PDA

View Full Version : Broken Exhaust Flange

88 PS190
01-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Many of you are quite handy with your vehicles.

The exhaust system on my car is connected by using two flanges that bolt together with two bolts to compress flared pipe fittings onto a gasket.

But the one flange on my cat has cracked cleanly into two peices that are not connected right in half.

Now since the pipes are flared I cannot just slide a new flange on there, is there a correct way to repair this?

TMCNo1
01-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Most muffler shops have those pieces in stock and/or they can cut a good piece off a old scrap cat and replace your broken part.

88 PS190
01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Argh don't wanna line the muffler guy's pocket.

Wish there was an easy way to get a new flange on over that flared pipe. Might just need to cut it, slide a new flange in, and weld the pipe back together.

Slinkyredfoot
01-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Argh don't wanna line the muffler guy's pocket.

Wish there was an easy way to get a new flange on over that flared pipe. Might just need to cut it, slide a new flange in, and weld the pipe back together.

Sometimes I feel I just have to pay the Piper....;)

88 PS190
01-08-2008, 08:19 PM
eh I get dealer price on it anyway. Probably cost me all of 20 bucks, but i'll have to wire the muffler up and take the car off the jack stands to make it happen... could be worse eh.

ski_king
01-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Had the same happen to a old Tempo I once had. The local muffler shop charged me $25 to put a "Flange Kit" on it.
That was a lot better than the first place I went to that tried to sell me a new cat for $350+.