PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a new wakeboard

dwe
08-07-2004, 07:09 PM
I have decided to upgrade my wakeboard, after many years of fun with my old HO (about 10yrs old--the first of the thin composite type--looks more like a skurfer). There are so many different styles and brands, I don't know where to start, and we don't have a local shop in town to demo stuff. I've ridden a hyperlite once, and I also like the liquid force boards. Any suggestions as to how I could go about picking out the right board? Also, which type (and fit) of bindings are the least prone to ACL injuries. It seems thats the most common thing with wakeboards, and people with loose bindings.

thanks,
David

NeilM
08-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Man, tough question. There are so many to choose from, without being able to demo a few boards and bindings, I don't know how you would end up with something you like.

IMO, the best bindings are the ones you can lace up. I got a set of Hyperlite Split bindings, and I love 'em.

Leroy
08-17-2004, 12:34 AM
My personal opinion is there there are a lot of very good boards and unless you are Parks, almost any intermediate board will take you a long way and the biggest variable is the bindings. Agree with Neil, the lack up are the way to go. I want those binding on both my wakeboard and ski now!

I would say it's more about what you local board shop carries and what he has on sale now, typically time for 1/2 off sales now. I got my '99 Hyperlite Project 142 like that in 2001.

Leroy
08-17-2004, 12:38 AM
David;
I guess also I would think the most common injury would be ribs and broken feet, and smashing headaches from face plants! But that's just what I've heard around me. Is ACL the most common injury?

H20skeefreek
08-17-2004, 07:11 AM
I have decided to upgrade my wakeboard, after many years of fun with my old HO (about 10yrs old--the first of the thin composite type--looks more like a skurfer). There are so many different styles and brands, I don't know where to start, and we don't have a local shop in town to demo stuff. I've ridden a hyperlite once, and I also like the liquid force boards. Any suggestions as to how I could go about picking out the right board? Also, which type (and fit) of bindings are the least prone to ACL injuries. It seems thats the most common thing with wakeboards, and people with loose bindings.

thanks,
David

most of the major brands are on par with one another CWB, Obrien, Liquid, Hyperlite/HO, they're all the same. heck, a couple are rumored to actually be the same company. (last year when Obrien declared bankruptcy, Liquid did too hmmmmm). I really like the CWB boards. If you are into snow boards, you probably are aware of NICE bindings. they make wake bindings to, and they are really sweet. They've got some easy to operate clamp down bindings.

BriEOD
08-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Leroy, go on Ebay. I got a Hyperlite 137 with Hyperlite Liquid Force Lace Up Bindings for like $250 a year or two ago. I saw the same board and binding at Trophy Lakes and they want $500!!

Leroy
08-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Brian; I have always had trouble finding wakeboards and surfboards on ebay, what words do you search on and exclude, as I always seem to pull up a lot of junk. Water ski seem to search well. I already have a Hyperlite 142 Project, 1999 model I think. I bought it at half off $199 or $249 in 2001. My middle son is asking for higher performance ski so he can do the one arm turns, so I may be ebaying him a ski.

BriEOD
08-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Go to like the Hyperlite (whoever) site find what you want then type the model into ebay. You're right if you do a general seach it queries copius amounts of stuff.