PDA

View Full Version : Marathons any one done them?

kycat2007
01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
A friend wants me to do the KY Derby Marathon in May and sent me a schedule. Last week was a 10 mile week which I was close. I can get 2miles down but after that kinda get a little bored.

Anyone here done one and any suggestions? I know there is no beer involved so many are out:D

thanks in advance

stuartmcnair
01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
to make the time pass faster...just drive

east tx skier
01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I ran the Houston Tennaco Marathon in January 1995. My time was 4:08:11. My goal was to run a marathon and finish. If your goal is to qualify for Boston or something along those lines, you may want to disregard my method. Here was how I trained.

The summer before (May through August 1994), I ran (Monday--Friday) 3 miles on Monday, 4 miles on Tuesday, 5 miles on Wednesday, 4 Miles on Thursday, and 3 miles on Friday. I took the weekend off. I also weight trained 4 days per week and ran the stadium steps at Rice Stadium a couple of times per week. While back at school, I ran 3 miles per day about four days per week and weight trained.

During Christmas break (3 weeks before the marathon).

Week 1. 8 miles per day Monday through Friday. 12 miles on Saturday.
Week 2. 8 miles per day Monday through Friday. 18 miles on Saturday.
Week 3. 8 miles per day Monday through Friday. 1 mile on Saturday.

Ran the marathon the following Sunday. I only stopped once to stretch out a cramp. Miles 20-25 are the worst. Mile 26 is the best. I was practically sprinting at that point.

Really, the summer beforehand probably had less to do with it other than having me in reasonably good shape to start running 8s in the 3 weeks leading up to it.

There is absolutely no reason to run 26 miles before running the marathon. I'd say, run regularly and build up your wind so that you can do 8 miles without a problem. At least twice before the marathon, do some extra long runs.

One last thing, other than sticking a tube of vaseline in your pocket (you'll know why when the time comes), I'd suggest wearing an old shirt and writing your name in large letters across the front. That way, people will cheer for you. At the time, I couldn't understand why all the people running around me had so many people routing for them along the way. :rolleyes:

Roonie's
01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
What he said ^^^^^. There is plenty of information on the web to start a training program. My wife just finished one and she is not a runner per say. It all has to do with training right. Good luck.

djhuff
01-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Runners world has some great programs for training for different events.

Chicago190
01-07-2008, 05:49 PM
The man who ran the first marathon died after he finished it, so it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

TMCNo1
01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
The man who ran the first marathon died after he finished it, so it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

How many years after the marathon did he die? Maybe he saw the 1st Malibu Corvette Boat and went into shock!:D

shepherd
01-07-2008, 07:28 PM

:uglyhamme Don't do it!

Chicago190
01-07-2008, 08:50 PM
How many years after the marathon did he die? Maybe he saw the 1st Malibu Corvette Boat and went into shock!:D

The name marathon comes from the legend of Pheidippides, a Greek soldier, who was sent from the town of Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians had been defeated in the Battle of Marathon. It is said that he ran the entire distance without stopping and burst into the senate with the words "Masters! Victory is ours!" before collapsing and dying due to exhaustion.

east tx skier
01-07-2008, 09:17 PM
The name marathon comes from the legend of Pheidippides, a Greek soldier, who was sent from the town of Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians had been defeated in the Battle of Marathon. It is said that he ran the entire distance without stopping and burst into the senate with the words "Masters! Victory is ours!" before collapsing and dying due to exhaustion.

You beat me to it. I was going to ask if you knew what he had said.

TX.X-30 fan
01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Wonder how those hips and joints work when the runners get old????

east tx skier
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
My mom is in her late 60s. She has run 2 and a half marathons (ran the second half of one with my sister). She still runs 5 miles every day and has no hip or joint trouble.

Keep the shoes new and stretch.

kurtr
01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
At the twin cities marathon there was a 76 year old male who has run all 26 of the twin cites marathons. His usual finish is just over 4 hours, last year was the hottest day (temp plus humidity) in the history of the event. My advice would be to look online for a training plan that will fit into your schedule, look at the normal temps for the event try to train at those temperatures. You will be very miseable if you train in cooler weather and the event day is warmer than what you trained in.

Jorski
01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I have run two full marathons - first one in 4:15 second one in 3:47 -and about a dozen half marathons as well as several other long distance races.

My best advice would be to look for a local running club (sounds intimidating...but it isn't). I found it much easier to train with a group. Being able to talk made the time pass much faster. trust me when you get into really high mileage (20 mile long runs etc) it is much easier to keep moving when a few friends running at the same pace are also trekking along.

I trained with a group through one these stores. They do not have US locations but they do have an online marathon clinic:

http://www.events.runningroom.com/hm2/?running=true

Good luck!

Jorski
01-08-2008, 11:21 AM

Strangley studies suggest that runners generally do better than the general population in that regard. Probably due to the net benefit of carrying less weight over the duration of their lives. Also, they have significantly better bone density as they age which would contribute to lower rates hip breakage and spinal problems related to osteoperosis.

RexDog1
01-08-2008, 11:22 AM

I have run about 8 to 10 marathons when I was 22 to 29 years old, and now I am 45 ……NOT OLD…..LOL:rolleyes: :D
And my hips are ok??? I do wonder how I will be when get to 60 if I make it?
Easty post are right on the mark!!!! everybody is deferent …if you are just looking to finish the marathon
Put in the miles……….. long and slow
if you are looking to compete? You will need to put in some track time 440, 880, and 1 mile work to get some speed ………..

sand2snow22
01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
My trailer runs marathons!!