PDA

View Full Version : make a new teak deck?

keith
01-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I have some friends going to bali (some humanitarian thing) and they always get lots of stuff made out of teak while they are in their village..

I figured, while making the kids work at the bali sweatshop, why not have them make me a new teak deck?
I want one made similar to this found in an old ad here:
http://www.tmcowners.com/market/data/13/large/1418platform_1.jpg

How thick is the teak used in this? Anyone have a design or suggestions?
If you were going to have one made for you, what changes would you make?

Keith

WTRSK1R
01-12-2008, 04:37 PM
The teak is 7/8 inch thick. There are 2 layers around all the edges of the swim deck, so you have 1 3/4 inches on the edge. That is also how they get the hand grips. The top layer is cut out for a hand hold place, but the bottom is still filled because of the second piece that is around the edges.

How are you going to get the radius cut to match the transome? You may want to send a pattern of your current swim deck along so they can cut the correct radius. While your at it, have them put one more layer on top that is about 1 1/2 inches wide and follows the radius of the transome as well. That is how they do the factory transome protector. That way if your ski or board moves while you are putting it on, it hits the piece of teak rather then your transome.

Good Luck.

keith
01-16-2008, 08:10 PM
because of the radius I was thinking of just getting the teak,but the pattern idea is great. Thanks for the info,ill post pics when their container arrives in a few months.

Thanks!

east tx skier
01-16-2008, 08:18 PM
MarkP made one for his 93 that looked similar that one.

yippikaiyay
01-16-2008, 09:04 PM

Keith[/QUOTE]
If I was to design from scratch, I sure like the oversized platforms that MC have spec'd since the 90's. Of course you would want to confirm the existing transom brackets are adequate to carry the load.

Leroy
01-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Seems like Milk made one out of some material and had drawings for that. Believe that was for a 190.

cbryan70
01-16-2008, 09:38 PM
well if we are making teaks how much would it cost to get one made for my boat if i gave you the dimensions?

JohnE
01-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Sorry to threadjack, but Keith do you live on Winni? Where do you ski or ride? I've only been to Winni a few times, but go to Ossipee more.

TMCNo1
01-17-2008, 09:20 AM
I have some friends going to bali (some humanitarian thing) and they always get lots of stuff made out of teak while they are in their village..

I figured, while making the kids work at the bali sweatshop, why not have them make me a new teak deck?

Keith

I would think, by the time you come up with some specs, generate a pattern, have it made there, get it shipped or brought home somehow, you could have one made to order by Teak World, Lebenon, TN, 1-615-444-7269 for less. It might be worth investigating.

Danimal
01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
I would have them make the platform in a rectangle large enough to accomodate the shape after finish cutting. Then just have them send that back. Take it to a good woodshop and have them do the finish cutting and shaping.

Yellow X9
01-17-2008, 09:58 AM

Keith

Looks like the same Plattform on my X9

JLeuck64
01-18-2008, 09:48 PM
This is an area I would like to improve on my 98 PS190. I like the solid look of that swim platform. I bet it doesn't sag when you stand in the middle like my current platform does. If I make myself a new one I was thinking it would be cool to tie in the anniversary theme somehow. Maybe use a router to carve out "30th" to match the emblems on the seat cushions...

austinMC
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I have completed this project using Ipe instead of teak. Much less expensive. It took me about a day's work. Epoxy and screwed/bunged then routed the profile using a pattern bit and the old transom as a pattern.