PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Upgrade and/or Steering Cable

Scott
01-09-2008, 03:33 AM
I am looking into the rudder upgrade. I have an 03 tt with stiff steering. I realize the steering cable is coming but after reading all the positive feedback on the rudder upgrade, i would really like to get it when I get the new steering cable. The problem is the rudder upgrade is going to cost more than 400 beans and I am uncertain if it will be that much of an improvement. Can I justify the cost when there is nothing wrong with my current rudder. Needing advice.:confused: :confused:

ShamrockIV
01-09-2008, 08:10 AM
I have the same question but i ahve a 97 prostar 205!!

sorry to jack ur thread scott!! but any info for scott i can use too!!

Monte
01-09-2008, 08:17 AM
I just had my steering cable replaced. It made a world of difference. Of course my ride is 21 yrs old now. The cable had simply gotten rusty inside I suspect from laying in the bilge for all those years with no real way to grease it. I don't see how that could happen with an 03. The 97 very possible.. Skidim was about 129.00 for my set up.

bigmac
01-09-2008, 08:29 AM
I don't know what the effect of the new, larger rudder would be on a DD. It made a big difference in ease of handling on my 230 V-drive, but it might make a DD a little squirrely.

You probably answered your own question when you say there's nothing wrong with your current rudder. Especially if you're satisfied with your boat's handling the way it is, I doubt you'll get $400 worth of improvement

#47of100TeamMC
01-09-2008, 09:06 AM
get the cable, forget about the rudder.

I had issues with my 02TT's cable a few years back. Had it replaced under warranty. Now, the steering is easier than the power steering on any car I have driven. It's pretty incredible. Almost too easy.

Now when you get this new cable. Keep the bilge free of water. whether it's pulling the plug or running the bilge until she's dry. That's the #1 reason steering cables go bad.

east tx skier
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I have the same question but i ahve a 97 prostar 205!!

Assuming there's no damage, I don't think there's anything wrong with the rudder on your boat. It appears similar to the 06 rudder, though I doubt it's identical. The rudder the 06 rudder was meant to uppgrade was the wedge-style rudder used on the pre-06 190/197s. Even if there is a better rudder for the 2nd Gen. 205, I don't think it follows that the 06 rudder would be the best fit. What would work and what wouldn't is not something on which I have expertise though. But I feel fairly confident that the boat MC had in mind when they chose that 06 rudder was not the 205. Then again, it's the same hull as the X1 even though the weight distribution and overall purpose (crossover boat) of your boat is different.

I suspect that most of your steering shortcomings are at idle speeds or just above. If so, my father-in-law's boat handles simillarly (one side turns worse than the other). Work with the cable, starting with some grease. If that doesn't work, maybe replacing it would help. If it's got slop, you might consider loading the rudder up by grinding (slightly) one of the trailing edges.

MYMC
01-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Grease will only make the issues worse...change the cable.

east tx skier
01-09-2008, 12:06 PM

But Grease is the word!

Sodar
01-09-2008, 12:10 PM

Are you saying to not grease the cable for its lifetime or just not grease it once it gets tough?

MYMC
01-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Are you saying to not grease the cable for its lifetime or just not grease it once it gets tough?
LIGHT grease during lifetime...none after it gets tough. As you cycle the cable (during normal steering) and there is some water in the bilge the grease will trap dirt and pull it into the cable where is then acts as an abrasive.

DanC
01-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Did you disconnect the steering cable from the rudder and verify the problem was the cable? If so, disregard the rest of this post.

The steering on my 2003 became VERY stiff last year, most notable when underway at idle or higher. The problem was the rudder shaft housing. There is a grease nipple but the tolerances are so tight and the spiral grease channel in the shaft housing is so small that it easily gets gunked up. I removed the rudder, cleaned the shaft and housing, regreased and am back to steering like new.

Scott
01-10-2008, 01:52 AM
I havent tried really anything to fix it.. Alot of people have just said the steering cable is the weak point of the equation. I havent greased it either. I was under the assumption that it was maint. free. :confused: