I didn't want to lose it so I did an overhall.

CarlosCabanas
01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Here's after a couple hours work.....

ShamrockIV
01-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Sweet bro!!!!!

sdesmond
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
That looks amazing!! I would love to have something like that to work on. You did a phenomenal job!

chudson
01-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Good job Carlos, that looks real spiffy !!! :cool:

icewake
01-16-2008, 05:14 PM
that is a nice boat, it will definately turn some heads

M-Funf
01-16-2008, 05:32 PM
That will make a great little water taxi for taking people out to your place...

Beautiful boat. Nice work Carlos!

Slinkyredfoot
01-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I assume that the deck and cabin are original wood underneath the paint in the first picture....This is a very sweet looking boat, very nice job...

atlfootr
01-16-2008, 08:59 PM
that is a nice boat, it will definately turn some headsI'm sure he's think'n, maybe some of the "Island Girl's" perhaps ;)
Nice job is right, way to go Carlos!

h2oskifreak
01-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I think that is the shiz. I redid a tow vehicle that my grandfather bought new in 1977. He got to see is all fixed up prior to his death and I think of my grandfather almost every time I pull my MC to the ski lake. The only thing I would change is, I put some accent colors on it that match my Lake Powell boat. I wish I would have put a stars theme on it. But that is becoming more of an option all the time. I hope you think of your Grandpa when you captian her.

Monte
01-17-2008, 12:45 AM
I think that is the shiz. I redid a tow vehicle that my grandfather bought new in 1977. He got to see is all fixed up prior to his death and I think of my grandfather almost every time I pull my MC to the ski lake. The only thing I would change is, I put some accent colors on it that match my Lake Powell boat. I wish I would have put a stars theme on it. But that is becoming more of an option all the time. I hope you think of your Grandpa when you captian her.

That is a good post...

Carlos it looks great.. Good Job:cool:

h2oskifreak
01-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks Monte,

1-09 would have been his 90th birthday. He was a true outdoorsman and if that Chevy could talk. He special ordered it w/ a 4:11 rear end to help with the Colorado mtns. and to handle his camper (it's a camper special 3/4 ton). My father got it from him and when dad knew I was about ready to buy new, he said "a new rig won't be near the sled that rig is, I'll give it to you if you put the money into it and do it right". It is pretty cool; had the engine built all blue printed and balanced, new interior, paint w/ a metalic silver stripe (Mercedes Silver) also matches my Benz, and Purple decals to match my boat the Purple Haze. I may pull those off and go with an Evil Knievel S & S look. New isn't always better, huh. The 4:11 rear end also may go, it holds back my speed on the HWY and also limits my ability to show off all the new H.P.

CarlosCabanas
01-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Thanks for all the comments Guys!! Here is a picture of my Grandma (the boat is named after her) in the boat beside the carving of my Grandpa. (Just so people can't forget who built the boat)

CarlosCabanas
01-17-2008, 03:07 AM
I assume that the deck and cabin are original wood underneath the paint in the first picture....This is a very sweet looking boat, very nice job...

All the deck and cabin work is new. Cedar, Ash and Mahogany. I made Isabelle help me with the boat before I asked her to marry me!!:D :D (A guy has to make sure!!;) )

CarlosCabanas
01-17-2008, 04:04 AM
That will make a great little water taxi for taking people out to your place...

Beautiful boat. Nice work Carlos!

The boat is still back in Alberta with the family. Too much of a family heirloom to bring here!

h2oskifreak
01-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I would agree with not bringing it to beleize. If it isn't tied down there it "walks off". Nice carving and good idea.