PDA

View Full Version : Fuses? 1998 PS 205

coz
01-14-2008, 03:21 PM
My owners manual says located under the instrument panel, I can't find it. My gas guage isn't working could that be a fuse? and where exactly are they? Thanks.
1998 PS 205

Sodar
01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
My owners manual says located under the instrument panel, I can't find it. My gas guage isn't working could that be a fuse? and where exactly are they? Thanks.
1998 PS 205

What is the guage doing? The fuel sending units have a little known problem. They are just a tube with a foam float in the center. The new gasolines cause the foam float to expand a little and then get stuck in the tube (not moving). If the guages is stuck on say, empty or full all the time, this is probably your problem. Just pull the sender out of the tank, sand down the foam until it slips nice and smooth inside the tube and re-install.

coz
01-14-2008, 03:59 PM
What is the guage doing? The fuel sending units have a little known problem. They are just a tube with a foam float in the center. The new gasolines cause the foam float to expand a little and then get stuck in the tube (not moving). If the guages is stuck on say, empty or full all the time, this is probably your problem. Just pull the sender out of the tank, sand down the foam until it slips nice and smooth inside the tube and re-install.

Yes, it's stuck on empty and you think that's it? great! thanks! but is there a fuse box anywhere?

BTW- Is this a knuckle busting procedure or is it fairly simple?

Sodar
01-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Yes, it's stuck on empty and you think that's it? great! thanks! but is there a fuse box anywhere?

BTW- Is this a knuckle busting procedure or is it fairly simple?

Electrical is far from my forte'! :D

Replacing/rebuilding the sending unit is kind of a PITA. You have to yank out the back seat, pull the tank out and then you are able to pull the sender from the tank.

coz
01-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Electrical is far from my forte'! :D

Replacing/rebuilding the sending unit is kind of a PITA. You have to yank out the back seat, pull the tank out and then you are able to pull the sender from the tank.

Sounds like a job for MC of AZ, thanks. :D

climbinggod
01-15-2008, 10:05 PM
If you want to narrow it down to the sender or the gauge then just ground the sending wire on the sender on the tank. (not sure if there is 1 or 2 wires on the sender) When you ground the sender you are giving the signal of 0 resistance to the gauge (full tank). If the gauge reads full then the sender is faulty if the gauge doesn't move then check power at the gauge.

Jesus_Freak
01-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Sounds like a job for MC of AZ, thanks. :D

No dude, you can handle this one for sure. It is annoying, not difficult. I recommed, though, if you are going to the trouble of doing this that you replace the unit with a "new style" (relies on conductance, I think) sending unit.

coz
01-16-2008, 07:03 AM
If you want to narrow it down to the sender or the gauge then just ground the sending wire on the sender on the tank. (not sure if there is 1 or 2 wires on the sender) When you ground the sender you are giving the signal of 0 resistance to the gauge (full tank). If the gauge reads full then the sender is faulty if the gauge doesn't move then check power at the gauge.

That helps, thanks :D

coz
01-16-2008, 07:04 AM
No dude, you can handle this one for sure. It is annoying, not difficult. I recommed, though, if you are going to the trouble of doing this that you replace the unit with a "new style" (relies on conductance, I think) sending unit.

I might do this, thanks :D