PDA

View Full Version : Marine Stadium - CA

Ryan
03-22-2005, 02:26 AM
Just checking to see if any of you Marine Stadium MC'ers out there visit this site.

Ok, I really want to know who has the red 19Skier that was skiing on a guitar and a shovel. I am curious to know if you are the 40-40-400 guy, or if you are trying to beat him.

86PowerSlot190MC
03-22-2005, 07:29 PM
I've been down to the Marine Stadium a few times, but sorry my 19skier is blue.

6ballsisall
03-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Ryan

Do you have any pics of the Marine Stadium area you could post? I keep reading about this area but know nothing about it. Just curious

AirJunky
03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Definitely sounds like Klarich. He has family in the area & skis there a lot. I'll send him an email & see if he'd like to comment........ yet.

Mag_Red
03-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Ryan

Do you have any pics of the Marine Stadium area you could post? I keep reading about this area but know nothing about it. Just curiousHere's what found onMap Quest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=5255+e+paoli+way&city=long+beach&state=ca&zipcode=&search=++Search++). Here's some more info. (http://www.longbeach.gov/park/facilities/parks/marine_stadium.asp) :wavey:

rodltg2
03-22-2005, 08:35 PM
so is that always public water, looks like it can become a mess.

AirJunky
03-22-2005, 08:42 PM
so is that always public water, looks like it can become a mess.
I don't think it's "always" public but most of the time. They close it for special events from time to time. There is at least one ski club that practices there all the time.

6ballsisall
03-22-2005, 10:08 PM
That looks like a cool place! Do you leave your boat in the water all the time Ryan or do you take it out and flush it alot?

ski_king
03-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Does look like a cool place. Too bad it is salt water.
Check out this TerraServer Image (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=12&Z=11&X=495&Y=4670&W=3&qs=%7clos+angeles%7c%7c), best detail I have seen. Zoom in and check outthe detail. I could not find a slalom course though.

rodltg2
03-23-2005, 02:41 PM
i used to ski alot in a lagoon in sf bay area that was salt. i liked it except for the big hassle of cleaning the boat afterwards. there is a fishmarket restuarant near the course for dinner and drinks after skiing.

jsonova99
03-23-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm still debating using in salt water, my family has a cottage on the penobscot bay in Maine, great place for skiing, but I just don't know if I want to expose the boat or not. Besides, I don't know if I really want to tow the boat 1600 miles etiher!

jsonova99
03-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Sorry about getting off-topic, I just noticed the small salt water usage discussion :wavey:

ski_king
03-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Does look like a cool place. Too bad it is salt water.
Check out this TerraServer Image (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=12&Z=11&X=495&Y=4670&W=3&qs=%7clos+angeles%7c%7c), best detail I have seen. Zoom in and check outthe detail. I could not find a slalom course though.
Ryan, I bet the picture at the beginning of this thread is centered in the terraserver shot (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=11&X=7915&Y=74729&W=3&qs=%7clos+angeles%7c%7c).

86PowerSlot190MC
03-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Here's pic's i took on my lunch brake.

86PowerSlot190MC
03-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Here's the stadium from the opposite end.

André
03-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the pics 86 !
Looks like a nice place to ski or ride but how many boats can go at once ?

MasterMason
03-24-2005, 09:51 AM
i used to ski alot in a lagoon in sf bay area that was salt. i liked it except for the big hassle of cleaning the boat afterwards. there is a fishmarket restuarant near the course for dinner and drinks after skiing.

Rod,

I grew up on that lagoon. Skied every night after my dad got home till it got too dark. My little bro still owns my parents house. Did you have friends that lived on the lagoon?

Ryan
03-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Hey '86 that's a nice car you've got there! (Check my pics)

Rodltg2 - It is a public water way. Let me tell ya, I will never try a Memorial Day Saturday there ever again! It's like skiing on an 8 lane freeway. With only 3 other boats going, I took out a skier. A Cuddy Cabin doing laps comes in 70' off my skier's tail directly in our wake, and before we knew it there were 9 boats running at once, I got out as soon as I could. Weekday evenings are pretty sweet though. I was just out last night, it doesn't get any better than being the only boat out there.

AirJunky
03-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey Ryan,
Saw the old Air Chair on your swimstep in one of those pics. Next time you see that 40/40/400 guy out at Marine Stadium, stop by & say hello. His name is Tony & his uncle Mike is an ex-coowner of AC. They both can show you a few new things on those foils & they ride there pretty often.

Ryan
03-25-2005, 07:20 PM
jrandol- I wish I had a house on the water! I pull it out then clean and flush like a crazy man. Luckily I've got my friends and wife well trained on the process of getting the boat put away. I can't wait to move closer to some fresh water. I envy all of you guys who just put your boat in the garage when you're done. But, it's worth the trouble for how close it is to me.

I think most of the pics and links give a good idea of the place. But here are a couple from last year's X-Games. Ufortunately it was before I got my 28-300mm lens.

Ryan
03-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Here is the second .

Ryan
03-25-2005, 07:55 PM
When did Terra Server go color? That is aweseome! I haven't been on there for over a year.

Oh yeah, no one should put their boat in Marine Stadium; the salt will destroy everything; the sharks; the jelly fish and who knows what else... you'd better stick to fresh water...

Ok, if you don't have ballast tanks, for some reason the sharks stay away, and so do the jelly fish. You don't believe me? I have proof, I have never seen them when ever my ski boat is in there. I hear them sharks don't like wakeboards slappin' on the water. I may be making this up. But you don't want to chance it do you?

In all honesty, there was a sea lion in there last Saturday, that was interesting! The only real danger is from shells that get broken up by trailer tires, they are like wicked razor blades on the feet at low tide. And of course the "lappers" (Guys doing laps w/o skier)!

Ryan
05-16-2005, 04:30 PM
To the owner of the black on white MC VRS:

I was out on Saturday (5/14/05) and my boat wouldn't start after a few sets. An owner of a black on whte Maristar VRS (96ish) was out in LB marine stadium, and offered to let us use their boat for the rest of the day if we drove the owner for one set in his boat! Very humbling, and very generous. Turns out my kill switch is going bad and runs now.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to take them up on the offer, and the offer was made to my wife on shore so I never got to meet the guy.

Just in case you (the owner with the offer) ever get on this site, a big thanks goes out to ya! My boat below.