PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Today!

coz
01-13-2008, 07:02 PM
My Daughter and Son inlaw just moved here to AZ from Calif. and today was my grandsons first boat ride and after seeing uncle Nick and Granpa riding the wakeboards he says next time we go he needs a board because he's really good (he says) :D Awsome day!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2239/2190217513_d5f8dd6ab5.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2112/2190050381_68447510e0.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2278/2190826040_8a1f343992.jpg

coz
01-13-2008, 07:06 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2260/2190035585_52f30a068c.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2057/2190999548_da8b9c2d91.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2077/2190039665_0d4c9cc613.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2284/2190817522_2a5ab62b63.jpg

coz
01-13-2008, 07:08 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2367/2190028941_35618526d2.jpg

lanier92prostar
01-13-2008, 08:15 PM
What lake is that in AZ? Awesome scenery. Nice looking boat also.

FrankSchwab
01-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Looks like Saguaro to me. Great lake, I love it. Even looks like they fixed the dock!

/frank

coz
01-13-2008, 09:55 PM
You nailed it Frank! I'm new here to the valley (from so cal) and I was real limited on lakes there so I'm really enjoying the choices we have here and saguaro is only 25 mins from the house. See ya there.

coz
01-13-2008, 09:59 PM
What lake is that in AZ? Awesome scenery. Nice looking boat also.

Thanks Lanier! :D

Here is a link/info
http://www.saguarolakemarina.com/index.html
:D

FrankSchwab
01-14-2008, 07:41 PM
I'll be there every Thursday evening once the water warms up to 75.

Yes, we're wimps.

Let me know if you want a rundown on the local bodies of water.

/frank

coz
01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
I'll be there every Thursday evening once the water warms up to 75.

Yes, we're wimps.

Let me know if you want a rundown on the local bodies of water.

/frank

Thanks Frank I'll take you up on that and yes the water is still numbing. :D

FrankSchwab
01-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Phoenix Lakes

The first thing to remember is that it gets hot here. Hot and dry. The water temp can get up into the '90s, and the air temp to 115 or more. Drink lots of water, or end up with a nasty headache in the morning from dehydration. Most of the crowd I hang around with don't drink beer on the lake anymore, because it's too easy to:
1. drink too much, because you're always thirsty. Not good on the lake, and not good on the drive home.
2. Not drink enough water, so you end up dehydrated.

We have a thunderstorm season in July and August. Watch the storms closely on the lake; the wind can go from calm to 60 mph in a minute or two. In the early season, check the coves along the shore for shelter; you don't want to get caught in the middle of the lake when it starts blasting. You better be in a hidey-hole or on the trailer.

On the other hand, don't let the storms intimidate you. Every Thursday afternoon in July and August we head into some of the biggest, meanest looking thunder storms this side of Tornado Alley on our way to the lake. In 15 years, we've only been rained on a dozen times, and only rained out twice, though we've driven home in the rain dozens of times. It's worth the risk. Besides, the storms scare off a lot of other people.

In the summer, many of the lakes will close on the weekends because they've run out of parking. Saguaro is one of those. They'll direct you to Los Pobrecitos waiting area (love the name), and you get to sit until people come off the lake. You either get there by 8:00 AM, or you wait up to several hours. Sunday afternoons (3-4:00)can be do-able, as many people leave early.

On to the Lakes.

The Salt River Lakes are composed of four distinct dams and lakes, created during the Great Depression. It's a beautiful set of lakes; you've seen Saguaro, but the next two are even more spectacular.

Saguaro is the lowest lake on the Salt River. It's a good-sized lake. Note that in the summer, the lake level will rise 2 to 3 feet by evening as they generate power from Canyon lake. Overnight, they pump the water back uphill to Canyon. Remember this if you camp, or you could find your boat grounded in the morning.

Canyon is the next lake up the chain, and is reached from east Mesa. It's a slightly smaller lake, but very beautiful, set in deep canyons. It tends to be a busy lake, due to its smaller size and proximity to Tempe and Mesa.

Apache is above (NE) of Canyon, and is reached via a lengthy dirt road from Canyon. The road is single-lane at times, and steep at other times, and sometimes both. It tends to be less busy that Canyon, both because it's bigger and because it's harder to get to. Once again, strikingly beautiful, set in the canyons.

Roosevelt is the top lake of the Salt River chain. It is set in much flatter desert and not as striking, but can be much bigger. Saguaro, Canyon, and Apache lakes are kept full by pulling water from Roosevelt, so in the dry years we've had for the last 4 or 5 years, it's been shrinking. Hopefully, we'll get some rain this winter to bring it back up.

Bartlett Lake is NW of Saguaro, and is reached through North Scottsdale. It's a pleasant lake, but tends to be busy. The scenery isn't nearly as striking as the Salt River lakes, but there is nice shore camping. By late summer, it has been very low the last several years.

Horseshoe lake is NW of Bartlett. I haven't been there, but it also has been very low the last several years.

On the west side of town, we have Lake Pleasant. A huge lake, set in the middle of flat desert; you don't go there for the scenery. Lots of lake, lots of boats, fireworks from the Dam on the Fourth, and a popular party cove. Go past the Marina to get to the 10 lane public boat ramp. After storms, there can be a lot of floating debris in the water. Not one of my favorite lakes.

A bit further out of town along the Colorado, we have Lake Havasu, Lake Mead, and Lake Powell. Lake Havasu is an interesting place, more for the atmosphere than the watersports. Lots of boats, lots of big boats, and socializing is a big part of the draw. I've heard Spring Break is, umm, interesting, but my wife won't let me go, so all I have to go by is hearsay. Its a good place to go to, IMHO, once.

Lake Mead is kinda drab. It has the advantage of being close to Las Vegas. There are others on this board who have a kinder opinion of this lake.

Lake Powell is one of the prettiest places on earth. We go up for a week every year; we launch from Wahweap, head towards Dangling Rope Marina, and find a camp site along the way. There are nice spots all over the place. Even with the water level down 100' like it is now, its a remarkable place. Buy the Stan Jones map from Wide World of Maps. Probably best to go with someone who's been there before for the first time or two. September is a great time to go - Humidity is down, temperatures are down, crowds are down, but the water is still warm.

Well, that's about everything I know. Let me know if you've got any questions. You've moved to an excellent place with that '98 205, and we both know it was the best year for Mastercraft boats...

/frank

coz
01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Phoenix Lakes

The first thing to remember is that it gets hot here. Hot and dry. The water temp can get up into the '90s, and the air temp to 115 or more. Drink lots of water, or end up with a nasty headache in the morning from dehydration. Most of the crowd I hang around with don't drink beer on the lake anymore, because it's too easy to:
1. drink too much, because you're always thirsty. Not good on the lake, and not good on the drive home.
2. Not drink enough water, so you end up dehydrated.

We have a thunderstorm season in July and August. Watch the storms closely on the lake; the wind can go from calm to 60 mph in a minute or two. In the early season, check the coves along the shore for shelter; you don't want to get caught in the middle of the lake when it starts blasting. You better be in a hidey-hole or on the trailer.

On the other hand, don't let the storms intimidate you. Every Thursday afternoon in July and August we head into some of the biggest, meanest looking thunder storms this side of Tornado Alley on our way to the lake. In 15 years, we've only been rained on a dozen times, and only rained out twice, though we've driven home in the rain dozens of times. It's worth the risk. Besides, the storms scare off a lot of other people.

In the summer, many of the lakes will close on the weekends because they've run out of parking. Saguaro is one of those. They'll direct you to Los Pobrecitos waiting area (love the name), and you get to sit until people come off the lake. You either get there by 8:00 AM, or you wait up to several hours. Sunday afternoons (3-4:00)can be do-able, as many people leave early.

On to the Lakes.

The Salt River Lakes are composed of four distinct dams and lakes, created during the Great Depression. It's a beautiful set of lakes; you've seen Saguaro, but the next two are even more spectacular.

Saguaro is the lowest lake on the Salt River. It's a good-sized lake. Note that in the summer, the lake level will rise 2 to 3 feet by evening as they generate power from Canyon lake. Overnight, they pump the water back uphill to Canyon. Remember this if you camp, or you could find your boat grounded in the morning.

Canyon is the next lake up the chain, and is reached from east Mesa. It's a slightly smaller lake, but very beautiful, set in deep canyons. It tends to be a busy lake, due to its smaller size and proximity to Tempe and Mesa.

Apache is above (NE) of Canyon, and is reached via a lengthy dirt road from Canyon. The road is single-lane at times, and steep at other times, and sometimes both. It tends to be less busy that Canyon, both because it's bigger and because it's harder to get to. Once again, strikingly beautiful, set in the canyons.

Roosevelt is the top lake of the Salt River chain. It is set in much flatter desert and not as striking, but can be much bigger. Saguaro, Canyon, and Apache lakes are kept full by pulling water from Roosevelt, so in the dry years we've had for the last 4 or 5 years, it's been shrinking. Hopefully, we'll get some rain this winter to bring it back up.

Bartlett Lake is NW of Saguaro, and is reached through North Scottsdale. It's a pleasant lake, but tends to be busy. The scenery isn't nearly as striking as the Salt River lakes, but there is nice shore camping. By late summer, it has been very low the last several years.

Horseshoe lake is NW of Bartlett. I haven't been there, but it also has been very low the last several years.

On the west side of town, we have Lake Pleasant. A huge lake, set in the middle of flat desert; you don't go there for the scenery. Lots of lake, lots of boats, fireworks from the Dam on the Fourth, and a popular party cove. Go past the Marina to get to the 10 lane public boat ramp. After storms, there can be a lot of floating debris in the water. Not one of my favorite lakes.

A bit further out of town along the Colorado, we have Lake Havasu, Lake Mead, and Lake Powell. Lake Havasu is an interesting place, more for the atmosphere than the watersports. Lots of boats, lots of big boats, and socializing is a big part of the draw. I've heard Spring Break is, umm, interesting, but my wife won't let me go, so all I have to go by is hearsay. Its a good place to go to, IMHO, once.

Lake Mead is kinda drab. It has the advantage of being close to Las Vegas. There are others on this board who have a kinder opinion of this lake.

Lake Powell is one of the prettiest places on earth. We go up for a week every year; we launch from Wahweap, head towards Dangling Rope Marina, and find a camp site along the way. There are nice spots all over the place. Even with the water level down 100' like it is now, its a remarkable place. Buy the Stan Jones map from Wide World of Maps. Probably best to go with someone who's been there before for the first time or two. September is a great time to go - Humidity is down, temperatures are down, crowds are down, but the water is still warm.

Well, that's about everything I know. Let me know if you've got any questions. You've moved to an excellent place with that '98 205, and we both know it was the best year for Mastercraft boats...

/frank

Awsome! :D thanks Frank. Let me fill you in on me, I moved here from Calif. but I'm only new to the valley, I have owned a house on the colorado river since 1984 (24yrs AZ side, still have it) just below Havasu on the parker strip (1/2 mile below the dam) so I definetly know that body of water from parker to powell and the AZ weather (monsoons).
The info on the SR and other lakes was great and Saguaro is the only one I've been on so far and the info you gave me about the SR lakes is awsome because I live in the city that starts with a G. so the proximity is right there. Thanks again for all this info and I'll see ya there. :D

FrankSchwab
01-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I moved out here from SoCal back around 1990. My sister currently owns a house in Havasu; they love going there.

The only town I can think of around here that starts with a G (aren't they having some big football game there in a couple of weeks?) is a heck of a lot closer to Pleasant than the Salt River. I am too (Live near 7th St/Thunderbird), but never go there.

Have a good time on the lakes.

/frank

coz
01-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I moved out here from SoCal back around 1990. My sister currently owns a house in Havasu; they love going there.

The only town I can think of around here that starts with a G (aren't they having some big football game there in a couple of weeks?) is a heck of a lot closer to Pleasant than the Salt River. I am too (Live near 7th St/Thunderbird), but never go there.

Have a good time on the lakes.

/frank

Gilbert, It's exactly 22 miles to Saguaro for me.
Havasu I love, infact when it gets too busy on the river there is a free launch ramp by the dam (1/2 mile away) and we go find a cove to buzz around and ride in all day, guaranteed good water up there.
Thanks again :)

lanier92prostar
01-15-2008, 01:22 PM
I agree with FrankSchwab in that Powell is one of the prettiest places on earth. We were there about 10 years ago and I would love to go back with my MC. We rented a boat and went up to the natural bridge and then attempted to wakeboard behing the POJ. Next time, I would like to rent a houseboat or stay in the campground and bring the MC.

coz
01-15-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree with FrankSchwab in that Powell is one of the prettiest places on earth. We were there about 10 years ago and I would love to go back with my MC. We rented a boat and went up to the natural bridge and then attempted to wakeboard behing the POJ. Next time, I would like to rent a houseboat or stay in the campground and bring the MC.

And I agree with you both :) Rent the houseboat and pull the MC behind it to that perfect cove and enjoy, I've done that and that's fun for sure. :D