PDA

View Full Version : What Can Go Wrong? Should I get a 1991 190

alanboater
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
I am considering purchaing a 1991 190 for ~$10K. I am not an avid boater but just got a place on a lake and want a true ski boat. My big question is wether there is anything I should be concerend about purchasing an older Mastercraft? Anything that will need replacing or any high risk problems for this year?

Alternatively I would be looking a some bowrider to pull tubers and skiers. I already have a pontoon for crusing so this second boat would maily be for skiing. Any thoughts?

Also does this price seem reasonable?

I thought I would turn to the experts on this site to get some advice. Thanks to all!!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-13-2008, 10:35 PM
As with any boat, it does need to be maintained. If the previous owner(s) took care of it with regular oil and transmission fluid changes and kept good impellers in it to avoid overheating it I would not expect mechanical problems. Overall appearance of the vinyl, gel coat, engine and bilge should give you some indication of how it has been taken care of. How many hours on the boat? Post some photos if you can......you'll get plenty of help and opinions here.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-13-2008, 10:46 PM
I'd add that if it is in nice shape without a ton of hours, you are getting it for a pretty good price.

yippikaiyay
01-14-2008, 08:43 AM
I'd say the price is dependant on condition, if its mint, the price sounds great, if not, well......adjust accordingly.
If you get serious about this boat, try and find a reputable marine mechanic that can have a good long look at it. It'd be money well spent.

Jerseydave
01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
^^^He's right, get it looked at by a mechanic to make sure it's sound.
1991 prostar 190 is a GREAT slalom machine! (I had a 1994, loved it!)

Have you ever driven a direct-drive ski boat before? Once you do, you won't settle for an I/O.

jlf
01-15-2008, 11:15 AM
there used to be a checklist of things on here somewhere for used boat purchases. I bet if you do a search you will find it. It was a great list of things to look for and check before purchasing an used boat. East Texas Skier might have the link in his signature.

yippikaiyay
01-15-2008, 11:24 AM
ETS posted this in the FAQ thread.

kjohnson
01-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I have a 91 PS 190. Never had a problem with it. I use it for slalom skiing. I wouldn't use it for wakeboarding because the wake is very flat.

mayo93prostar
01-15-2008, 03:02 PM
the price highly depends upon what condition it is in, how well it was maintained, what shape the trailer is in, what you want it to look/perform like, and how much money you got. some guy posted on this site recently and was proud of a 91 and wanted something like $15k for it. relative to this, $10k is a good deal, but the $15k is kind of high even if well maintained.

lots of things go wrong, this is why you look at the checklist referenced above, have a mechanic look at it, do compression test, etc. hull can crack, engine can sieze, tranny blow, carb need rebuild, water pump fail, etc. Also, do not forget about the trailer and what shape it is in. I put over $600 into my trailer with all new brake system, winch, etc. generally mastercraft is great quality boat, 91 is a good year for good slalom wake. good luck. look in the marketplace for similar year boats and prices for reference. we do like pics too!

88 PS190
01-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Few big ticket items I look at particularly since they are a good indication of how familiar the current owner is with maintainance.

Transmission, have the current owner show you how to check the fluid, if he doesn't know, he should have records of it being done by someone else, the fluid is checked via a dipstick that has a rubber plug, it tightens if you rotate the dipstick handle clockwise while keeping the plug still, turn it left a few turns to get the plug to release and the dipstick to pull. If the fluid is pink, milky, or smells burnt you might need a transmission rebuild. Its not the most difficult of tasks but I'd say unless you've rebuilt engines to leave it to a mechanic. But figure that into the cost of the boat if its fluid is trashy.

Props, they cost alot of money so if its bad subtract some cash, same with trailer, many people pay to store their boats, but keep the trailer outside as many marinas have racks indoors.

Also look underneath at the strut, look for specific evidence of crooked wear in the bushings, it indicates misalignment of the engine. Overtime this can cause the shaft to wear into the packing gland housing or can cause wear into the shaft, meaning you might need to replace some of these items. Again not terribly hard to replace the bushings and realign the engine, but it'll have to be done if they are worn.

thijs
01-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Might I suggest this?:

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1863&cat=5

MarkL
01-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I bought a 91 190 for 10K several years ago. It's been a great boat. Very reliable. Had a hiccup in 05 with the electrical system that was tough to diagnose. Took three months to get things sorted out. Access to a good, knowledgeable mechanic would have been a plus. Can you take it for a test drive?

kjohnson
01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
A nice 91 PS 190 would sell for $13,000 around Lake Murray, SC and there isn't a great deal of demand. However, it is very difficult to find one in this area, so it may keep prices up. Also, a dealer recently told me he could sell mine for $15k. Mine only has 500 hrs and is in almost perfect condition.

92 190 PS
01-16-2008, 09:49 AM
I have a 92 with 400 hours in nearly perfect condition....If your dealer can sell it for $15k+ I'd like to talk to your dealer....

Always willing to negotiate.....

alanboater
01-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks Everyone! Unfortuanatley the Boat sold the next day prior to the fella getting back to me...so apparently it was a reasonable price for someone...

Thanks for the education and I will keep looking...

Jim@BAWS
01-16-2008, 12:41 PM
http://www.bayareawatersports.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=1376240&bvdid=3121&type=AN&indid=1&site_type=template&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&page=4&

Here is a down and dirty ski boat for ya

Jim@BAWS