PDA

View Full Version : Meanest Mom

Leroy
01-10-2008, 02:26 PM
This article is on several news pages now. For the members with teenage kids....I say way to go Jane!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080110/ap_on_fe_st/odd_car_ad

DES MOINES, Iowa - Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet." After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone by placing an ad in the local newspaper.
The ad reads: "OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

ttu
01-10-2008, 02:27 PM
i found it amazing how she had received phone calls from all over the country.

thank goodness my dad never looked in my car when i was in high school:))))

Cary K.
01-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I saw this on the news this morning. And I think this lady was going to be on one of the morning shows (GMA, Today, etc...) this morning. Pretty damn funny if you ask me, just glad it never happened to me !

lanier92prostar
01-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I had a neighbor so something similar to his 17 year old son. I think it sends a good message. More parents need to step up.

shepherd
01-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Funny 8p , but did the woman really need to publicly humiliate her son like that? Just keep it in the family and sell the car.

ShamrockIV
01-10-2008, 03:03 PM
come on shep!! u know that is priceless!!
i say you go girl!!!!

Leroy
01-10-2008, 03:05 PM
With 19 and 17 year old sons I have had to deal with this situation and find it an interesting solution......

milkmania
01-10-2008, 03:11 PM
they just ran the story on CNN also

ShamrockIV
01-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Don't worry guys with 4 yes i said four daughters!!!!! i am sure i will either be really creative or i will be posting on here from cell block D tennessee state prison.

milkmania
01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Don't worry guys with 4 yes i said four daughters!!!!! i am sure i will either be really creative or i will be posting on here from cell block D tennessee state prison.

man, I feel for you.......

they're already checking out my one 12 year old daughter!:mad::mad::mad:

Leroy
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Here's a couple of rules to think about.
1. There is nothing good that happens past midnight. (from the parent viewpoint)
2. No sleep overs.

ShamrockIV
01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Here's a couple of rules to think about.
1. There is nothing good that happens past midnight. (from the parent viewpoint)
2. No sleep overs.

surely you did not think that boys would be sleeping over?
being one myself not just no but hell no!!!

we actually have a cool curfew in tn. getting caught out after curfew u get points on ur liscense!!!

ski_king
01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Luckly, my daughters have never gone that far, but I have been know to ground one of them from driving for going somewhere she wasn' allowed.

She thought I was joking because I never took her keys.

Until she tried to sneak out and her car wouldnt start. (This may not work with boys who know there way around under the hood)

ski_king
01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
double post.....

Leroy
01-10-2008, 03:30 PM
No, it's is actually the other way. After waking up with several girls in our basement I've had to stop the sleep overs. The girls were "staying at a friends house" and would end up here.

PS, if everyone is at your house you have the best chance to see what is going on and do go look.

ShamrockIV
01-10-2008, 03:44 PM
true .

i am waiting on the new gps chip that you can inject or make ur kids swallow etc!!

Monte
01-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Well as Barney Fife would say.. "nip it in the bud"

Looks like she got a jump start on a sure fire way for the kid to get into some trouble.

TMCNo1
01-10-2008, 03:56 PM
:twocents: Finally, some parent is getting serious about parenthood!

3event
01-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Another future meanest parent here . . .

No problem with this Mom's response, except that she seems to be looking for publicity on the back of her kid now. Just deal with it and be done. No mess no fuss. Does she realize that only a few years from now when her son graduates from college, a prospective employer may google his name and find this! As a result of her "spotlight" activities.

I will seriously consider GPS chipping the cars when drive time comes around for our kids. Safety.

uawaterskier
01-10-2008, 10:08 PM

we actually have a cool curfew in tn. getting caught out after curfew u get points on ur liscense!!!
what? When I was in HS and was to wastey faced to home I always slept at a friends house. Even if it meant sleeping in the back seat of the car. Anything was better than getting busted. However I think my parents let me slide in HS when I came home and they knew I'd been drinking. I think it was because I wasn't driving that they let me slide.

Lennyp04
01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
You know this is amazing. Im 16 and at my school when we drive we cant have anyhting that can't be on school grounds, ie: tobacco, alcohol, any other drug, weapon. We have hall monitors that patrol the parking lot looking for this stuff. They are so strict that even if its your parents you still get in trouble. I mean could you imagine, you dont have your own car so you take your dads and there are a pack of cigarettes laying in the cupholder...that would suck.

I was also told a true story by an adminsitrator. A kid pulled his car into one of the spots at our high school. He proceded to go into the school building leaving his car running. Must have been flying high or drunk. But the hall monitor found it and the student was called down. Unfortuante for him there were cigarettes laying in the cup holder. When this is spotted from the outside of a vehicle, the school cop is aloud to search the rest of the car. He proceeded to find liquir under the seats...and just about an entire beer/ spirits store in his trunk.

Needless to say. I give that mom credit. She could be stopping her son from killing someone if he was drunk. I think my punishment for underage drinking is Military School. So I'm good on the booze til 21!

Monte
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
THAT is a good way to go young man....

Leroy
01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Pretty strick Lenny, doesn't seem to be the norm, is this a public school?

You know this is amazing. Im 16 and at my school when we drive we cant have anyhting that can't be on school grounds, ie: tobacco, alcohol, any other drug, weapon. We have hall monitors that patrol the parking lot looking for this stuff. They are so strict that even if its your parents you still get in trouble. I mean could you imagine, you dont have your own car so you take your dads and there are a pack of cigarettes laying in the cupholder...that would suck.

I was also told a true story by an adminsitrator. A kid pulled his car into one of the spots at our high school. He proceded to go into the school building leaving his car running. Must have been flying high or drunk. But the hall monitor found it and the student was called down. Unfortuante for him there were cigarettes laying in the cup holder. When this is spotted from the outside of a vehicle, the school cop is aloud to search the rest of the car. He proceeded to find liquir under the seats...and just about an entire beer/ spirits store in his trunk.

Needless to say. I give that mom credit. She could be stopping her son from killing someone if he was drunk. I think my punishment for underage drinking is Military School. So I'm good on the booze til 21!

shepherd
01-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Funny, when I was in high school we had designated smoking areas (outside) where students could go have a smoke between classes.

Times have changed... :rolleyes:

Lenny, how would you feel if your parents placed a big ad in the newspaper about your punishment?
Taking the car away - OK, I understand. But humiliating your kid in public??? :noface:

Doug G
01-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Good Job by her! if it is a strong family they will laugh about it years from now.

Lennyp04
01-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Pretty strick Lenny, doesn't seem to be the norm, is this a public school?

Yes. Believe it or not it is a public school. However, I'm glad these rules are in effect at our High school other wise we would have chaos. I can completely understand why the school district does all of this. I mean we even have dog searches at random times so the dogs look for drugs in lockers, and there are always 2 or 3 kids that get caught (don't ask me why they would bring it to school).

But really, if you don't do that stuff then you really have nothing to worry about.

Lennyp04
01-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Funny, when I was in high school we had designated smoking areas (outside) where students could go have a smoke between classes.

Times have changed... :rolleyes:

Lenny, how would you feel if your parents placed a big ad in the newspaper about your punishment? Taking the car away - OK, I understand. But humiliating your kid in public??? :noface:

To be completely honest, It would suck. However, if I did have alcohol in my car, first off thats dumb, second I would deserve whatever was coming.

I hate being just embarrassed by my friends or their parents and that hurts alot. So having everyone in your city come and read about it probably wouldnt make me feel to good. But thats why we have the D.A.R.E. program in our school...to help try convince us of why its bad.

ProTour X9
01-11-2008, 09:18 AM
So I'm good on the booze til 21!

You do whatcha want but I won't put a theif in my mouth to steal my brains, I try to learn from other people's mistakes.:twocents: