PDA

View Full Version : Help...How loud is L18 with no muffler?

Ole Miss Rebels
01-14-2008, 02:42 PM
my 2008 XStar with L18 just came in at the dealership. the owner emailed me and asked if i wanted him to install a Silentmaster mufler. it seems that the boat doesn't come with a muffler anymore. it is, according to the owner, pretty much "straight pipe" out the transome. he said that the factory just started makeing mufflers optional because of the noise factor. he said after test-driving my new boat that it is indeed loud and that he wanted to know what I wanted to do.

can anyone tell me just how loud is the L18 set up the new-style factory way? i am trading an 05 XStar with MCX and silentmaster muffler. it was reasonably quiet both in the boat and behind it. thanks in advance, i need to know what to do as i am holding up the delivery of my new boat.

Jerseydave
01-14-2008, 02:51 PM
I would think there are baffles in the exhaust tips to help keep some noise down. If you can't go hear it for yourself, ask the dealer if he'll install the silentmaster later on if you don't like the sound without it.

Just my $.02.

Congrats on the new X-star! (we need pics)

MYMC
01-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Relax...there are baffles inside the "flappers" for the L-18 (and all X-Stars)... There are advantages and disadvantages to the "silent master" option. The Silent Master is quiter (3 to 5db) and has more performance than the tips, but it makes the engine very difficult to service.

On a side note: during all the testing I did last year we ran Maeghan's L-18 boat with no tips or mufflers alot...quiet at idle and running it wasnt bad, but coming out of the hole when the transom clears the water she really would roar!

03 35th Anniversary
01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Why don't you just goto the dealer and do a lake test then make a choice?????

learjet2230
01-14-2008, 03:50 PM
I think we all know what I would say, Let er' ROAR!

Benny Boy
01-14-2008, 04:43 PM
We have to deal with so many lake association that want to ban wakeboard and ski boats around here that my opinion is put the Silent Master on. Especially with that 8L beast. Without the mufflers, you're gonna sound like a race boat.

MYMC
01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Just to be clear...there are baffles in the exhaust outlets...IT IS NOT A STRAIGHT THRU EXHAUST.

johkur
03-18-2008, 12:23 AM
So how much quieter at WOT or wakeboarding speeds did the silent master (and removal of baffles in the flaps) help? Was the 8.1L unbearable without it, or how bad?
What was the price quoted to add the silent master by the way, I'm hearing that it takes engine removal to either add silentmaster or remove the baffles, although I can't believe that based on how things look in the engine compartment without silentmaster.

Thanks.

rwilliams-tt
03-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Go to the dealer and test drive it first....then decide

Hotty Toddy my friend

fintek9
03-18-2008, 02:05 AM
But along with the test ride, Not only "in the boat noise" test but also think about the lake you'll be on most of the time, have someone do "a fly by", also a stop to plane test(W/ you on a dock) See if you like the sound or if it could attract problems "from" the noise.

gwpowell
03-18-2008, 04:53 AM
Don't pay for the boat until you have tested it. I am having the same problem with my 08 X7. It has the MCX and the new flapper exhaust tips with baffles built in and is significantly louder than the previous models.
Don't simply put up with this downgrade (exclusion of "Silent Master" exhaust). It clearly states in the brochure and on the MC website: "we install noise-reducing fiberglass mufflers on every boat we offer". Also this is clearly stated on the "x series standard features" page in the 08 X-Series brochure where it states, "Chrome Muffler Tips. Unlike our competitors, we install noise-reducing fiberglass mufflers and finish them in style with chrome muffler tips."

I have attached a PDF image to the current MasterCraft website.

MasterCraft continue to advertise something they are not delivering. You have already paid for the "Silent Master" make sure they install it!!!

I could go on about this but it is all covered in the following thread.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21980

Hrkdrivr
03-18-2008, 12:01 PM
I have the L18 w/the silentmaster on my X-45. It sounds good at WOT but nice and quiet cruising and idling.

I can vouch for MYMC on the silentmaster making it more difficult to work on, especially getting to the impeller, which I changed last night w/much wailing and gnashing of teeth and a few busted knuckles.

Go drive it and see what you think.

454Prostar190
03-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I'd like to comment although I don't have an X-anything!
My S and S has no muffler(s), a 454 and runs straight through the transom. From the drivers seat it sounds pretty awesome. I was teaching my son to drive last trip out and sat in the back seat. The exhaust noise is outright loud and on par with a big block hot rod boat with headers over the transom. There are times that I wish that it was quieter. The other little issue that I have is that, because the exhaust exits below the water line at slow speeds, the "rumble" from the pipes transfers a slight resonance or vibration through the hull that I can "feel" from the driver's seat. Rick