PDA

View Full Version : 1980 19 Skier Restoration

gainerguy
01-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey guys

Im new to the forum and Im in need of some help. I have a badly oxidized 1980 Mastercraft. Im looking for some ways to make the shine some back. I tried the 3 step process of buffing it this past summer and it helped alot but it also too 12+ hours of work and Im no where close to being done. If there any other methods you guys have used that will bring back the shine and color? I got a quote yesterday to have it covered in epoxy for 4,000 and to redo the gel coat for 6,000. Im also looking for some trailer fenders. any help would be awesome!

sdesmond
01-09-2008, 05:14 PM
wetsanding the hull? Why not read up on it and try it? What do you have to lose? The trailer should be the easy part. read shepards restore. He did his boat and trailer with great results. Personally, I know you have alot of time invested already. I would rather have the satisfaction of knowing I did it all myself if I could.

mjw101081
01-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I am still in the process of my refurb... I have slowed but it has turned out well for more elbow grease than money. I vote do it yourself unless you just don't have the time. Can't wait to see all of your pics.

here's mine
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20284

74stars
01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I also say wet sand is the way to go if there is little or no other damage to the hull. I have not updated it in a long time but here is a link to my resto project:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15485&highlight=quick+update

As far as the fenders go, I used standard steel replacement fenders from a local trailer shop and welded them on. I feel bad now because I really need to update my pics.. Good luck with it and keep us updated!!!;)

gainerguy
01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Nice looking boats guys! I think I will try wetsanding. Is there a certain grit to start with or any techniques that you can offer? Do I use a hand or power sander? I will post more pics soon, Thanks!

Jim@BAWS
01-09-2008, 07:18 PM
I HAVE FENDERS 1 set in TAMPA
(813) 996 2297
jim.baws@verizon.net

I HAVE FENDERS !!!

BrianM
01-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Nice looking boats guys! I think I will try wetsanding. Is there a certain grit to start with or any techniques that you can offer? Do I use a hand or power sander? I will post more pics soon, Thanks!
If you have to wetsand start with a 600 grit and keep the paper nice and wet. Be careful to only take off what is needed to remove the oxidation. Then go to 1000 grit and again wet sand until the scratches are goce. From ther you can move to compound.

What three step process did you uses. I had very good results with a very oxidized boat just using 3M Super Duty Compound with a high quality wool pad and circular buffer. Went over the boat twice with that then moved on to a polish. Always try the least abrasive thing first and then move on if that doesn't work.

take a look here for what I achieved with compound. I did do just a little wet sanding in some very bad spots http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19557&highlight=1985+restoration

gainerguy
01-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I also used the 3M Super Duty Compound and then I went to 3M's Marine Finesse-It II, and then went to Scotchgards Marine Liquid Wax. I put them all on with a terry cloth and took off with wool. The spots that I did on the top of the boat look pretty good, its hard because the top of the boat has a textured surface. The sides I havent done much with yet, I will try some wetsanding and then buffing hopefully some of the color comes back.

gainerguy
01-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I also used the 3M Super Duty Compound and then I went to 3M's Marine Finesse-It II, and then went to Scotchgards Marine Liquid Wax. I put them all on with a terry cloth and took off with wool. The spots that I did on the top of the boat look pretty good, its hard because the top of the boat has a textured surface. The sides I havent done much with yet, I will try some wetsanding and then buffing hopefully some of the color comes back.

shepherd
01-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Did you use a high speed (not orbital) power buffer with the rubbing compound? That's really the only way to go for buffing, and it made the job easy for my boat. If buffing doesn't work then it looks like sanding is the next step like the other guys recommend.

Personally, I wouldn't pay the money for new epoxy and gel coat. I'd be looking to buy another boat with that kind of money or just forget it and ski behind a worn-out looking boat. :twocents:

How's the rest of the boat - engine, interior?

shepherd
01-10-2008, 01:29 PM
You should be able to get that trailer sandblasted and powdercoated for around $500 or so.

btw, welcome to the board!

Willski
01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
You should be able to get that trailer sandblasted and powdercoated for around $500 or so.

btw, welcome to the board!

Really?? That sounds reasonable. I should look around here for someone that would do that.

BrianM
01-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Like Shep said. You need to work that 3M Super Duty compound with a high speed circular buffer and a wool pad. Doing it by hand literally won't cut it. Work that compound with a high quality wool pad on a high speed buffer and then wipe of the residue with a terry towel.

shepherd
01-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Really?? That sounds reasonable. I should look around here for someone that would do that.

$490 for the sandblasting and powdercoating only. I did the disassembly and re-assembly myself. I spent another $500 or so to get my fiberglass fenders patched and painted to match.

gainerguy
01-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Did you use a high speed (not orbital) power buffer with the rubbing compound? That's really the only way to go for buffing, and it made the job easy for my boat. If buffing doesn't work then it looks like sanding is the next step like the other guys recommend.

Personally, I wouldn't pay the money for new epoxy and gel coat. I'd be looking to buy another boat with that kind of money or just forget it and ski behind a worn-out looking boat. :twocents:

How's the rest of the boat - engine, interior?

The rest of the boat is pretty good. The 351 has been rebuilt and runs and sounds awesome. The interior wasnt bad but Im going to replace it all anyways, I added a rear seat to it when I recarpeted the boat this past summer.

Jim@BAWS
01-10-2008, 04:31 PM
FENDERS ANYONE FENDERS???

Jim@BAWS

BrianM
01-10-2008, 04:31 PM
$490 for the sandblasting and powdercoating only. I did the disassembly and re-assembly myself. I spent another $500 or so to get my fiberglass fenders patched and painted to match.

Where are you located? Best I can find around here is a blast and paint for $500. Nobody around here has a booth big enough to powdercoat a trailer.

Sodar
01-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Where are you located? Best I can find around here is a blast and paint for $500. Nobody around here has a booth big enough to powdercoat a trailer.

That ain't bad!! I paid $200 to blast and $800 to paint. If I went with powercoating, it would have been $1100 for paint and blasting, plus I would not have been able to fill and smooth the welds, etc..

BrianM
01-10-2008, 04:47 PM
That ain't bad!! I paid $200 to blast and $800 to paint. If I went with powercoating, it would have been $1100 for paint and blasting, plus I would not have been able to fill and smooth the welds, etc..

I think the $500 for the paint isn't a bad deal but Shep said he paid $500 to blast and powder coat which is a MUCH better finish. I just got a quote from the closest place to me that can powdercoat a trailer (about an hour away) They wanted $1700 to blast and powdercoat it :eek3:

h2oskifreak
01-10-2008, 04:59 PM
I did the strip and paint myself and it was a lot of work. Get good power tools if you take it on. Also, remember the paint is old and could have lead in it. A good respirator is a must. I wish I would have powdered my trailer. Paint is o.k., but powder is better. The fenders pictured in my avitar are from a local trailer shop (bare about $65.00 ea.) Custom flag powder coat on them about $250 if I remember right. I had planned to go grey as the tow rig has a grey stripe. When I was at the shop I noticed the red and blue metal flake scrapes on the floor and they told me the grey was the base for the red and blue metal flake. The stars are decals from a sign shop. I get lots of comments on them from the general public on the way to the lake.

Sodar
01-10-2008, 04:59 PM
I think the $500 for the paint isn't a bad deal but Shep said he paid $500 to blast and powder coat which is a MUCH better finish. I just got a quote from the closest place to me that can powdercoat a trailer (about an hour away) They wanted $1700 to blast and powdercoat it :eek3:

Geez!! Since you are a trucker now (:D) Look for the guys that paint or coat semi trailers, frames, etc. They have huge booths and ovens and once I got the guy to call me back, he said he could do mine for about $700. I never looked into it, since he called me back about 2 weeks after I had the trailer painted!

shepherd
01-10-2008, 05:56 PM

Panama City.

I had to go to 2 different shops. Cossin's Rent All did the sandblasting for $240. Panama City Powder Coat (they don't sandblast) did the coating for $250. I just towed the bare stripped trailer to them, they put it in their oven, removed the wheels, and coated/baked it.

Before I went to them, I called a place in Pensacola and they quoted me around $1,100 to do it all, including some disassembly/assembly work.

BrianM
01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Panama City.

I had to go to 2 different shops. Cossin's Rent All did the sandblasting for $240. Panama City Powder Coat (they don't sandblast) did the coating for $250. I just towed the bare stripped trailer to them, they put it in their oven, removed the wheels, and coated/baked it.

Before I went to them, I called a place in Pensacola and they quoted me around $1,100 to do it all, including some disassembly/assembly work.
That may be worth the drive. I am only about 5 hours from there.

shepherd
01-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Come on over. Drop the trailer off and ski a few sets with us. If you want to have a few cold beverages or just rest up, you can spend the night and head home the next day.

BrianM
01-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Come on over. Drop the trailer off and ski a few sets with us. If you want to have a few cold beverages or just rest up, you can spend the night and head home the next day.

You still skiing this winter? I wouldn't mind getting a few sets in behind that 35th of yours :cool:

shepherd
01-11-2008, 12:27 PM
You still skiing this winter? I wouldn't mind getting a few sets in behind that 35th of yours :cool:

The weather is iffy (probably the same as yours), but if the temps are in the upper 60s or more and the wind isn't blowing too hard from the east side of the lake, we go. We went Tuesday afternoon and had some real nice glass. Wet suits are required - water temp is in the 50s. PM me if you want to come out.

BrianM
01-11-2008, 12:32 PM
The weather is iffy (probably the same as yours), but if the temps are in the upper 60s or more and the wind isn't blowing too hard from the east side of the lake, we go. We went Tuesday afternoon and had some real nice glass. Wet suits are required - water temp is in the 50s. PM me if you want to come out.

Will do. Sounds exactly like what I do around here. For me in the winter it is drysuit required. I don't like to get wet when its cold :rolleyes: