PDA

View Full Version : Engine Sludge

stuartmcnair
01-13-2008, 06:32 PM
When I drained the engine block I noticed some sludge in the engine where the drainage points are.

What is the best way to flush this out?

TMCNo1
01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
When I drained the engine block I noticed some sludge in the engine where the drainage points are.

What is the best way to flush this out?

You are talking about finding it during the cooling system draining and not a oil change, right?

Got me, other than rust/scale and stuff that normally blows out the exhaust pipes when it's cranked for the first time in the spring. It happens every Spring to ours and the discharge only lasts for a second or two as the fresh water flushes out the hoses/pumps/engine water passages/trans cooler and manifolds and it all disappears till next Spring.

yippikaiyay
01-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I use a fine bristle brush that fits inside the drainage point in the block -to pull out sludge/rust etc. Seems to do the trick.

stuartmcnair
01-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I figured it would go away once I fired it up. Didn't know if I needed to put some engine flush into the cooling system to help it along.

learjet2230
01-13-2008, 09:06 PM
If you have the means hook a hose to the cooling system and leave the drains out. Fire up the boat and let it pump out into the bilge. I usually do this when I winterize and it seems to work well.