PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

lanier92prostar
01-12-2008, 12:38 AM
This is for all the mechanically inclined on TT. I am pretty sure my OEM shocks on my 2500 HD are basically shot. Has anyone used Bilsteins? I have heard good things about them as far a towing is concerned, but what would they do to my ride when I am not towing. Any help is needed.

sand2snow22
01-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Yes, good question. I was driving our truck today, it has about 55k on it and was wondering when we should replace the stock shocks?

lanier92prostar
01-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Mine is starting to drive like an I/O at slow speeds. I am also starting to notice uneven tire wear. I have 55K on my 05 2500HD. I think it is probably time, but I want to hear what the experts have to say.

Monte
01-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Any "towing" shock is going to make for a rougher ride without load... The decision rests in your own comfort zone......

lanier92prostar
01-12-2008, 01:02 AM
I have heard that the bilsteins are the best, but they are a HD shock and can be really stiff. Just wanted to hear if any others had used them or if they have other suggestions. My truck already rides like crap, I have added 3500lb helper springs to help with the weight of the camper (2200lb tongue weight). Just wanted to hear opinions about the stiffer shock. Thanks for the reply.

lanier92prostar
01-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Yes, good question. I was driving our truck today, it has about 55k on it and was wondering when we should replace the stock shocks?
It depends on how often you tow, the weight of what you tow or haul and lots of other variables. Are you noticing uneven tire wear? On a truck, that can be a results of the shocks going bad. In my case, I tow a heavy weight quite frequently. I know my shocks are worn out, I just don't know what to replace them with.

icewake
01-12-2008, 01:10 AM
there are some shocks that are adjustable, you can turn them to a comfort level or a stiff level, you may want to look into something like that. those shocks may be geared more towards a car though

lanier92prostar
01-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Rancho makes a set for HD truck use, but I have not heard good things about them though and I am not big on rancho. Just an OEM shock with a different name. I might look into them again now that I have to look at shocks, before, I didn't need them so I couldn't justify the price tag.

sand2snow22
01-12-2008, 01:32 AM
It depends on how often you tow, the weight of what you tow or haul and lots of other variables. Are you noticing uneven tire wear? On a truck, that can be a results of the shocks going bad. In my case, I tow a heavy weight quite frequently. I know my shocks are worn out, I just don't know what to replace them with.

We tow a bit, one hour each way to the lake and two times a summer we tow 18 hour round trip. Our trailer doesn't put that much weight on the tongue, tho. Tire wear is good and even since alignment, they're just terrible tires. I need to replace them, the plugs and belts. Then maybe I'll look into shocks....

rspiecha
01-12-2008, 03:00 AM
I have the mustard/blue Bilsteins on my truck. The OEM shocks were way too loose/wiggly for my taste when I got the truck 1 year ago. The ride/towing is tons better. I highly recommend them. Here is where I got them for the cheapest price. Kennedy Diesel (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/), just click on suspension, shocks, bilstein, gmc/chevy. $270 delivered.

Rob

kycat2007
01-12-2008, 03:51 AM
I use to sell Monroe shocks for both semi and automotive. They were the best and truth be told they probably make alot of the other brands out there. Plus they have a box seat at Indy and they put on a great show at the time trials for INDY 500.

Serious I am not sure about the lift kits and serious 4x4 shocks.

lanier92prostar
01-12-2008, 09:02 AM
I have the mustard/blue Bilsteins on my truck. The OEM shocks were way too loose/wiggly for my taste when I got the truck 1 year ago. The ride/towing is tons better. I highly recommend them. Here is where I got them for the cheapest price. Kennedy Diesel (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/), just click on suspension, shocks, bilstein, gmc/chevy. $270 delivered.

Rob
Thanks, I was looking for someone who had the HD bilsteins and towed with them.

ShamrockIV
01-12-2008, 09:36 AM
My 03 yukon has 67k miles. the tires are wearing funny and tire shop says I need new shocks. I am also looking for a set. I am gonna change mone myself though. Anyone else see any big problems doing shck change urself?

I will look at Bilsteins. i have KYB's on my car and love them!!

lanier92prostar
01-12-2008, 09:40 AM
I don't think it is that difficult to do yourself. I know others will be chiming in with info. I had Bilsteins on 2 other vehicles and they are great shocks with a lifetime warranty. I have just never had the HD Bilsteins before. I do know that they are a good bit more expensive than Monroes, AC Delcos, etc.

ShamrockIV
01-12-2008, 09:53 AM
thanks lanier
i think this is goona cost me big money!! looks like i have the "premium ride" suspension. the rear shock are about 300 each!!

lanier92prostar
01-12-2008, 10:44 AM
We have the premium ride on the Tahoe also. I know the shocks for my truck are somewhere in the ballpark of 100 apiece unless I get them from a discounter. Look on the web, I have found good deals before. Someone on this thread recommended a place.

ShamrockIV
01-12-2008, 10:51 AM
thanks lanier i found them once place and the price was 335 each!! OUCH!!!!!

H20BOY
01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I use the Monroe Sensatrac Load Leveler. It has a spring around the shock that engages when there is a load. It also gives a good ride when not loaded, and the are not as expensive as the Bilsteins.

123src
01-12-2008, 05:24 PM
I have a 2500HD also. I put on a set of the Rancho 9000xl's. I have a camper on the truck at times, so that makes a difference. Aside from using them for the camper, the adjustability of these shocks is mind boggling. I love them. They are buy 3 get 1 free often. The best shocks I have ever used for multiple truck uses. Stiff to loose, and everything in-between.

http://www.gorancho.com/html/products/shocks/rs9000xl/rs9000xl.html

Footin
01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I replaced the Bilsteins on my Avalanche, they were leaking after 35,000miles. Everything I read about the Bilsteins DID NOT rate them very well. They are also kinda pricey. The most recomended shock I found for the Chevy trucks was the Monroe Reflex Mono tube.

I ended up putting on Gabrials and was happy as they were about half the price of the Monroes.

jraben8
01-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I have Bilsteins on my 01 Expedition. They are phenominally better than the OEM stuff that was there. Yes, the ride is firmer but nowhere near what I would call rough.

I went a little further and upgraded the rear sway bar about the same time. The whole change made a night & day difference.