PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lift, sun top, and tower ?'s for 2003 Prostar

ryancc82
01-13-2008, 05:25 PM
My father recently purchased the 2003 Prostar 190 35th Anniversary Edition MasterCraft, and he is somewhat clueless on a few topics of great importance to the maintenance of the boat. Obviously since I am posting this, I do not know much about ski boats as well.... I have included a link with a photo album to view images of the boat, tower, and sun top....just click on view slideshow after clicking on the following link. I would appreciate any guidance I could get on these subjects. Link: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=286ug6bp.2ybvnz35&x=0&y=-hj2a4s

1. Boat Lift- In regards to the Zero Flex Flyer Wakeboard Tower, I am questioning the ease of lowering it to fit under the boat lift. Any suggestions on types of boat lifts to purchase to leave it up or do you suggest knocking it down each time we dock it on the lift?

2. Sun Top- Is there any way to take collapse the sun top and cover it without removing the entire thing from the boat? We were messing with it for some time and the cover that came with it does not seem to be a snug fit and it looks kind of cheap when covered up? What do you guys do with yours? One of the pics is of the cover we were trying to use to cover it.....

3. Tower- When you collapse it, do you undo both unlocking bolts, and fold it backwards or do you come over the top forwards?

I know these questions may be somewhat ridiculous, but we really have no experience with ski/wakeboard boats. Any help, suggestions, or links would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Ryan

oldriver
01-13-2008, 05:33 PM
well you sure dont need any help picking out one of the best MC's ever made.Gotta love the 35th ,I cant help with your questions but I can see your pictures!!!!!.Congrats and the best of the best are on here and they will be out to help real soon

TMCNo1
01-13-2008, 06:10 PM
I can't assist in anwering any of your questions, but it is obvious in the pics where that boat came from and it might be in your best interest to contact the dealer who once aided in the sale of this boat or the previous owner. I know there are members on here that can assist you too. Good luck and enjoy the boat!

yippikaiyay
01-13-2008, 06:14 PM
My father recently purchased the 2003 Prostar 190 35th Anniversary Edition MasterCraft, and he is somewhat clueless on a few topics of great importance to the maintenance of the boat. Obviously since I am posting this, I do not know much about ski boats as well.... I have included a link with a photo album to view images of the boat, tower, and sun top....just click on view slideshow after clicking on the following link. I would appreciate any guidance I could get on these subjects. Link: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=286ug6bp.2ybvnz35&x=0&y=-hj2a4s

1. Boat Lift- In regards to the Zero Flex Flyer Wakeboard Tower, I am questioning the ease of lowering it to fit under the boat lift. Any suggestions on types of boat lifts to purchase to leave it up or do you suggest knocking it down each time we dock it on the lift?

2. Sun Top- Is there any way to take collapse the sun top and cover it without removing the entire thing from the boat? We were messing with it for some time and the cover that came with it does not seem to be a snug fit and it looks kind of cheap when covered up? What do you guys do with yours? One of the pics is of the cover we were trying to use to cover it.....

3. Tower- When you collapse it, do you undo both unlocking bolts, and fold it backwards or do you come over the top forwards?

I know these questions may be somewhat ridiculous, but we really have no experience with ski/wakeboard boats. Any help, suggestions, or links would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Ryan
Very sweet looking 197.
Depending on how much use you're planning on, I'd go with a boat lift that is roofless. I presume you're lift will not be under an existing boat house, or canopy. That way you'll never have to collapse the tower during the season. That's what I do with mine, and cover up from the sun and weather with a full mooring cover that I can throw on in a couple of minutes.
Can't help you with your bimini top, but it should be able to be left in place.
And your ZeroFlex tower folds forward, resting mid-bow.
Enjoy!!

Maristar210
01-13-2008, 06:21 PM
I'd love to help you but I think I saw a buckeye sign behind the boat so sorry about your luck and GO BLUE

HAAAAAA

You might look into a shore station designed for a boat with a tower. then you don't have to fold it down, depends upon money, or at least it did for me...

I bought a plain crank lift with no canopy and just cover it and leave it up....

PM me if you want more info

SDAhockey21
01-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Wow what a hell of a first boat. But I do believe that is a 197 and not a 190..

Anyways, head over to the garage thread, wow

Ben
01-13-2008, 09:21 PM
1. Very nice boat.
2. Garage doesn't look to shabby either... Interesting buckeye flag / MI boat registration letter combination.

You can either fold the tower down every time or leave it up, I know people who do both (although the foldown is a nautique, not sure how hard your tower is to fold compared to his).

Folding down every time really isn't that bad, especially w/open bow. My friend has a closed bow, a bit more of a hassle (folding forward). This also allows the hoist canopy to be closer to the boat, keeping the sun & other stuff futther away. And the canopy is lower, which may be easier to see over from the shore / dock.

Leaving it up will be easier, but you will need the canopy frame to be mounted considerably higher. I've seen pictures of side shields for this setup, but then it looks like a cheap a$$$ garage on the water IMO, even if matching colors / materials. Also, since it is higher, it looks more hillbilly & harder to see around / over.

I'd try folding it down first w/a standard hoist, and if it turns out to be a major PITA, work on something else.

Again, great boat.

cdstukey
01-13-2008, 10:34 PM

It looks like you have the front half of a MC bimini so you should be able to unsnap the sun top from the tower and colapse the arms of the sun top to put the cover over the sun top, then release the sun tops' front arm from the tower and lay it back against the tower. Secure the covered top to the tower with velcro straps.
I had to drill an extra hole for the tension button thing to get the top just right, of the two stock holes one was too tight and one was too loose. I'll try to take some pics the next time I am over at the garage.

Oh yeah, hell of a boat by the way and welcome.

ryancc82
01-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies and the advice, I will be sure to pass the compliments on to my dad on the boat. As for the Ohio State banners and MI registration, we live in OH but have a cottage at Coldwater Lake, MI. It was a painful process registering it in MI (not as painful as watching the bucks get blown out by LSU), but it was far cheaper than registering it in OH. I am still unsure if the cost savings is worth it to have those letters on the boat!

SDAhockey21: What is the garage thread? I am new to this forum and couldnt find what you were talking about?

cdsturkey: If you wouldnt mind, I would love it if you could take a pic of what you were describing about your bimini cover. I think I know what you are saying, but I would like to visualize it as well.

Also, as for the tower, we tried folding it down both ways (forward and backward) and forward put tension/direct contact with the wakeboard rack and the front of the boat while backward caused the tower to have significant stress being put on the passenger seat, which we thought may cause alot of wear and tear on that one spot.....we thought maybe just putting something in b/w these surfaces may reduce any problems that would occur due to the friction?

As for the boat lift, I am glad you said the garage looking structures look cheap, because I was trying to convince my dad of shying away from that option. I think he wants to go that route and I think it would look tacky and may PO the neighbors! He is seriously considering a type of lift that is hydraulic that extends high enough in the air to dock it, and then comes down to cover the boat with the tower still up. I havent looked into these types of lifts, but I am still thinking folding the tower down would not be that hard and would allow it to be covered better.....

Alright, thanks again. Go Bucks!
Ryan

By the way.....I believe I was mistaken on the Prostar 190, thanks for the correction!

ryancc82
01-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies and the advice, I will be sure to pass the compliments on to my dad on the boat. As for the Ohio State banners and MI registration, we live in OH but have a cottage at Coldwater Lake, MI. It was a painful process registering it in MI (not as painful as watching the bucks get blown out by LSU), but it was far cheaper than registering it in OH. I am still unsure if the cost savings is worth it to have those letters on the boat!

SDAhockey21: What is the garage thread? I am new to this forum and couldnt find what you were talking about?

cdsturkey: If you wouldnt mind, I would love it if you could take a pic of what you were describing about your bimini cover. I think I know what you are saying, but I would like to visualize it as well.

Also, as for the tower, we tried folding it down both ways (forward and backward) and forward put tension/direct contact with the wakeboard rack and the front of the boat while backward caused the tower to have significant stress being put on the passenger seat, which we thought may cause alot of wear and tear on that one spot.....we thought maybe just putting something in b/w these surfaces may reduce any problems that would occur due to the friction?

As for the boat lift, I am glad you said the garage looking structures look cheap, because I was trying to convince my dad of shying away from that option. I think he wants to go that route and I think it would look tacky and may PO the neighbors! He is seriously considering a type of lift that is hydraulic that extends high enough in the air to dock it, and then comes down to cover the boat with the tower still up. I havent looked into these types of lifts, but I am still thinking folding the tower down would not be that hard and would allow it to be covered better.....

Alright, thanks again. Go Bucks!
Ryan

By the way.....I believe I was mistaken on the Prostar 190, thanks for the correction!

Sodar
01-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Is that the 35th Anniversary boat that Bay Area Watersports had?

mtrask
01-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Nice boat.

We had the same questions. We had a standard lift with canopy originally and were folding our tower. It was working ok. Problem was we were seeing too many people handle it and we were contantly concerned of damaging the boat. We also dropped a nob one day in the lake. Over-all it was easy enough to fold but we did not like the long term potential so we upgraded our lift to the following. We sold our old lift after using for ten years and went to this. No regrets. Very happy with the lift. Much better than lowering the tower.

You have the mini tower so you could lower the Lift canopy to protect the boat more. We could even lower our lift canopy a little further, but we were happy with the height for now. Just a note. The speakers make the tower even more difficult to fold. You have to fold the front extention forward after unplugging accessories and fold tower back.

Good Luck
Sweat boat

bigmac
01-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Raising and lower the tower is a big enough PITA that one would hate to do that every time the boat goes out. At the least, get a boat lift with a deep canopy like Pier Pleasure or Floe. Better yet would be a canopy skirt (http://www.canopyskirts.com/main/Default.asp). They're probably about $2000, very well made, and work great. They can be put on any lift.

This is my buddy's X-10 on his Pier Pleasure lift before and after (don't ask me why he chose yellow):

http://www.canopyskirts.com/images/gallery/gallery_pierpleasureC1_full.jpg http://www.canopyskirts.com/images/gallery/gallery_pierpleasureC2_full.jpg

cdstukey
01-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Ryan
Here are a couple of pics of how I store my top when we don't want it open.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/P1010642.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/P1010645.jpg

cdstukey
01-14-2008, 12:43 PM
and here's one of the hole we added (the middle one) in the arm to get the tension in the top just right

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/P1010644.jpg

hope that helps,
Chad

jkski
01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
My 197 w/tower is put on and off of a lift every morning from april - whenever our weather permits and the tower goes up and down each time. The lift is a standard Hewitt cantilever lift with a canopy. I set the canopy as low as I can, so that when the boat is fully rasied on it, it actually sits inside the canopy, then I just drape a large cover overtop of everything. The cover I use is actually a shrinkwrap cover that MC places on the boats when they ship them up from TN. I use one off of an X15 so it covers my boat and tower front to back and down to the waterline on each side. Now, does it look "great"...nope, but it keeps my boat clean, protected and is easy to put on and off.
Hope this helps.

east tx skier
01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Welcome.

That is a superb example of a timeless design concept that was flawless executed by MC in 2003. In other words, fine looking anniversary boat you guys have there.

Just drag that tower out to the curb and your problems you mentioned would be solved. ;)

SDAhockey21
01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Garage Thread... One of my favorites!

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1553

Post Away. Your garage is sweet

SDAhockey21
01-14-2008, 01:16 PM
No worries on the 190 / 197 mixup, Same hull just Closed vs. open Bow

76S&S
01-14-2008, 03:18 PM
We put our boat on a lift in an enclosed boathouse. When we are at the lake for a period of time we will put the boat on the lift with the tower up. I can get the boat out of the water by about 8 - 12 inches. When we go home we lower the tower (forward) and get the boat well out of the water.

I don't mind folding the tower when I go home but would hate to do it every time I put it on the lift.