PDA

View Full Version : Vee Drive versus Direct Drive

Sawbo
01-06-2008, 12:20 PM
We have been skiing off a 90 Supra Bravura (direct drive) and are finally ready to make the upgrade to an MC. How much of a difference will there be between the Supra's wake and a 2005 MC 205v's wake on the salom course at 34mph? We have always skiied off of driect drive boats but the kids want to wake board and surf. Thanks in advance for any input!

duckguy
01-06-2008, 12:25 PM
You will find and I will agree that that hull may be the best wake for wakeboarding ever made. Now with that said the ski wake is also exquisit and you will be very happy.

thijs
01-06-2008, 12:27 PM
I am not too familiar with the Supra you are talking about, but I certainly would guess that a V drive with the weight in the back is going to produce a larger wake. Our family runs a 94 PS 205 direct drive, and unless your kids are large or they are pro wakeboarders, it is a sweet boat for skiing and yet kicks out a mamoth wake at slow speeds.

Maristar210
01-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Used X-9 or the new X-14 would fit the bill nicely.

88 PS190
01-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I recommend you ski it first.

The issue here is that a supra bravura while being a direct drive is not a tournament hull.

It is a larger heavier boat similar more to the tristars than the prostars, and is 21 foot as opposed to the tournament boats which are normally 19' or so.

So there is a difficulty in direct comparison. If your previous boat were a tournament boat more similar to a prostar then switching to a v-drive would definately be a decrease in slalom wake quality.

Your supra however has a fair amount of V-depth to the hull this depth will do more for wake than the posistion of the engine. Once the boat is up to speed for skiing 32+ mph the hull is planed out and the V is what is cutting the water. The V-drive hull is similar to the supra so they should have the same character.

Tournament boats which are aimed less at wakeboarding will have more flat area to the bottom of the hull surface, this means that at speed they glide over the surface disturbing less water and yielding smaller wakes.

So yours should be similar, but always ski them first to make sure it fills your need.

Aric'sX15
01-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I have a 2000 205V, and i absolutely love it.
My dad slaloms behind it, but i also wakeboard, wake skate, and surf off of it. its an awesome boat!

C36
01-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Sawbo:

Waterski Mag review of the 2005 MC 205V can be viewed by clicking here (http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=35340&typeID=121&categoryID=165).

I would also echo what 88 PS190 said - ski it before you buy (if at all possible). When we were looking at our boat I flew over 3,000 miles and skied a few weeks after the ice came off the lake to water test ours. This made our final decision very easy.

Good luck with your decision.

We have been skiing off a 90 Supra Bravura (direct drive) and are finally ready to make the upgrade to an MC. How much of a difference will there be between the Supra's wake and a 2005 MC 205v's wake on the salom course at 34mph? We have always skiied off of driect drive boats but the kids want to wake board and surf. Thanks in advance for any input!

ProTour X9
01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Used X-9 or the new X-14 would fit the bill nicely.

Agreed, or a 205 DD (or X-5) which I've wakeboarded behind and it has a large steep wake, but is definitely a slalom machine. If you're really serious about skiing I wouldn't get the X9, dont make the same mistake (my opinion) we made, it has a nice wakeboard wake though. X-14 is a good slalom boat with V Drive seating, and its an ok wakeboard boat.:twocents:

03 35th Anniversary
01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Used X-9 or the new X-14 would fit the bill nicely.Wow Staristar has a great idea for once!!!!!! 8p

Don't forget the X-7 ski it to and see what you think. I got a friend that has one of these and it works out pretty good.

icedog-10
01-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Does the 205V or X1 handle the chop in the same way as my 93 205. I am in the same situation looking to upgrade. We tried the X9 and my son and I loved the wake but we got vetoed because of the mid engine. I would be happy with the X1 but may want to get a smoother ride on a choppy day. What does everyone think about the X10?

Chicago190
01-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Does the 205V or X1 handle the chop in the same way as my 93 205. I am in the same situation looking to upgrade. We tried the X9 and my son and I loved the wake but we got vetoed because of the mid engine. I would be happy with the X1 but may want to get a smoother ride on a choppy day. What does everyone think about the X10?

Though I have no experience, I would guess that the current 205V hull handles chop better since I believe it has a deeper V and it also has a higher freeboard so its less likely to take water over the bow.

yippikaiyay
01-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey IceDog, If you've riden/skied behind your own boat, and an X9 recently, how would you compare the slalom wake of an X9, to your 205?

east tx skier
01-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Icedog, the second generation 205, the hull that is still used as the X1 (205V) will handle rough water much better than the first generation 205. But the slalom wakes aren't quite the same as your 93.

Agree with the ski it first crowd. The hull was originally a mid 90s AWSA approved design, but with additional weight in the rear from the engine, I would suppose that the wakes will not be quite what the direct drive 96 and up 205s were. I would also suppose that it's not going to handle quite like a direct drive.

But all that said, who's to say you need a direct drive if you're just using it for recreational slalom and some wakeboarding. There's only one way to find out if it's the right boat for you.

icedog-10
01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey IceDog, If you've riden/skied behind your own boat, and an X9 recently, how would you compare the slalom wake of an X9, to your 205?

The X9 had a bigger wake than my 205 at about 34mph. With that said it was still much better than my I/O that I want to get rid of and upgrade to the X1. My 93 probably has a better ski wake than your 97 so you probably would not see as much of a difference. It had some other nice features besides the larger size. There was better storage in the back and the ballase bags fit under the rear seat instead of having to take out the seat and putting in a couch like I have to do to wakeboard. I loved the boat and it would be better for a family than my 205 but a V drive is still more family friendly.

shepherd
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Sawbo says he wants to use the boat in the slalom course at 34 mph. Do you think there would be a problem with tracking through the course on a V-drive? If so, he may be replacing buoys more often.

ShamrockIV
01-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I think it boils doen to your preference. I had an 84 S&S so i am partial to direct drives. I think it is more of a boat layout thing to me than a driveline thing. I like the fact that with my direct drive, i do not have to climb over a 3 to 4 foot wide pad to get to the water much less mess it up with skis, wakeboards, etc!!

plus motor boxes can be fun if u use them right!!!

east tx skier
01-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Sawbo says he wants to use the boat in the slalom course at 34 mph. Do you think there would be a problem with tracking through the course on a V-drive? If so, he may be replacing buoys more often.

It's got tracking fins, so it'd probably track better than most. But bottom line, pick your sport. If you're 51% slalom and expect to see a course, go direct drive. If you are a wakeboarder first and skier second, go with the vdrive. If you can't decide, sell the wake board.

Rich_G
01-07-2008, 09:22 PM
I have a 99 205V and I slalom behind it. At 34 mph you will get a pretty small wake, but it is a harder bump than you will get from a true DD slalom boat. I have skied behind other V-drives, including CC's 211 which has a "hydro-plate" for creating a decent ski wake, and is rated as one of the best crossover v-drives. The 211 is tournament rated for certain level USTA slalom events (not pro obviously). From my limited comparison, the wake is not much different than my 205V.

I don't have access to a course, but I don't think there would be any tracking issues. It's not one of the big wakeboard boats.

I have teens and their friends that are boarders, so the v-drive won out.

Lennyp04
01-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Our X-1 has one of the best wakeboard wakes I've ever wakeboarded. If you don't know the history of the Current X-1, then the original X-star it is amazing. The X-1 hull (which is also the 205V hull) was the original X-star which pulled Parks Bonifay to the first ever 1080! My dad slaloms as well and he has no problem with the X-1 wake what-so-ever.

But if you want to be certain its what you want, go to your dealer and schedule a test drive/test ski so you know what your getting!

Sawbo
01-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Thank you to everyone who provided input. We purchased a 2005 Prostar 205V which is still new with zero time. Any suggestions on proper preparation beyond what is recommended in the manual?

mastercraftrider
01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
CONGRATS! You will love this boat!! I have a 98 205 DD and can't wait till I can upgrade to the 205V. I love the size, handling and of course the word MASTERCRAFT down the side!!

ShamrockIV
01-18-2008, 12:42 PM
nope sawbo!!!
fill her up with fuel and love her!!!

ShamrockIV
01-18-2008, 12:44 PM
by the way when did they stop making the 205?

Leroy
01-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I even drive my 230V through the course at 36MPH and never taken out a ball yet. It is a bit more white knuckle drive though! :)

CarlosCabanas
01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Thank you to everyone who provided input. We purchased a 2005 Prostar 205V which is still new with zero time. Any suggestions on proper preparation beyond what is recommended in the manual?

First thing you need to do to properly break it in is poat pics on this board!!:D

WTRSK1R
01-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Congrats ! Follow the recommended break in instructions in the manual and enjoy. The first 10 hours are painful cause you just want to go man go, but its recommended for a reason. :twocents:

Steve

C36
01-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Sawbo: Congratulations on the boat!

by the way when did they stop making the 205?

ShamrockIV: If you mean 205 DD - 2000 to my understand. More info can be found here:

1996-2000 ProStar 205/205V/Maristar205/X-star/X-2/X-1: A History (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15198)