PDA

View Full Version : trailer lighting

drbesvold1
01-14-2008, 01:04 AM
anyone have any ideas or pics of there trailer lighting i would really like to have my trailer looking sweet in the dark while driving it down to csm 08?

sand2snow22
01-14-2008, 01:22 AM
You can get those gangsta valve stem caps. They look like dice, but they light up at night as your wheels go round and round. Wee.......

On a serious note, I like the new led brake lights. Thinking about getting some for my trailer.

TMCNo1
01-14-2008, 09:20 AM
These people have anything you need to do a retrofit of the existing or for a completely new look, http://www.truck-lite.com/wcsstore/tl/splash.html
Any use of LED units is a dramatic improvement over the original lights, they last longer, use less energy and a considerably brighter!

stuartmcnair
01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
These people have anything you need to do a retrofit of the existing or for a completely new look, http://www.truck-lite.com/wcsstore/tl/splash.html
Any use of LED units is a dramatic improvement over the original lights, they last longer, use less energy and a considerably brighter!

It would be nice if someone would put a list together of the lights on the MC trailers with sizes and everything so it would be easy to order the LED replacements...

I wonder who could do that for, say, the 87 to 89 PS 190 setup?

thijs
01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I priced the LED lights out for our trailer at the local auto parts store--- rip off.

Go ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Trailer-Lights-6-IN-48-DIODE-LED-Truck-light-STT_W0QQitemZ370012281903QQihZ024QQcategoryZ33713Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just an example. There are many different varieties (lens colour, number of diodes.....) If you get the ones with the rubber gromet the LED will pop into your stock location without drilling even.

Sodar
01-14-2008, 01:33 PM
I priced the LED lights out for our trailer at the local auto parts store--- rip off.

If you shop a little, they are not too bad. I did my whole '96 trailer for $135. I cannot tell you how nice the LED's are. They are BRIGHT, very efficient, instantaniously on-off, look cool and BEST of all you do not need to touch the things once you install them. I got sooooo tired of having all my lights working on a Friday night and by Sunday, they didn't.

I have got some picks in my signature.

thijs
01-14-2008, 02:06 PM

Wow, both boats are beautiful. I love all the white. Normally I see anything and I want it 'painted black', but lets face it black boats are a pain in the arse......

The white looks so clean.

I thought the 197 on the back of the superduty was cool, should post those pics in the thread where someone was choosing between GM, Ford and Dodge.

endl
01-14-2008, 02:39 PM
If you shop a little, they are not too bad. I did my whole '96 trailer for $135. I cannot tell you how nice the LED's are. They are BRIGHT, very efficient, instantaniously on-off, look cool and BEST of all you do not need to touch the things once you install them. I got sooooo tired of having all my lights working on a Friday night and by Sunday, they didn't.

Sodar did you get the LED backup lights also for that price? I could not find those for less than $60 each. I left the orginal backup lights since I dont trailer much.

Sodar
01-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Sodar did you get the LED backup lights also for that price? I could not find those for less than $60 each. I left the orginal backup lights since I dont trailer much.

I did not put the white LED's into my '96 and my '07 came with the LED lights. I do know that the white back-up lights are expensive, but when I was looking, these (http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/whiteleddetail.htm) were the cheapest I found.

Sodar
01-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Wow, both boats are beautiful. I love all the white. Normally I see anything and I want it 'painted black', but lets face it black boats are a pain in the arse......

The white looks so clean.

I thought the 197 on the back of the superduty was cool, should post those pics in the thread where someone was choosing between GM, Ford and Dodge.

Thanks for the compliments!

Lennyp04
01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I hate to post this on here, but go look at the malibu trailers...those things are sweet!

sand2snow22
01-14-2008, 04:39 PM
I hate to post this on here, but go look at the malibu trailers...those things are sweet!

Might look sweet, but they don't stop for beans. Form over Function, kind of like their boats. Or is it function over form? You get my drift.

Sodar
01-14-2008, 04:40 PM

Extreme Trailer (http://extremetrailers.com/malibu/index.html)s makes a gorgeous product.

Lennyp04
01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Might look sweet, but they don't stop for beans. Form over Function, kind of like their boats. Or is it function over form? You get my drift.

Well since I've never towed anything except an 8' utility trailer I can't say I know anything about towing a trailer. But MC trailers are sweet but could use some more led lights, But thats my opinion

Sodar
01-14-2008, 04:43 PM

We have had 2 Extreme Trailers in our family and 1 of them is under a boat that weighs twice as much as an X-80 and it stops great!

vogelm1
01-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Has anybody just replaced the tail and back-up lights and just left the side lamps/marker lamps alone? Reason for asking is I heard the LED's draw different current levels, and that may cause remaining lights daisy-chained in the same to be brighter, dimmer, not work. :confused: Just a rumor I heard that I wanted confirmed one way or another.

thijs
01-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Has anybody just replaced the tail and back-up lights and just left the side lamps/marker lamps alone? Reason for asking is I heard the LED's draw different current levels, and that may cause remaining lights daisy-chained in the same to be brighter, dimmer, not work. Just a rumor I heard that I wanted confirmed one way or another.

They do draw differently, but I think that they should not affect the markers lights as I believe that they wouldn't be run in series. Why not just get the LED marker lights too? They are super cheap.

I changed my tail light bulbs with plug in LED's on my truck (setup just pluged into where the bulb goes), that caused my truck to think I had a burnt out bulb becasue there was less resistance-- this casues a fast turn signal cycle. I changed back to the standard bulbs b/c the tail lights are designed to use reflection to light up the lens. My LED bulds did not use the reflection and just shone the light backwards. This actually decreased visibilty.

rwoznock
01-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I have the LED's on mine, both marker, rear and under the prop and they work fine. They are brighter than the bulbs were for sure. More lights on the trailer sounds cool though. I guess more of the amber markers can be put on. Might look alittle weird though, anyone else mave more than 1 marker on the side of the trailer?

weskix4
01-14-2008, 06:16 PM
anyone have any ideas or pics of there trailer lighting i would really like to have my trailer looking sweet in the dark while driving it down to csm 08?

When I read this I read it as a "bling" type question. My first thought was are there any state laws that prohibit LED lighting under the trailer. It seems to me that I had heard that KY or TN may have laws against lighting under vehicles or trailers, but I could be wrong.

sand2snow22
01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
We have had 2 Extreme Trailers in our family and 1 of them is under a boat that weighs twice as much as an X-80 and it stops great!

We had trouble stopping an X80 with an extreme trailer. Had to lock up all 4 wheels on the truck to get her to stop! I don't think MC is using Extreme for X80's anymore, tho. Did yours have a triple axle?

Sodar
01-14-2008, 08:57 PM
We had trouble stopping an X80 with an extreme trailer. Had to lock up all 4 wheels on the truck to get her to stop! I don't think MC is using Extreme for X80's anymore, tho. Did yours have a triple axle?

Yeah, we had a single axle for our Hydrodyne.

Trailer brakes are a tough thing to judge. I know that all the dealers around here have X-80s on Extremes and just about every custom boat builder in SoCal/AZ has their boats on Extremes.

Leroy
01-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Normally related to only blue lights. Example from North Carolina. Obviously laws vary from state to state....

NC GS 20-130.1 (c)

(c) It is unlawful for any person to possess a blue light or
to install, activate, or operate a blue light in or on any
vehicle in this State, except for a publicly owned vehicle used
for law enforcement purposes or any other vehicle when used by
law enforcement officers in the performance of their official
duties.

When I read this I read it as a "bling" type question. My first thought was are there any state laws that prohibit LED lighting under the trailer. It seems to me that I had heard that KY or TN may have laws against lighting under vehicles or trailers, but I could be wrong.

DanC
01-15-2008, 11:47 AM

I believe under-vehicle lighting is illegal while moving in California, regardless of color.

chudson
01-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Lookin for something a little different on the trailer? I don't remember the thread but someone put lights at the top of their guide posts that I thought looked good and not too "blingy" if you know what I mean!!!:twocents:

erkoehler
01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Here is the anniv. x-star lights.....

Lennyp04
01-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I believe under-vehicle lighting is illegal while moving in California, regardless of color.

To my understanding, at least in PA it is not illegal to have it on your car, just illegal to have it on while driving. So for you guys that want to pull that sweet Skyline scene in 2Fast 2Furious you running the risk of them black and whites!

TMCNo1
01-16-2008, 07:08 PM
The strategic use of polished aluminum diamond tread broken at 3 different angles giving the illusion of 9 clearance lights and their reflecting onto the hull and everything underneath, red licence plate lamps and the red and yellow marker lights glowing from the backside of the rubber grommet and to the outside, lights up the whole road underneath the trailer in our case.
In NC this is all legal. Sometime when it's all lit up at night I'll get a picture.

DanC
01-17-2008, 12:56 PM
To my understanding, at least in PA it is not illegal to have it on your car, just illegal to have it on while driving. So for you guys that want to pull that sweet Skyline scene in 2Fast 2Furious you running the risk of them black and whites!

Yes, you can sit in the parking lot or at the ramp and turn them on. When I said "while moving" I meant while the car was moving, not you or your house:D