01-10-2008, 12:21 PM
last one ...

ShamrockIV
01-10-2008, 12:22 PM
What was the cause footer?

atlfootr
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Not really sure, started to read the articles in Orlando's paper ... says
Ten accidents involving 70 cars this morning (yesterday am) crashed causing a deadly pileup that closedown Interstate I-4 in both directions in Polk County.

Four people killed, 37 injuried ....

bcampbe7
01-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I would guess fog...

Something similar happened many years ago on I-75 just South of Knoxville, TN

ttu
01-10-2008, 12:35 PM
What was the cause footer?

from what i saw on the news this am, fire's were burning and the wind blew the smoke across the road.

learjet2230
01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
heard the same thing. Smoke from a grass fire.

atlfootr
01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Started w/ a controlled burning in the area, the early morning up fog caused the smoke to thicken over the roadway.

Resulting in ZERO VISIBILITY (sp) for drivers :(

From the first early morning News aerial Video's they showed, it looked as if you where inside of a plane over clouds.

It was so thick, that you couldn't even see the reporter.
You could only hear him and he was three feet away, standing in front of the camera.

TMCNo1
01-10-2008, 12:40 PM
LAKELAND, Fla.(AP) About 50 cars crashed on a highway blanketed by fog and smoke from a brush fire Wednesday, and authorities said at least three people were killed.
A stretch of nearly 15 miles of Interstate 4 between Tampa and Orlando was closed by several accidents, including the 50-car pileup. Aerial footage showed the soupy mix of fog and smoke covering the landscape for miles and giving the sky an eerie golden color.
The poor visibility forced rescuers to walk along the closed interstate checking individual vehicles for injured motorists, Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Larry Coggins said. The conditions cleared in late morning, showing mangled, charred trucks and cars pinned underneath some tractor trailers.
Workers were still trying to rescue one man pinned beneath an overturned truck.
Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd did not say how many people were injured.
Numerous tractor trailers overturned on the roadway, including a tanker. At least six of them burned completely.
"Everything came to a halt," Robert Ellison, who was driving east on the highway about 6 a.m., told The Tampa Tribune and WFLA-TV. "You can't see your hand in front of your face."
One of the first accident victims was a sheriff's deputy, Judd said. The deputy told Judd that conditions on the road worsened suddenly. "'It was clear, it was a little foggy, then it was total darkness,'" Judd recounted the deputy saying.

milkmania
01-10-2008, 12:45 PM
LAKELAND, Fla.(AP) About 50 cars crashed on a highway blanketed by fog and smoke from a brush fire Wednesday, and authorities said at least three people were killed.
A stretch of nearly 15 miles of Interstate 4 between Tampa and Orlando was closed by several accidents, including the 50-car pileup. Aerial footage showed the soupy mix of fog and smoke covering the landscape for miles and giving the sky an eerie golden color.
The poor visibility forced rescuers to walk along the closed interstate checking individual vehicles for injured motorists, Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Larry Coggins said. The conditions cleared in late morning, showing mangled, charred trucks and cars pinned underneath some tractor trailers.
Workers were still trying to rescue one man pinned beneath an overturned truck.
Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd did not say how many people were injured.
Numerous tractor trailers overturned on the roadway, including a tanker. At least six of them burned completely.
"Everything came to a halt," Robert Ellison, who was driving east on the highway about 6 a.m., told The Tampa Tribune and WFLA-TV. "You can't see your hand in front of your face."
One of the first accident victims was a sheriff's deputy, Judd said. The deputy told Judd that conditions on the road worsened suddenly. "'It was clear, it was a little foggy, then it was total darkness,'" Judd recounted the deputy saying.

I heard one account were rescuers were working by sounds of the screaming victims to locate them too:(

VirtualWi
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
We just had one less than a week ago - over 100 cars were involved in two separate crashes that happened as a result of each other. Two people died, a few others in pretty bad shape. The I was closed for 8 hours. All this less than 3 miles from our home...two fellow wrestlers (kids) were hospitalized that wrestled on my son's team, and other friends of ours were stuck for hours in it. FOG FOG FOG!

Lennyp04
01-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I heard one account were rescuers were working by sounds of the screaming victims to locate them too:(

Wow, Thats never a good sign.

trickskier
01-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Check out this link:

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/

atlfootr
01-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I've jus' lived thur it, don't want to rehash it anymore.
Jus' sorry for the folks that didn't make it and those who were injury'd that did.