PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Team Talk

TTAdmin
01-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Good Day-

I am currently in the process of re-designing the MasterCraft.com web site, as well as planning the future of Team Talk. I know that this is an important forum for you all and a key application for MasterCraft, so I wanted to communicate with you where "my head is at" with my plans, as well as understand where you guys (and gals) would like to see this go into the future.

First, I would like to shed light on what I think the important elements of the Team Talk forum are:

· Information sharing, help, troubleshooting, testimonials and stories:
o The knowledge you guys have is tremendous concerning our products...heck, you are all living and breathing our boats and lifestyle everyday. The help and troubleshooting you all share with each other and new owners is great. And, it is this type of information that needs to be promoted on MC.com. It is this type of knowledge information that I would like to highlight on the pages of MC.com. Currently, fellow owners, enthusiasts and prospective owners wouldn't get this type of information and interaction unless they entered the domain of Team Talk-
o Another key ingredient of Team Talk is the testimonials, photos and stories that you all post and share. And, these are the elements that I would like to bring to the forefront of MC.com

· Marketplace and showroom:
o The marketplace for posting new/used boats, gear, etc. is vital. There needs to be a venue for anyone interested in selling or purchasing a new/used boat.
o The showroom is the section where people brag or show their boats off to the world…and remains a significant part of the site. It would be great if these images and comments were promoted on the relevant pages of MC.com

Discussion Threads:

The discussions posted give us key insights into what you are all thinking with our brand. Whether it be our boats, new product, events, promotions, etc. The feedback that you provide to us is invaluable!
OK. Here is what I am thinking for the future:
Take Team Talk to the next level and not keep it “buried” within our web site. Register on MC.com and you will also be registered within Team Talk (single sign on). The new Team Talk would be a “wrapper’ of sorts around the corporate web site. People will create a profile and “space” that is unique to them…with avatars, person information, testimonials, photos, videos, etc. Akin to the “My Space” model, people will be able to create their own “MC Space”. Your profile and customizations, your experiences, your knowledge…I see people posting (and sharing) information, photos and videos with others. And take these valuable nuggets and post them directly to the relevant web pages. By that I mean, if you have troubleshooting and helpful information, testimonials/stories, images and videos…that you post these directly to the relevant web pages. Say for instance that you have information or a testimonial on a ProStar 197. You would be able to post these (with moderation of course) directly to the PS197 pages on MC.com. We will have the corporate brochure copy, features, specs, photo shoot gallery images, etc. However, what is posted by YOU will compliment the corporate rhetoric and imagery. I see the ProStar 197 landing page having our marketing copy with images, and then on the left hand area, have all of the info, testimonials, photos, images, etc. posted by YOU! It makes it even more relevant when new users come to our site and read/see our “corporate sponsored” materials and yet, have the ability to see how our owners are using our product. This will provide a diverse consortium of owners and consumers who are willing to speak about their exceptional experiences with MasterCraft. Consumers like to read about another’s story and can become emotionally attracted or empathetic to people who are passionate and involved with the brand. Empathy is the energy of the “Attraction Economy” and nothing attracts more than an intimate understanding of another person’s exciting and stimulating story. Consumers love to see what others think and feel about MasterCraft and can associate themselves accordingly…they want to be apart of something exciting. Emotional choices therefore are the ones that matter the most because they make action happen…to click and learn more, submit a web lead or commit to the purchase of a new boat.

Anyway, my hope is to not degrade what you all have created; rather, promote all of the good and important things that come from the exchanges currently in Team Talk.
At this time, I am asking for your feedback and any new ideas or thoughts that you may have for the future of Team Talk. We are planning on launching the new MC.com web site by July of this year-

Many Thanks in Advance!

Phil Walker

Ric
01-11-2008, 11:31 AM
thanks phil! do you have a way of keeping all the current data from all the players on team talk? There is a weath of information here. YOu have do do some searching, but it's here. Is your plan to start fresh, or save some of these how-to's, teak oil threads, swimsuit threads, and oil change instructions?

Sodar
01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Sounds like a good plan, but I think that navigation of a site like this is difficult. Too many pages to find and read. I also noticed that in the new plan, it seems that the discussion(VBulletin)/TeamTalk element is completely removed. If this is the case, I see many friendships lost and informative banter gone.

sizzler
01-11-2008, 11:36 AM
and dont forget all of the 'tranny oil' threads.......invaluable

Monte
01-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a good thing.. My only recommendation is to make sure the daily banter can continue. That is a main reason a lot of the folks who CAN help check in on a daily basis.. If it becomes too technical some may not check in as often..

TTAdmin
01-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey Ric.

Good Points!

Agreed. There needs to be a way to preserve the valuable threads and nuggets of info that have been posted so you all don't have to "re-create the wheel in the future"....and search to find them with ease instead of paging through tons of lines of threads to get what you want to read. Make things easy to access and find is what I hear you saying-

In reading between the lines of your post and with regard to the swimsuit threads and pics...it is obvious that these remain popular. We'll have to figure a way to keep these prevalent without alienating folks-

Thanks man.

mcdoon
01-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Sounds like a good thing.. My only recommendation is to make sure the daily banter can continue. That is a main reason a lot of the folks who CAN help check in on a daily basis.. If it becomes too technical some may not check in as often..

What he said! :headbang:

The valuable tech info on this site would be a fraction of what it is today if the fun component were removed. Right now I think it's a pretty good mix between the two so that's one change I wouldn't make.

TTAdmin
01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Daily banter keeps you all coming back and is a key success to the future! And, I don't want to infringe upon this. We'll maintain the forum of relevant and non-relevant discusssions going, although only major, key items (help,knowledge, stories, pics, etc. ) will be promoted to the corp. pages. I guess we are thinking that the moderators will be the ones who will decide what stays low and what gets posted to the main pages.

Sodar
01-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I like the new idea! Just do not get rid of what we have now... add to it!!

Roonie's
01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
using us as your marketing tool......... brilliant.

The question I have is can we ever say anything negative about our experience with MC in the new format. Through sharing any negatives hopefully this is when change occurs in the company.

For example on my 07 X2 the tower shakes a lot. Many folks have shared similar stories and now MC is currently writing a service bulletin covering the issue. It gives you direct feedback rather then hearing it through the dealer. Would this be something that would be linked to the X2 pages on MC.com or even allowed?

Other then this concern I think it is a good idea and this place has been a great resource for boat owners. Also I have made several connections from this website to other owners and met them in person.

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Sounds like a good plan, but I think that navigation of a site like this is difficult. Too many pages to find and read. I also noticed that in the new plan, it seems that the discussion(VBulletin)/TeamTalk element is completely removed. If this is the case, I see many friendships lost and informative banter gone.

I very much agree with SodarSki73 on this point. This sounds similar to www.wakesiderides.com. It is a good website, but it is so much to sort through that people tend to give up.

I think what you describe might be a good building block on what already exists though. However the site might be viewed by MC, I think it has been extremely successful as far as brining owners together and facilitating the exchange of information and ideas. I'd hate to see that lost.

Also, though this my be an minority opinion, as this site grew and became organized over the years, off topic grew as a function of people being able to search on the boat related topics. While I very much like the off topic stuff, it got to be a bit much at times when I was actually looking for something boat related. That's not to say I don't think the off topic stuff ought not be here. Not only does it keep people coming back, but it also ensures that when somebody has a boat question, that it gets answered quickly.

But what would be nice for people like me who like more of a blend of it with the boat related stuff, is the ability for users to be able to customize the topics that appear on the forum's front page and on the "new posts" page so that the boat owning aspect of this site is not completely burried in the off topic and off off topic.

TTAdmin
01-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Good question Roonie's. It is stories (like your tower issue) that drives us to perform better and meet/exceed your expectations. I think that we need to strike a balance. "Mean spirited" and "blatently harmful" stories would not be promoted; however, we do need to understand the truth and reality of how you are experiencing our products. Whether or not these issues would be promoted to the MC.com main pages is yet to be determined. I don't necessarily want all the good and glowing things posted to the main pages...just regurgitation of our corporate rhetoric...people read through this and know right away whether or not we are being honest with ourselves.

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 12:29 PM
We'll maintain the forum of relevant and non-relevant discusssions going

Probably should've read this before I backed up the FAQ thread. :o I'd shoved the Death Star plans into the droid's head and was running for the escape pod. 8p

tex
01-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Probably should've read this before I backed up the FAQ thread. :o I'd shoved the Death Star plans into the droid's head and was running for the escape pod. 8p
Do you have a picture of your honey buns hair?

suedv
01-11-2008, 12:34 PM
If this part of team talk as we know it today is gone at some point in time so am I. I would be lost and bored in a complicated site with a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo. I come here for the friendships and the fun. This forum helps keep me interested in boating and our boat (which I'm stuck with if I like it or not). :D

Through what I've learned here I feel ownership in our boat and I feel like I can do some stuff to maintain it. I've learned how to and I've fixed scratches on our boat, I'm the boat cleaning person in the family and I've learned things about that here. I've taken care of the teak on our boat, bought ski equipment for our family, learned about bimini tops, I remind Rick that he has to maintain certain things that I see here, and etc. That is all very helpful to me. I happen to learn things when I come her to play. Just my :twocents:.

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 12:36 PM
One more question. With MC pushing some of the content to the corporate site, is the forum going to be locked down to registered users only? In other words, nonregistered users can see what MC wants them to see of this forum, while registered users get access to the whole show?

If so, I think I get it. Well played. Good way for this place to not seem like such a liability (presumably) on its worst days to MC.

tex
01-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Great points Sue. I know that I came to this place and was all over the tech side. Once I got hurt and couldn't ski...the fun and social part kept me interested in skiing and boating. I have made too many good friends for the fun part to go away! Keep up the good work!

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Do you have a picture of your honey buns hair?

No, and I apologize if you were the one who I referred as "walking carpet." :)

tex
01-11-2008, 12:44 PM
No, and I apologize if you were the one who I referred as "walking carpet." :)
None taken...freshly shaved this morning!

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 01:00 PM
You win. I always let the wookie win.

/Sincerely apologize for the thread jack, TTAdmin. And here I was wanting more of a mix of the boat versus off topic stuff. I blame Texbacca.

Ric
01-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey Ric.

In reading between the lines of your post and with regard to the swimsuit threads and pics...it is obvious that these remain popular. We'll have to figure a way to keep these prevalent without alienating folks-

Thanks man. hell ya, you are hearin me!:D

ProTour X9
01-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Its good that you want us to keep moving forward but maybe this is too big of a leap. I like that you want to join it with the MC page, but this should be for MC Owners(current or at some time) only (not sure if you had that in mind or not). Its organized like this, but somethings are hard to find, like they were saying earlier, what I'm saying is don't make it too complex. And I don't think a 'MC Space' would be all that great, maybe for the big guys here on TT, that have things that would be interesting/helpful to people i.e. Harold's Teak Process. I thought i was just going to type a sentence or two....:o

Keep it real:rolleyes:

Sodar
01-11-2008, 01:07 PM
hell ya, you are hearin me!:D

You must be special! I dunno what I did to the guy, but he has not responded to one thing I have said! :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

/Hello, Hello... Is this thing on!?!?!

mrprostar
01-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I think relative to many other threads about other topics this one is surprisingly simple to use. I am a new MC owner but I always knew about the boats and how amazing they are. I became a member of TMC and immediately felt a sense of pride in the product as well as an amazing amount of information for someone like myself who has worked on cars their whole life but never touched a boat. I have found several mastercraft owners in my state and that gives me a good sense of community created by one common link. As long as the essentials dont change and the freedom that we have to ask questions and find answers does not go away then any improvement is welcomed.

Roonie's
01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I like that you want to join it with the MC page, but this should be for MC Owners(current or at some time) only (not sure if you had that in mind or not)

The only problem with this is I joined the site almost a year prior to buying my first MC. I joined specifically to research the options and choices and to see what people recommended/ liked and disliked about the product. I narrowed down what I wanted in a boat and asked specific questions about it and got real feedback. This is why I chose my current boat instead of another brand.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I am and have always been against the Frequently asked questions thread. Not that I would like it removed all together or anything.

I encourage the questions and interaction. That thread discourages it IMO, Jus' sayin'.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2008, 01:14 PM
/Hello, Hello... Is this thing on!?!?!
On that note, I wouldn't respond to you either. relax.

Chicago190
01-11-2008, 01:17 PM
The only thing I would like to see added is maybe some involvement from people at MC corporate when issues are brought up that need to be addressed. For example, in the thread about 07 X-Star towers shaking and braces not being offered, it would have been nice if someone from MC corporate had explained the reasoning behind this. When other issues arise it would be helpful if someone could say that MC is looking into this issue. Right now all we have is the input of some of the dealers, which is very nice, but input from people at MC headquarters would be nice to see in some limited way.

Sodar
01-11-2008, 01:17 PM
On that note, I wouldn't respond to you either. relax.

I wouldn't respond to me either.... I was just making it easier for him to do it! 8p

PendO
01-11-2008, 01:25 PM
hell ya, you are hearin me!:D

seriously, brown crayons or brown magic markers?

Alteczen
01-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I'll add my two pennies to the mix...

I'm a little up in the air on this one. I'm all about the web 2.0 movement and I think social networks are great. However I think social networks can easily get cluttered with too much information. Trying to combine mc.com with tmcowners can be done but I think it needs to be done on a small scale. If you try and smash the two together I think all will be lost in the clutter (as others have discussed).

My recommendations:
1) A single sign on is good - go for it
2) Have a section on the homepage of mc.com that has a recent discussion thread box like the homepage of tmcowners.com.
3) Possibly consolidate tmcowners.com to mc.com servers but keep mc.com and the tmcowners.com areas separate. Tmcowners.com was initially separate because mc was unsure whether or not to sponsor a message board like this (they finally saw the light :D). This will also make the single sign on much easier but you better do something to keep all of your Google ranking pages from dropping off the face of the earth.
4) Merge and integrate the teamtalk profile as your mc.com profile. Showcase members stats and info on the homepage of mc.com.

Basically I'm saying keep the two separate but utilize a few areas on teamtalk to integrate into mc.com. Create blocks of content on mc.com just like on the homepage of tmcowners.com.

Ric
01-11-2008, 01:36 PM
seriously, brown crayons or brown magic markers? oh ya, and.... cut out moderators from the west . just because they are up later at night than us, does not make them smarter

bcampbe7
01-11-2008, 01:38 PM

I'm a little up in the air on this one. I'm all about the web 2.0 movement and I think social networks are great. However I think social networks can easily get cluttered with too much information. Trying to combine mc.com with tmcowners can be done but I think it needs to be done on a small scale. If you try and smash the two together I think all will be lost in the clutter (as others have discussed).

My recommendations:
2) Have a section on the homepage of mc.com that has a recent discussion thread box like the homepage of tmcowners.com.
3) Possibly consolidate tmcowners.com to mc.com servers but keep mc.com and the tmcowners.com areas separate. Tmcowners.com was initially separate because mc was unsure whether or not to sponsor a message board like this (they finally saw the light :D). This will also make the single sign on much easier but you better do something to keep all of your Google ranking pages from dropping off the face of the earth.
4) Merge and integrate the teamtalk profile as your mc.com profile. Showcase members stats and info on the homepage of mc.com.

Basically I'm saying keep the two separate but utilize a few areas on teamtalk to integrate into mc.com. Create blocks of content on mc.com just like on the homepage of tmcowners.com.

Good to see you posting Alt! :cool:

Muttley
01-11-2008, 01:44 PM
I like what you're thinking as long as it's not too complicated. The idea of having a small page, like a Myspace, where I could have my own pics, tips & stories would be very cool, if it was as simple as clicking on my avatar or simply searching for a specific tip (IE: typing "Teak Refinishing" or "Upholstery Repair" in a search box.)

As long as we don't lose the spirit of the forum in the process. The idle banter, meeting new friends, showing off our stuff, asking and answering questions are what make this place cool.

And like Roonie said. You need to take the bad with the good. All boats have issues and we need to discuss them to find ways to fix them. It's an enthusiasts site. The bottom line is we're all here because we love our boats.

kjohnson
01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm just here because I am a loser and don't have anything else to do!

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I am and have always been against the Frequently asked questions thread. Not that I would like it removed all together or anything.

I encourage the questions and interaction. That thread discourages it IMO, Jus' sayin'.

I had no idea. 8p Don't worry, you may not have to worry with it much longer.

Maristar210
01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I had no idea. 8p Don't worry, you may not have to worry with it much longer.

(air escaping)
Gulb

Gulb
.Gaaloop
mcfacebook.com?

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Good to see you posting Alt! :cool:

All good points, Alt'n.

Will MC be posting the older brochures to go along with the members who own, owned, or have family members who own boats no longer produced like the 205?

Oh, and Ric would like to keep his post count.

Ric
01-11-2008, 02:35 PM
All good points, Alt'n.

Will MC be posting the older brochures to go along with the members who own, owned, or have family members who own boats no longer produced like the 205?

Oh, and Ric would like to keep his post count. DO NOT even think about cutting my postcount mr admin. or there will be physical threats

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 02:36 PM
DO NOT even think about cutting my postcount mr admin. or there will be physical threats

Quotey quote quote quote.

Sodar
01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
DO NOT even think about cutting my postcount mr admin. or there will be physical threats

That is a threat of a physical threat and I think it can therefore be classified as a physical threat. Watch out ric!

Maristar210
01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
That is a threat of a physical threat and I think it can therefore be classified as a physical threat. Watch out ric!
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Ric
01-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Quotey quote quote quote. You just made the list pal.

Monte

Ric.. Got any good Lawyer friends???

BrianM

My recommendations:

With I ideas like that you should be running this place :rolleyes:

etakk7
01-11-2008, 03:00 PM
It sounds kind of like the daily banter will not be as conducive under the new website. This might be a way for MC to keep a tighter leash on the board. I wonder if they plan on keeping the past years of posts, those are valuable. I don't think this would be the first popular message board to go private if the members didn't like the results of the new website. Is planet nautique and/or themalibucrew private?

Ric
01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Ric.. Got any good Lawyer friends??? not after my last threat I don't . Pendo might still be on my side, but I took a shot at west coast mods earlier, so that bridge maybe burnt as well.

RexDog1
01-11-2008, 03:07 PM
oh ya, and.... cut out moderators from the west . just because they are up later at night than us, does not make them smarter

I act dumb, people expect less of you when they think you are dumb:rolleyes:

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 03:10 PM

I think he just threatened one of them.

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 03:12 PM
It sounds kind of like the daily banter will not be as conducive under the new website. This might be a way for MC to keep a tighter leash on the board. I wonder if they plan on keeping the past years of posts, those are valuable. I don't think this would be the first popular message board to go private if the members didn't like the results of the new website. Is planet nautique and/or themalibucrew private?

They are privately administrated, but viewable without a login.

RexDog1
01-11-2008, 03:12 PM

Ric Has friends?:rolleyes:

Monte
01-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Ric Has friends?:rolleyes:

I think he used to??? :rolleyes:

Sodar
01-11-2008, 03:25 PM
I think he used to??? :rolleyes:

He still does. Hoosier will always love men and as far as I can tell, ric is a dude? :confused:

Monte
01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
He still does. Hoosier will always love men and as far as I can tell, ric is a dude? :confused:

Is ric sure of that???

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I would like to know the "suggestions" on here go to someone that cares.
For example:
MasterCraft beach towels. They have been asked about for years. Would like to know someone hears those comments.

RexDog1
01-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Is ric sure of that???

I’m not going to look up his skirt to find out :eek3:

Monte
01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I’m not going to look up his skirt to find out :eek3:

We can leave THAT up to HB.. Maybe he will find his true umm.. Batting stance too..:)

See the help one can recieve here on TT??;)

Leroy
01-11-2008, 03:44 PM
TTADMIN;

I'll have to think on this, any thread now is subject to a thread jack to parts unknown and then great info may get posted. The useful information and the chat get mixed up now. It isn't clear how the good gets pushed to the corp page while keeping the chat out, without reading all threads and grooming them clean to promote to corp pages.

Daily banter keeps you all coming back and is a key success to the future! And, I don't want to infringe upon this. We'll maintain the forum of relevant and non-relevant discusssions going, although only major, key items (help,knowledge, stories, pics, etc. ) will be promoted to the corp. pages. I guess we are thinking that the moderators will be the ones who will decide what stays low and what gets posted to the main pages.

Ric
01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
kinda like what has happened to this thread Leroy?

Stop it you ANIMALS! STOP!

TMCNo1
01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Leave it like it is with some fine tuning, including more MC Corporate involvement in the daily use of the site. Consider a "Go To Person" that we can contact or recommend without controversy, to research problems with the site and/or/ product that will acknowledge the posts and answer questions.
Communicate with us, let us know you are there for us, like we are there for you!
I know there are things going on that could be placed in "Announcements" other than East Texas Skiers, "Pending Retirement" notice of nearly 1 year ago, as one example and that is unfortunate.

I am going to click "Post Quick Reply" now, since this is the 8th reply I've typed, but the only one submitted! I'm through!

C36
01-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted in the Dear MasterCraft thread on 12-22-2006.
:twocents:

erk:

Preamble - I should mention that I think this site is GREAT! And the suggestions below (if picked up) would be icing on the cake. I should also note that this site was a factor in our purchasing a MasterCraft, and although we did not purchase a new boat (this time) I can not help but think that those purchasing new boats also use this site as a resource.

:) Just in case others are looking into this, I personally would like to see:
a complete collection of MasterCraft advertisements (ideally that could be viewed one-at-at-a-time or as a sideshow - by model (or hull) from newest to oldest; or oldest to newest),
MasterCraft brochures (PDFs by years like the manuals on www.mastercraft.com),
MasterCraft website material from previous years posted in an "archives" section (of either the MasterCraft site or the Team Talk site); and
MasterCraft promotional DVDs and/or VHS material from pervious years (could be posted in the download section of this site as webstream video and/or offered for purchase through ProShop).

I have always been a little puzzled why there is nothing in the "downloads (http://www.tmcowners.com/links/index.php?) section of the Team Talk site. I seem to remember some brochures and advertising material at one time but can not seem to find it anymore. :confused:

I would LOVE to see some info in particular on 2001 X-5! ;)

Leroy
01-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Exactly, sort out the good of this thread, well that would actually be pretty easy :)

kinda like what has happened to this thread Leroy?

Stop it you ANIMALS! STOP!

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I'd also like to suggest that the "MC Space" component you mentioned be pushed to the profiles rather than the foreground. Nothing against our more youthful members, i.e., Lenny, JoshBuzz, or Ric, but I'm not sure the average age of the members of this forum really place us as a group in the myspace demographic.

In other words, most people over 25 with myspace pages are cruising for jailbait. Now I'm sure there's an exception that proves the rule. But I think someone had to say it.

Ric
01-11-2008, 05:07 PM
As young as I am, there is no way I could figure out how to post a video. don't even want to try.

Leroy
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey Doug, I have a my space site and I'm not cruising for jailbait. ;) I actually have ~10 friends and 9 are from TT!

I really like the MC Space concept for member profiling, but would say it needs to be easier to use than myspace. I also think we need a much better search engine. A better search engine is much better than all of the folders and sorting of technical information. The present search engine is worse than useless, I can find detailed stuff on TT using Google.

east tx skier
01-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Hey Doug, I have a my space site and I'm not cruising for jailbait. ;) I actually have ~10 friends and 9 are from TT!

I really like the MC Space concept for member profiling, but would say it needs to be easier to use than myspace. I also think we need a much better search engine. A better search engine is much better than all of the folders and sorting of technical information. The present search engine is worse than useless, I can find detailed stuff on TT using Google.

All I can think to do at this point is link to that SNL skit about pervs trying to learn to use myspace.

I'm sure 99% of myspace account holders are on the up and up.

I guess my point was, if the idea is to make the profiles more in depth, great. But if people have to sift through all of that to find the forum, it's going to end up being a lot of trouble.

Improve without changing what doesn't need improvement.

Mikey
01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
If its not broke, dont fix it!

suedv
01-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I'd also like to suggest that the "MC Space" component you mentioned be pushed to the profiles rather than the foreground. Nothing against our more youthful members, i.e., Lenny, JoshBuzz, or Ric, but I'm not sure the average age of the members of this forum really place us as a group in the myspace demographic.

In other words, most people over 25 with myspace pages are cruising for jailbait. Now I'm sure there's an exception that proves the rule. But I think someone had to say it.

I agree with easties suggestion for a different reason. I don't think everyone on TT really want a ton of personal information out there. If it's something added to the profiles it should be optional. I don't want to be on my space or facebook.

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2008, 09:01 PM
As a lurker and seeing the responses from TTADMIN I would like to say they get it! This is a community that some join only to find out they love MC later. It is not only a source of knowledge but a Community! Community, again as in Membership or family! We have a common interest yet are a very diverse group. In every answer from TT it appears the strengths of the site will remain intact! Great thread and explanation. I would say we and the site very much appear to be in good hands.;)

phecksel
01-11-2008, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't change a thing, leave the site just as it is!

lanier92prostar
01-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I know I have gotten a lot of information from this site as well as motivation to improve my boat. I also enjoy the daily banter. I agree with phecksel, I wouldn't change much since the site is fairly easy to use. If the site was changed, I would hope that their would be some instruction as to how to use the new site and features for us technologically challenged. I am just starting to learn how to post pictures!

trickskier
01-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Personally, I do not see anything wrong with the present format. That being said, this is MasterCraft's website and they are free to change and govern it as they see fit. I personally know and have met a lot of friends on this site. I hope the forth coming change will be well thought out and consider the people who have made this site what it is today.

stuartmcnair
01-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Managing a website like this can be a real headache. We run a website with message boards for over 10,000 users. We have 1200 to 1500 users on at any one time. Trying to keep everyone happy is impossible.

We recently made a change to the format of the message boards and you would have thought we went around kicking members puppies.

Forums tend to develop a personality based on the membership. From what I have seem there are some incredibly knowlegdeable people on here that also like to cut loose and have some fun. The banter that currently makes up a good bit of the board would most likely go away.

The biggest problem I see with the proposed change is the tight integration with the corporate website. Once the integration is there and threads from this site begin to post on the main site I think the boards will go into a sort-of "lockdown" mode.

I would bet the suits would not allow posts about "how to tell if you are an alcoholic" to exist on the main corporate site. A picture of a MasterCraft loaded down with many cases of beer would not make the attorneys happy at all.

In the long run, I think it would mean the demise of Team Talk. Someone would probably create another website with message boards and everyone would migrate there, losing the connection we currently enjoy with being an official MasterCraft site.

My two cents....

Leroy
01-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Doug; That was a funny skit.

I'm also not sure what the goal is with the changes. I wonder if there is another forum with the model TTADMIN is looking for.

Not sure if newbie's are too afraid to come on to ask questions or if there is too much forum friendship that spills over into people like Brian going out and draining Bruce's boat so there would be no danger of his engine freezing. I'm a member of most of the other sites but I feel no desire to hang out at the others. Even if I bought one of the other boats I might go there for a question, but the sites do not feel as friendly as the MC site.

CarlosCabanas
01-12-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm always amazed at just how well this forum is set-up!! I've always felt like someone needs a compliment for a job well done. So... Good job MC on the forum. I'm not sure what would make it better but I'm sure you'll think of something.

I really like that when you scroll over a thread the first lines pop-up for example. Most forums don't have that.

Carlos

sand2snow22
01-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Forums tend to develop a personality based on the membership. From what I have seem there are some incredibly knowlegdeable people on here that also like to cut loose and have some fun. The banter that currently makes up a good bit of the board would most likely go away.

The biggest problem I see with the proposed change is the tight integration with the corporate website. Once the integration is there and threads from this site begin to post on the main site I think the boards will go into a sort-of "lockdown" mode.

I would bet the suits would not allow posts about "how to tell if you are an alcoholic" to exist on the main corporate site. A picture of a MasterCraft loaded down with many cases of beer would not make the attorneys happy at all.

In the long run, I think it would mean the demise of Team Talk. Someone would probably create another website with message boards and everyone would migrate there, losing the connection we currently enjoy with being an official MasterCraft site.

My two cents....

My concern, too. Maybe we like to get out of the corporate world every once and awhile!

Question to TT, how many hits does www.mastercraft.com get per day and how many hits does TT get per day?

rwoznock
01-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Just my opinion but if this were like myspace where pages would have to be developed, I think a lot of people would loose interest also. Most computer savy people would have pages but the ones not into pc's would die off I think. Someone else suggested the availability of a myspace page if you wanted but keep these forums for everyone else. I think that would be best. I do want to thank Mastercraft for asking opinons though, just shows the stand up Company they really are!

3event
01-12-2008, 08:39 AM
A myspace type experience targets the segment of teens-low/mid 20s. Personally, I have no interest in that type of experience. Don't have that kind of time, nor any interest (as SueDV says) in putting all sorts of personal info out on the web.

One great thing about this format is you can pop in, check some threads, learn something, spit your coffee on your keyboard, then go back to work.

For sure, more accessibility to downloads, multimedia (stuff I can throw on my Ipod etc), would be great as others mention. But that doesn't necessarily have to affect the structure of "the board".

Why not just develop a MC corporate myspace page? Then MC can put up all the content they want, and draw in "friends" from all over the interwebsphere. More likely to get wider exposure that way, than trying to get traffic to mc.com, a place where a myspace type junkie would not normally go. You could link to that myspace page from lots of places on mc.com, tmcowners. Avoids having to reinvent the social networking site.....

my $0.02

WTRSK1R
01-12-2008, 10:37 AM
OK, I am going to show my lack of knowledge of what is all in MySpace, but I am not sure I get the connection. I can post pictures, have as much information as I would like to put on the web in my profile, can send PM's, and add my 2 cents to topics that I choose. What else would a MC space add? As many have said, the integration with the corp MC site could make this much more difficult.

Here are my thoughts:
Keep the sites seperate, but put a link on the corp site that takes MC customers or potential customers to "selected threads", or maybe even selected posts from a thread. Identify the source as TT so that if someone is unfamilar with the site, they can go register and read more. By doing this, you will have true loyal customer feedback on the corp site while still allowing the hijinx to continue on here. The moderators or the Admin can be the ones who chose what gets quoted.

The corp site should include downloadable brochures (for every year you have available)

The corp site should have downloadable DVD's from the marketing material created over the last few years.

The corp site could have a recall section. Eventually we all learn about the product issues. Be upfront as MYMC has tried to be.

The corp site could have a place you could put a common technical question section. Use the information from this site for starters.

The corp site could have a ASK your technical question section with responses from ACTUAL MC Engineers and Technicians.

The corp site should instill the sense of community and pride in ownership that already exists on here without damaging what already exists.

EVERYONE on this site loves their boat. That is what you need to transfer to the corp site.

Steve

TX.X-30 fan
01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Its good that you want us to keep moving forward but maybe this is too big of a leap. I like that you want to join it with the MC page, but this should be for MC Owners(current or at some time) only (not sure if you had that in mind or not). Its organized like this, but somethings are hard to find, like they were saying earlier, what I'm saying is don't make it too complex. And I don't think a 'MC Space' would be all that great, maybe for the big guys here on TT, that have things that would be interesting/helpful to people i.e. Harold's Teak Process. I thought i was just going to type a sentence or two....:o

Keep it real:rolleyes:

Post up those sweet pink hat pic's!!!!!! 8p

ShamrockIV
01-12-2008, 11:28 AM
I love it the way it is, but here again it is urs and u can do with it what you will!!

This is a great source of info for not only MC owners, but also for people who are wanting to get into boating!!(preferably in a MC!!!!)

mccobmd
01-12-2008, 06:22 PM
I don't have my space, don't drink beer so that limits participation in the banter but since I'm sure most of us at work have a bizillion networks and protocols to maintain that I'd like to see it remain simple. I'm not on a lot but it is nice when I have a few minutes to be able to get on quickly and catch up. whatever MC decides we'll deal with I just know for everyone the more complicated things become the less we use them.

JLeuck64
01-12-2008, 08:27 PM
I am all for making a change if it does indeed improve the way something works. If it doesn't work then tweak it until it will or scrap it and start over.

May I make a suggestion that you don't try to merge the new with the old at first. Why don't you run the two sites simultaneously and separately. Let the most effective/popular/stronger survive...

Good luck, sounds like a challenging project.

kmillard92
01-12-2008, 09:15 PM
A 'My Posts' feature so we can keep track of threads we have posted in.

(There might be one of these but I'm kinda new around here so gimme a break :P)

But otherwise it sounds cool!

TMCNo1
01-12-2008, 10:14 PM

It already exsits to a degree in your profile, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=9276 , under "Forum Info", "Find all posts by kmillard92". By clicking on it, it shows all your posts and the thread that you posted it in and by clicking on the thread it will bring up the whole thread that contains that particular post.

Leroy
01-13-2008, 12:04 AM
In addition to what Harold says, if you "subscribe" to a thread you will get an email when someone posts on that thread. That is under Thread Tools.

bigmac
01-13-2008, 12:11 AM

In your User CP, under Edit Options, you can elect to automatically subscribe to every thread you post in. When log back in later, click on User CP again and all of those threads will come up if there are new post in it.

Of course, you ca unsubscribe from any of those threads.

suedv
01-13-2008, 12:21 AM
I don't have my space, don't drink beer so that limits participation in the banter but since I'm sure most of us at work have a bizillion networks and protocols to maintain that I'd like to see it remain simple. I'm not on a lot but it is nice when I have a few minutes to be able to get on quickly and catch up. whatever MC decides we'll deal with I just know for everyone the more complicated things become the less we use them.

I don't drink beer either... the gluten in it makes me SICK!!! That's OK though, I can go places with my friends and say crazier things than they can and my brain isn't even enhanced on anything. 8p :)

Sometimes you just have to have fun. :D

sand2snow22
01-13-2008, 02:51 AM

Maybe they wouldn't mind. Not that I care, but they let their sponsored wakeboarder have a fat chew in his mouth while being interviewed for MC Rewind 2008!

kmillard92
01-13-2008, 03:34 AM
In your User CP, under Edit Options, you can elect to automatically subscribe to every thread you post in. When log back in later, click on User CP again and all of those threads will come up if there are new post in it.

Of course, you ca unsubscribe from any of those threads.

ahh ok, thats what i was looking for. thanks alot guys!

TMCNo1
01-13-2008, 08:04 AM
WOW! See how well this site works as it is!

Another satisfied customer, helped by those who care!:D

If you do anything, you could rename the site MasterCraftpedia !

kev88
01-13-2008, 10:51 AM
I purchased my MasterCraft in large part becuase of this forum and will continue ownersharp in large part becasue of this forum.

SDAhockey21
01-13-2008, 10:53 AM

My recommendations:

Nailed it... I am 100% with this

TX.X-30 fan
01-13-2008, 10:58 AM
I hope they still allow sunglasses threads!!!!!!

Mikey
01-13-2008, 11:43 AM
I hope they still allow sunglasses threads!!!!!!

And beer threads, and cigar threads!:D

Maristar210
01-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Can you imagine some 30 second pics on MC dot com as ma and pa kettle are looking for a ski boat :D

Jus playin....

TMCNo1
01-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I wonder why this thread gone dead?????????????

Ric
01-17-2008, 10:04 AM
......because of what steve said

bcampbe7
01-17-2008, 10:35 AM
......because of what steve said

Steve has a gift!

east tx skier
01-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Steve has a gift!

He special.

mccobmd
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I wonder why this thread gone dead?????????????
It may be because we realize that we have input but not authority, my grandpa told me "Never bet in a poker game if they don't deal you any cards". But it is nice to at least be asked.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Steve has a gift!
Don't ask him to show it again......The gift that is....:rolleyes:

Dan K
01-17-2008, 03:25 PM

My two cents....

I agree completely. A drastic change will change the personality and draw a different crowd. The Business question MC needs to ask themselves is will that crowd be more or less likely to buy an MC and will it be larger or smaller than TT.

mcdoon
01-17-2008, 04:04 PM
I agree completely. A drastic change will change the personality and draw a different crowd. The Business question MC needs to ask themselves is will that crowd be more or less likely to buy an MC and will it be larger or smaller than TT.

Good point. In fact I'll bet the reason you haven't heard anything from "the suits" for awhile is there's a lot of uncertainty over that question. There's no doubt a bean counter or two at the bottom of all this....with pocket protectors. :mad:

east tx skier
01-17-2008, 05:16 PM
If the change is too drastic, I have a life boat waiting. But the captain is a real jerk.

TTAdmin
01-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Good Afternoon-

After reading all of the posts to this thread, there is no doubt that Team Talk is important to everyone for a variety of reasons. Regardless, after receiving your feedback, we will maintain the current Team Talk going forward; although there will be some upgrades and changes for the better...single sign-on with MC.com, integrations with MC.com, etc. Essentially, we will maintain this forum as it exists today, but will also be adding some improved features. East TX Skier has a good point about searching for relevant "knowledge" threads, etc. Alteczen has some good recommendations as well.

Regardless, it is my intent to share the go forward plans with you all as we progress through this project. This is YOUR place and we want to make this forum the best it can be while leveraging all of the valuable stuff that is posted, shared and answered.

Stay tuned.

Thanks Again!

Phil

TMCNo1
01-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Good Afternoon-

After reading all of the posts to this thread, there is no doubt that Team Talk is important to everyone for a variety of reasons. Regardless, after receiving your feedback, we will maintain the current Team Talk going forward; although there will be some upgrades and changes for the better...single sign-on with MC.com, integrations with MC.com, etc. Essentially, we will maintain this forum as it exists today, but will also be adding some improved features. East TX Skier has a good point about searching for relevant "knowledge" threads, etc. Alteczen has some good recommendations as well.

Regardless, it is my intent to share the go forward plans with you all as we progress through this project. This is YOUR place and we want to make this forum the best it can be while leveraging all of the valuable stuff that is posted, shared and answered.

Stay tuned.

Thanks Again!

Phil

Thanks Phil, great to hear, we look forward to the improvements and see that someone is really listening!

Maristar210
01-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks Phil, great to hear, we look forward to the improvements and see that someone is really listening!

Suck *** Harold 8p

TMCNo1
01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Suck *** Harold 8p

http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdkissass.gifYou got that right and it looks like they aren't changing it over to a bubble gummer site. Maybe it paid off!

Doug G
01-24-2008, 07:58 PM
http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdkissass.gifYou got that right and it looks like they aren't changing it over to a bubble gummer site. Maybe it paid off!

Just because the bubble gum gets stuck in your wooden dentures you gotta go hatin on da kids :)

KnoxX2
01-24-2008, 08:24 PM
I think they should turn this site into Mastercraftspace site8p :D

JohnE
01-24-2008, 08:42 PM
I can't read all 11 pages right now. What's broken here? Or are we just fixing it for the heck of it? :confused:

I don't exactly what a myspace type site is, but it doesn't sound like something I'd want to participate in.:confused: :confused: :confused:

TMCNo1
02-05-2008, 08:50 PM
TT Admin, why did we have over 5990 members a week ago and now we have only 5284 and why does the home page and the forum page show 5284 members while the members list only shows 5274 members?
Another interesting fact, 996 members of the 5284 members have never made a post on TT, interesting!

JohnE
02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
TT Admin, why did we have over 5990 members a week ago and now we have only 5284 and why does the home page and the forum page show 5284 members while the members list only shows 5274 members?

I say get rid of the deadbeats who don't post. Let get TT down to a couple of hundred members.:D

TMCNo1
02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I say get rid of the deadbeats who don't post. Let get TT down to a couple of hundred members.:D

See my edit addition!
Another interesting fact, 996 members of the 5284 members have never made a post on TT, interesting!

Monte
02-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, I'm two people, or one with two screen names???

trickskier
02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I say delete them...............They're just using up disc space............8p

trickskier
02-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Split personalities???

TMCNo1
02-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Split personalities???

I wonder if Leah knows?

Monte
02-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Split personalities???

I guess.. :rolleyes: :D

JohnE
02-05-2008, 09:13 PM

You are "one", who wasn't "smart" enough to use 1234 as your password.;) Let's all try to hack into the Monte72 account! $100 to whoever does and gives me the password without telling him.:D

Monte
02-05-2008, 09:16 PM
You are "one", who wasn't "smart" enough to use 1234 as your password.;) Let's all try to hack into the Monte72 account! $100 to whoever does and gives me the password without telling him.:D

Good luck! And if you figure it out will you let me know?:confused:

Hey? am I eligible for the $100:rolleyes:

JohnE
02-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Good luck! And if you figure it out will you let me know?:confused:

Hey? am I eligible for the $100:rolleyes:

Yes,

Yes.

Monte
02-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Yes,

Yes.

Good..... it is a series of letters and numbers that I clicked and pasted from a TT admin email..

TMCNo1
02-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Although the total number of members has increased some, the difference is still 10. I wonder why?

TI Skiier
02-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Sounds like a good enhancement. But please, don't goof up a good thing. I started reading the team talk over 10 years ago when I bought my first MC - a 92 PS 190. It's always been a wealth of information, and a reminder of warm times - even when it's 38F & raining in the middle of February!

ProTour X9
02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Although the total number of members has increased some, the difference is still 10. I wonder why?

Whats 10 people between friends....

TMCNo1
02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Whats 10 people between friends....

I'd like to know who the 10 people are that I haven't had a chance to offend!:confused: :rolleyes: :D

TMCNo1
02-20-2008, 08:44 AM
The site sure has slowed down since yesterday evening! Someone needs to throw a log on the fire!