PDA

View Full Version : V drive pictures?

thijs
01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Does anyone have pics they could post of their V drive- drive train? I am just curious about how it all fits together. How easy is the access to the packing nut?

88 PS190
01-09-2008, 11:02 PM
V-drive is pretty compact, the engine sits with the transmission mounted on the front (bow). The drive shaft comes through the packing shaft and through the transmission where it is coupled to the transmission. A picture i borrowed from another member's post is here, this is a misaligned shaft coming through.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/jrhollow_jeff/Shaftalignment.jpg

now the packing nut is not simple to access, but then again they are relatively low maintainence, a dripless packing by xpc or pss would probably make it a non-item.

I am amazed by how hard the proper image is to get but i hope this is visable, its a print screen from the mastercraft site.

shows most of the crucial orientation.

88 PS190
01-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Notice how the packing is stuck down there, and additionally there is engine cover and interior that can get in the way. Its not like working on an outboard.

But its not extremely packed in.

jrhollow
01-10-2008, 12:02 AM
The picture 88 posted is my misaligned shaft (bent strut). I don't have any other pictures of the motor, but I'll tell you that it would be a MAJOR PITA to work on the packing shaft. It is directly under the motor, with the transmission basically on top of it.

I was lucky that it was a dripless and wasn't worn out from the misaligned shaft.

FrankSchwab
01-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Getting to the packing is only kinda tough. Drop the sideboards in the back storage compartment, and lay down back there, and touching the packing nut is easy. Now, getting a tool in there that you can use to adjust the packing nut; that's a bit more difficult.

There are a lot of cars where it's harder to change spark plugs.

/frank

jrhollow
01-10-2008, 12:46 AM
If you have the built in tanks you either have to be pretty small or take them out in order to lay in the back of a 205 (X-2)

Jayc
01-10-2008, 05:34 AM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8961/img1439zr3.jpg

This is my GM350, velvet drive/walters V drive when removed earier this year.

The packing nut on mine is easy enough to adjust if you have very bendy narrow arms and can see through metal. If however you're a human like the rest of us you have to struggle but it is possible!

Tom023
01-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Access is a little tight but not impossible. I was able to reach the packing gland but adjustments were difficult. I installed the XPC seal and now don't have to bother.

climbinggod
01-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Does anyone have pics they could post of their V drive- drive train? I am just curious about how it all fits together. How easy is the access to the packing nut?
Hi there thijsvogelzang,

I had a blast this summer at Ghost. Looking forward to summer already. I am working on the boat this winter in my garage. This forum is awesome!!