PDA

View Full Version : MCX/slot Rebuild Cost

JerryS
01-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Can anyone comment on the approximate cost to rebuild a high time MCX/slot drivetrain? Let's assume we are talking about a relatively new (2007)but high time engine/tranny. Something along the lines of 800hrs on it as of now. Lets assume also that it was well taken care of and fast forward the clock 4 years. At that point, engine/tranny will have 1400hrs on it and we want to rebuild it in 2012.

Curious what it would take to bring it back to 'zero' time or equivalent of new. Any and all comments and ideas welcome.

Thanks!

Jerry

east tx skier
01-14-2008, 07:00 PM
I can't help you on cost, but why rebuild at 1,400 hours? Assuming proper maintenance, they are supposed to go for a while longer.

Chicago190
01-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Are you thinking of rebuilding just the lower end or including the heads as well? Will you be doing any of the work yourself or taking it a machine shop?

Jim@BAWS
01-14-2008, 08:28 PM
With inflation costs going up. To rebuild a transmission
in 4-5 years $1500-$1800

Jim@BAWS

JerryS
01-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm trying to work some numbers in my head on a possible acquisition.

I have an 06' TT 197 with 150hrs. I'm trying to make room in the toy budget for renting a piece of property at the lake, acquiring a lift, stuff like that. If I can sell the 06', and move into a high time boat, i've opened up the budget for all the other stuff.

I know that I will want another new boat in a few years. Nobody wants high time boats though. I'm wondering the cost of rebuild because I know that trying to sell a 3 yr old hull with a 1400hr engine is gonna equate to 'give it away' or sit there watching the new hull go up and down the lake while I have what will at that point be a dinosaur sled.

Therefore, if I knew that in 3 or 4 years I could rebuild the drivetrain (or at least the engine) myself for X dollars, that aids me in wether or not the acquisition is even remotely worth it.

Even just knowing what a brand new MCX and ZF goes for would help me out.

Jerry

Ben
01-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Depending on if you NEED the '06 or '07 boat, I'd consider looking for a '02 or '03 - same / similiar hull right? Personally, I'd take a '03 on a hoist on the lake ready to drop in & ski over a '08 on a trailer in my garage.... Heck, go to a '94 if you need to. Fuel injected, nice wake, etc.... Remember, property appreciates (unless you live in michigan with me), everything else depreciates.

east tx skier
01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Depending on if you NEED the '06 or '07 boat, I'd consider looking for a '02 or '03 - same / similiar hull right? Personally, I'd take a '03 on a hoist on the lake ready to drop in & ski over a '08 on a trailer in my garage.... Heck, go to a '94 if you need to. Fuel injected, nice wake, etc.... Remember, property appreciates (unless you live in michigan with me), everything else depreciates.

That's what I was thinking, but I couldn't find the right words. Well put, Ben.

wakolman
01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
I know that I will want another new boat in a few years. Nobody wants high time boats though. I'm wondering the cost of rebuild because I know that trying to sell a 3 yr old hull with a 1400hr engine is gonna equate to 'give it away' or sit there watching the new hull go up and down the lake while I have what will at that point be a dinosaur sled.

Jerry

Even if you drop a new engine and tranny in a 3 yr. old hull that has 2000 hrs, I think you will still have to "give it away". I haven't been too interested in boats that have had a new motor put in them.