PDA

View Full Version : Sailing?

6ballsisall
01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Who here does some sailing? I've often wondered about getting a small Sunfish type sailboat (for starters) and seeing if I'd enjoy it as a pasttime w/ the family.

CarlosCabanas
01-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I windsurf. I think if you are going to get a sail boat you should go with a catamaran.

Just my 2 cents

Carlos

6ballsisall
01-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I windsurf. I think if you are going to get a sail boat you should go with a catamaran.

Just my 2 cents

Carlos

Open to suggestions. Why?? Keep in mind I know nothing about sailing. I've "captain'd" a sunfish once, and rented a cat on my honeymoon in Playa del Carmel.

BrianM
01-12-2008, 10:14 PM
I crew on a 42 foot boat. We sail races every Wednesday night in the summer. Good times.

I agree that if you are thinking of buying something to sail go with a cat. Something like a Hobie 16. They are really fun fast and realatively easy to sail. Then when you get tired of sailing you can just hang out, lay on the trampoline and catch some rays and swim. Much more hang out friendly than a Sunfish.

CarlosCabanas
01-12-2008, 10:16 PM
When you get better at sailing Cat's are way cooler. When your learning they are a little more stable. You can fit more people on them. No keel so you can go into shallow water. You can let your girlfriend use the trampoline as a sun tanning bed and post on the swimsuits thread!!! hahaha

BrianM
01-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Hey Carlos how is Ambergris treating you? Wish I was there for sure. Go get some BBQ and drink some Belikins at BCs for me tomorrow afternoon.

CarlosCabanas
01-12-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm lovin' it!! Haven't worked since August. Still trying to get a "Tour Operator's License. Just finished getting certified to Dive today!! Took us a while to get to it, but it's really cool!

BrianM
01-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm lovin' it!! Haven't worked since August. Still trying to get a "Tour Operator's License. Just finished getting certified to Dive today!! Took us a while to get to it, but it's really cool!
What operater did you get certified with?

CarlosCabanas
01-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Chuck and Robbie's

Robbie is our next door neighbour. One of our friends was the instructor and they gave it to us as a wedding present!! Isabelle and I are tying the not the 31st.

lanier92prostar
01-12-2008, 10:30 PM
If you are going to take your family on Lanier, I would definitely go larger than a small sunfish. I I have seen a lot of smaller cats on the Lake. Check at Aqualand Marina if you plan on sailing on Lanier. I know they have a lot of sailboats and may have some people to give you more information. I also know there are frequent regattas on the lake. And that is the only information I know about sailing!!!

Footin
01-12-2008, 10:33 PM
I also would go with a 14 or 16 foot Hobie or a Prindle. Both nice cats.

CarlosCabanas
01-12-2008, 10:46 PM
If you got the money go with a longer 16+ (They will go faster)

ski_king
01-12-2008, 11:42 PM
I had a small Snark sailboat to see if I liked sailing. It was kind of like a styrofoam bathtub with a sail. I used it on and off for a couple of years and decided I prefer the sound of a V8 over the wind.
It was fun learning and if I would have gotten another, it would have been a Hobie Cat.

Will Lanier have enough water to sail next year????

shepherd
01-12-2008, 11:51 PM
I grew up with a Hobie 16 in the family. Definitely a fun boat and easy to sail. I'd avoid the sunfish/sailfish types of boat. We had one of those once too. It got boring pretty quick.

6ballsisall
01-12-2008, 11:57 PM
I

Will Lanier have enough water to sail next year????

Thats all it may have enough water for.....:rolleyes: :(

Leroy
01-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I still have my Wayler windsurfer and was 1/5 owner of 16' Hobie for several years. In the right wind both are a lot of fun, much more fun than a Sunfish.

3event
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Another vote for Hobie Cat. I had a 16 for several years. You can enjoy a relaxing day when the breeze is light. When the wind is blowing hard and there's some good chop, it's a real rush to get one hull flying and hanging out on the trapeze line way up above the water. Water flying over the tramp, hanging on tight. Good times.

The boat was about 5 years old when I bought it for $2100, and sold it about 10yrs later for $1400. Cheap thrills!

The little boats are nice too, but it's a lot more like a sport with a nice cat, and you can put a few more friends on it as well.

Roonie's
01-13-2008, 05:49 PM
I have both a sunfish and a laser. The laser are really fun as they are everything a big sailboat is only on a smaller scale. They take time to rig them though and they are heavy to haul around. Some great times are going out in storms and seeing how long you can keep it upright.

Sodar
01-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Easily the GEYEST thread ever on TT. Stickboats suck!

:D :D :D

6ballsisall
01-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Easily the GEYEST thread ever on TT. Stickboats suck!

:D :D :D

Easy there Sodarski! 8p

Sodar
01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Easy there Sodarski! 8p

Take it from me! After 11 years of competitive sailing. Boats with a motor are MUCH better!

If you REALLY have your heart set on something with a stick and a sail, look for something that will keep your attention. Sunfish, Sabots, Snarks, etc are a bit on the boring side. Look for something like a FJ, Laser or a Hobie. If you just want something that can get you on the water, I would get a Laser. Sitting low to the water and not having a jib makes for easy sailing.

3event
01-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey, I'd like to point out that chicks dig sailboats.

I don't know about the rest of the cats, but on a Hobie 16 you can always leave the jib at home and it's easy to look like you know what you're doing.

Did I mention, that a nice outing on yer sailboat could be very intriguing for the ladies ? ?

MarkL
01-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I race sailboats and own a J/80 in addition to my '91 Prostar. Catamarans are fun if the wind blows, but that doesn't happen often enough on inland lakes. The suggestion of a Laser was a good one, but it is really a one person boat. Before you buy, why don't you rent a boat for an afternoon and see how you like it. Lanier has several sailing schools and there is one on Hartwell as well. A Flying Scot is a great family boat, many are available inexpensively. There are many other options as well. I'll be happy to advise you along the way.

H20skeefreek
01-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Go and talk to the manager at the Gainesville, GA West Marine store manager. He'd be able to tell you what'd be good for Lanier. His name is Jeff, and he's a good friend of mine. Tell him Thomas sent you.

shepherd
01-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Take it from me! After 11 years of competitive sailing. Boats with a motor are MUCH better!

Ever seen a sailboat race?

jeverett
01-14-2008, 12:40 AM
I sailed competitively for years and enjoyed everybit of it. If you are used to power I would go with something fun like a Cat or a Laser or Laser II (has a jib for even more fun). Holder or Ledo 14' is fun for 2 - 4 sailors. The best part is I have seen people give these things away just to get them out of the yard!!

Sodar
01-14-2008, 10:30 AM

I have seen a few :rolleyes:

Been in a couple (hundred) too! 8p

east tx skier
01-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Who here does some sailing? I've often wondered about getting a small Sunfish type sailboat (for starters) and seeing if I'd enjoy it as a pasttime w/ the family.

Funny story. In 2001, my soon-to-be wife and I went and took a sailing lesson together. We had a great time. In early 2002, I was looking at old sunfish or comparably priced sailboats on boattrader.

We went to Antigua on our honeymoon in March 2002. One day, we went to the marina of the resort where we were staying and rented a sunfish. It was not a pleasant experience. Lots of arguing about one thing or another and eventually, we got stalled leeward of this island as a storm rolled in. When we got back (towed in by some people at the marina who took pity on us), the sailboat idea was scrubbed and we shifted our search to something with a motor on it.

Within a month, we had an old I/O. Within a year, we had our MasterCraft.

I regret nothing.

Jorski
01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
I am a big fan of the Laser II. INHO a better place to start for a beginner than a Hobie. Don't get me wrong, I love Cats but for an absolute begginer they can be a bit of a handfull.

What I like about sailing and windsurfing, is that it is a natural pair with waterskiing. When it's windy and you can't ski, you can still get out on the water. It's also a nice thing to do with your kids, to go out with them for an hour or two, talking, teaching them to sail and how it all works...lots of fun.

shepherd
01-14-2008, 11:06 AM
I have seen a few :rolleyes:

Been in a couple (hundred) too!

If you call 6 mph "racing", then I guess you have! ;)

(yeah, I know, some sailboats can do 20+ in a stiff breeze! :banana: )

Sodar
01-14-2008, 11:11 AM
If you call 6 mph "racing", then I guess you have! ;)

(yeah, I know, some sailboats can do 20+ in a stiff breeze! :banana: )

I'd rather do 120+ in no breeze! :cool:

pq2
01-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Go for a hobbie if you want to bring others with you, or the laser II is also a good option. The bad thing of cats is that tacking is hard and going upwind imposible. Check in the vanguard webpage, you will find some models that will work well for you.

http://www.teamvanguard.com/2007/index.htm

For me sailing is a big part of my life, started in optimist when I was 8 and went to 3 world championships, many north americans and southamerican championships. then started with lasers, 420 and 470 , sailed in Puerto Vallarta for 7 years on big boats 2 of them as a skipper, did some races on the caribbean and also delivery some boats. Now that I came back to cancun I have a J/24 (its for sale), and we want to start a new fleet of lasers SB3.

MarkL
01-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Here's a sailboat race:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fRW3LJVYQo&feature=related

Here's what a J/80 can do in a breeze:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTbKY88V5fQ&feature=related

TMCNo1
01-14-2008, 12:48 PM

I've noticed during Speedweeks @ Daytona in February there is a lot of wind down the backstretch. Must make for some serious fender rubbing on them sailboats in turn 3 and 4!:cool: