PDA

View Full Version : now I know what engine I have . . but where get one?

Boogieman
01-05-2008, 05:00 PM
thanks to you guys, I now know what engine I have . .
Indmar TBI 350 IC951056 275hp

but now my next question . . where do I get one? . . I need a crate engine (block and heads) . . and a gasket set would be nice . . . I know I could get that stuff from our Mastercraft dealer . . or from Indmar . . but are there other (maybe cheaper) options?

I have to ship it anyway . . so don't worry about my location

André
01-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Skidim has them but it will be a PCM not Indmar engine.
I'm sure there is a lot of other places to buy them and others will come up with names.
Is your block really not repairable?

Boogieman
01-05-2008, 05:15 PM
well . . it maybe is . . but it looks like the intake valve of the first cylinder has destroyed pretty much everything in there . . so rebuilding it here in Switzerland would probably cost more than a new one . . and it has over 3000h on it . . so I'm just checking my options . .

Chas
01-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I had a friend who owned a sportsfishing boat with twin chevy smallblock engines. He would buy longblocks from an automotive parts house - Pep Boys, Napa or Kragen depending on who had the low price that day - and run them for one or at the most, two seasons. Then he would replace them. They were always ready to go, sometimes they didn't even make it through the season. This was a pleasure boat, direct drive, not a commercial fishing rig.

Another friend purchased the boat, put in MARINE engines purchased through a marine dealer, and got over eight years on one set of engines, before selling the boat in good running condition. And the second guy used it about the same as the first.

This is all salt water, and they were closed loop cooling.

I say all that to say this: marinized engines are different. The crankshafts used to be much beefier, though I have heard that is no longer the case with the Vortec engines. All the core plugs, whether pressed in or threaded, are brass or bronze. The head gaskets are stainless or some combination of stainless, brass and/or copper. Certain aluminum parts are replaced with cast iron or brass/bronze. Fasteners are generally stainless, though I have seem some recent motors with plenty of rusted bolt heads and other fasteners. I guess it depends upon what the rating of bolt needs to be: stainless can't match a grade 8 bolt for tensile strength, so not all the hardware can be stainless.

Food for thought. Any current boat mechanics who can give us details and/or set me straight?

Boogieman
01-05-2008, 05:38 PM
I heard about that . . that's why I'm asking . . there are plenty of 350 GM-car engines for sale . . even here in Switzerland

André
01-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I heard about that . . that's why I'm asking . . there are plenty of 350 GM-car engines for sale . . even here in Switzerland
Do a search here,it has been discuss before.
I think the final answer was: a GM 350 is a GM 350.Marinize or not.ICBW

learjet2230
01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Try Jasper engines. I called them and they quoted me $2300 US shipped to my door for a 351W. Of course this is rebuilt, and it was a long block!! They have a pretty high reputation for their engines. This was for a marine block too, not an auto.

André
01-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Try Jasper engines. I called them and they quoted me $2300 US shipped to my door for a 351W. Of course this is rebuilt, and it was a long block!! They have a pretty high reputation for their engines. This was for a marine block too, not an auto.
Haaaa,one of the name i was thinking of.
Summit racing also comes to my mind.Why? Will google it...

Boogieman
01-05-2008, 06:40 PM
hmm . . but if a 350 is a 350 . . . why this?

This engine is not designed, nor intended to be used in any marine applications..

Boogieman
01-05-2008, 07:32 PM
does anybody know those guys??

http://remanufactured.com/Inboard_Marine_Engines.htm

03 35th Anniversary
01-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

If you got that engine out you might as well get a few new ponies to go with it.........

east tx skier
01-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

If you got that engine out you might as well get a few new ponies to go with it.........

My thoughts exactly. Go Vortec. Great engine! As for the stuff at skidim, I'm fairly confident in saying that it'll be a tight squeeze on the GT40s they have (just in case you were thinking of going Ford).

rkmason
01-05-2008, 09:03 PM
If you go with a 350 Vortec replacement engine you would want to have your ECM reflashed with the '98 350 TBI calibration to match the replacement engine. I suspect your ECM is Delco PN 16210729 (MEFI 2), same as what's on my '98 350 Vortec TBI. The Vortec replacement engine with the correct ECM calibration gets you an additional 30 horsepower.

You also need a marine version replacement engine to get the correct camshaft profile which matches the Indmar ECM calibration. The GM Marine 350 camshaft will not be in an automotive-type replacment engine

Boogieman
01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
sounds interesting . . . and my MC dealer could do that? would the engine run fine if I just had the Vortec heads but still the unflashed ECM?

Engine Nut
01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
My thoughts exactly. Go Vortec. Great engine! As for the stuff at skidim, I'm fairly confident in saying that it'll be a tight squeeze on the GT40s they have (just in case you were thinking of going Ford).

If the original engine is a pre-vortec model and you use a vortec block as a replacement there are some other components that need to be considered. The intake manifold on the current engine will not fit on vortec heads so it will have to be changed. Also, the ECM calibration is not compatible. If the original ECM is a MEFI 2, the calibration can be updated. If the original ECM is a MEFI 1, it will have to be replaced as there is not a Vortec calibration for a MEFI 1 ECM. The number on the back of a MEFI 2 ECM will be 16201729. If the number on the back of the ECM does not match this,the ECM will need to be replaced. A replacement MEFI 2 retails for close to $1500.00.

Thare is a distributor in Germany that has access to Indmar new and remanufactured long blocks that might be able to help. Their website address is www.marineshoponline.de .

Boogieman
01-05-2008, 09:51 PM
in that case I'm going for non-vortec . . don't care about those 30 ponies (even though it would have been nice .. ) . .

the problem with marineshoponline is, that they cost a lot more as if I buy an engine in the states and get it delivered to my door . .

a new 96 and up 5.7l Vortec engine costs 4996 EUR . . that's about 7400$ . . . without shipping . . :rant:

JimN
01-05-2008, 11:46 PM
If the boat is a '97, I wonder why the motor serial number is from a '95.

Jayc
01-06-2008, 04:38 AM
Seeing as its the GM engine you might have more luck sourcing a mercruiser replacement. I know here in the UK its far easier to get Mercruiser parts than indmar (which is why wen I was looking for a vdrive wakeboat I chose one with mercruiser power).

In the UK you can source remanufacturered GM350 engines for around £2000. As long as you swap over all your ignition/fuelling then a merc block would be just the same as an indmar one.

Boogieman
01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
If the boat is a '97, I wonder why the motor serial number is from a '95.
hmm . . are the 2 numbers after the "IC" the year of the engine? . . that would be weird . . on the white sticker on the oilpan it has this number . . and also written 1997 TBI . . so '97 should be it . .

JimN
01-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I= Indmar
C= Chevrolet (If it was IF95XXXX, it would be a Ford motor)
9= Decade
5= Year
XXXX= production number

Call or e-mail MasterCraft and give them the hull number and they can tell you the serial number of the original motor, along with the Checksum for the ECM (this is a good thing to have if you ever need to connect it to a diagnostic computer and want to see if it's up to date or has been recalibrated).

If you don't know the whole history of this boat, it's possible that the original motor was replaced at some point, for a variety of reasons.

Boogieman
01-06-2008, 04:07 PM
well . . actually I don't care about the age of my engine . . . I just need a new one :D

I got a pretty good quote for an engine form http://remanufactured.com/Inboard_Marine_Engines.htm

has anybody ever done business with them?

88 PS190
01-06-2008, 04:35 PM
well . . it maybe is . . but it looks like the intake valve of the first cylinder has destroyed pretty much everything in there . . so rebuilding it here in Switzerland would probably cost more than a new one . . and it has over 3000h on it . . so I'm just checking my options . .

the valve took out the block? normally you will destroy piston and head. but the block seldom gets sacrificed.

It can be expensive to rebuild engines, but shipping from the US would surely begin to offset this.

What would importing the new engine in?

And remember to add $$$ for your core, which if the block is destroyed you will be forfitting that money or if yours is acceptable you will be paying to ship that back.

As these add up it might become worthwhile to rebuild it.

Marine engines are a different animal, slightly. There are carry overs in many components, but the usage is quite different with the marine engines spending a large percentage of there opperating time under high load and above 3500 rpm. Where as in an automobile there is alot of coasting and rpm is often at around 2000 rpm in an american v8 powered automobile at highway speeds.

Goodluck with what you find. If at all possible try to talk with locals who do this sort of thing.

Boogieman
01-07-2008, 07:28 PM
thanks . . so far I'm still just checking my options . . but since the dollar is very low it's cheap to import stuff from the states right now . . I don't have the engine out yet . . but I tried to see into the defective cylinder . . and what I saw wasn't pretty . . but I have to wait till I have the engine out (still waiting for my engine crane to arrive) and the heads off . . then I'll see the complete desaster . . .

and I'm aware of the core-problem . . but as I said . . right now the USD is very cheap . . and with hourly rates of over 200SFR (somewhere around 180$) in swiss machine shops . . and part prices for heads here are around the price of a exchange engine overseas . . I really think a rebuilt engine is an option . . and since the previous owner didn't really maintain the boat . . ( looks like it has overheated quite a few times . . its all melted and broken in the silencers . . "sigh" . . well that was part of why I got the boat so dirt cheap ) . . I'm thinking I would have to rebuild the complete engine . . 300 almost unmaintained hours are quite a few . . .

oh well . . I'll see . . but spring is coming fast . . and I would like to be ready . . as you guys probably can understand :D

Jerseydave
01-07-2008, 08:24 PM
This site has Mercruiser engines and parts...........not sure if this helps

www.part-man.com

Prices seem reasonable

Boogieman
01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
ok . . now it's a fact . . . I need a long block . . . one of my valve seats has eaten my engine . .