PDA

View Full Version : 79 Stringers

79stars
01-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I think I need to replace the stringers as the motor mounts will no longer tighten. Anyone have any suggestions?

tex
01-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I think I need to replace the stringers as the motor mounts will no longer tighten. Anyone have any suggestions?
Have fun! I did it on an 80 Supreme. Not a fun job!

79stars
01-05-2008, 08:36 PM
If you could tell me about it Id appreciate it. I am guessing Ill have to take out the motor and the interior and the deck. Also, what wood did you use, resin, etc.. Thanks

JEREMY79
01-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Have fun guys. I have done it.

Chas
01-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I was lucky once- I had an I/O boat which had the same problem. But I was lucky in that the wood had only rotted very close to the bolt holes. I removed the mounts only - and that was a huge relief - and then I drilled a one-inch hole all the way down to the hull from the top of the stringer. The wood around the new hole was ok, so I glued in hardwood dowel. One of the holes was a little worse, so I had to open up a larger hole in the top of the stringer and I had to chisel/scoop out the bad wood. I ended up putting in a block of wood in that one hole.

Once the glue dried, I sealed the tops of the stringers with epoxy resin and hand laid enough layers of heavy glass cloth to bring it up level with the rest of the stringer, then I put a couple of layers of lighter cloth to cover an area a foot fore and aft of the repair.

It was far from replacing the entire stringer, of course, but it kept the motor in place for years after that. I watched the stringer as we pounded through swells up to three feet at full throttle, and saw no flexing or movement, so I think the strength of the 'glass which encapsulated the wood was still intact.

I have no idea why I was lucky enough that the rot stayed so local, other than this was a salt-water boat?

ski_king
01-05-2008, 11:59 PM
There was a great thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2199&highlight=wood) on this, but the photos are gone now. Maybe somebody out there saved the photos.

Monte
01-06-2008, 12:50 AM
It may just be me, but I would check the stringers before replacing them. My Pylon bolts gave way due to rot, but only due to strain in THAT particular area. I was able to go in with a drill, take out the rotted area, fill the hole with apoxy and toothpicks, let it dry, drill a hole smaller than the Bolt, and bolt it down. Not sure if you have thought of that option, but I figured it may help if the stringers are not toast.

tex
01-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I did mine without pulling the floor! I yanked the motor and tranny and cut around everything. It was a hard and if I had to do it again, I would pull and replace the floor no matter what condition it was. I used treated 2x6's and doubled them. I was not worried about weight. I also just used standard fiberglass and wrapped the wood before installing and then covered it with more glass before screwing it back together! It was strong!

JEREMY79
01-06-2008, 03:05 PM
most of those boats have a problem with the outer two stringers than the two that the engine and tranny bolt to.That is why the floors get soft under both seats.

DemolitionMan
01-06-2008, 03:39 PM
I already had my motor pulled when I did mine. But it is not that difficult of a job if you have the proper tools. First I took a rotozip and cut the floor out with that tool it takes about 30 minutes. Second I took the rotozip and cut the stringers out. Using the existing floor and stringers I used them for my patteren to cut the new ones out. From there its just installing the new stringers, glassing them in then installing the floor and glassing it in. One thing to not when dealing with the 1970s and early 1980s s@s boats is that every one of them is different. Good Luck let me know if you have any questions?

trickskier
01-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I already had my motor pulled when I did mine. But it is not that difficult of a job if you have the proper tools. First I took a rotozip and cut the floor out with that tool it takes about 30 minutes. Second I took the rotozip and cut the stringers out. Using the existing floor and stringers I used them for my patteren to cut the new ones out. From there its just installing the new stringers, glassing them in then installing the floor and glassing it in. One thing to not when dealing with the 1970s and early 1980s s@s boats is that every one of them is different. Good Luck let me know if you have any questions?
Finished talking about football??? :rolleyes:

88 PS190
01-07-2008, 09:00 PM
there are a host of products to "inject" into the area.

But you really want to do it right, which first means figuring out how extensive the damage really is. This can be as simple as drilling some holes to check the integrity of the wood beneath, or as complex as just ripping out the floor and replacing it.

Are the floors soft anywhere that would tell you that the floor needs to come out anyway? If so just man up.

Don't bother going with any sort of composite, wood stringer boats are much quieter anyway.

Slinkyredfoot
01-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I have been following this thread for a bit and finaaly decided to post based on my experience if I may...

I own an original solid 79SS, pulled the engine last winter, checked the stringers and floor, lucky for me everything looked solid and still in great shape...

When we reintalled motor mounts, one bolt would not tighten, checked out the problem, and just worn threads over 28 years. Not to bad huh..:mad: ...:D

Repaired with some great glue and wood shavings, redrilled and lagged..better than new.....:twocents:

79stars
01-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Looks like Im going to pull the bolts and drill them out and refill with git rot for this season. Ill get more indepth next winter as my funding will increase at that time. Any one have experience with "GIT ROT"?

Monte
01-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Can't say that I've ever used it, but let us know how it turns out..
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2093&familyName=Boatlife+GIT-Rot&history=&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=git+rot&match_type=

Looks interesting..

TMCNo1
01-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Any one have experience with "GIT ROT"?

I had it one time, but a shot at the doctor took care of it!:rolleyes: :D

79stars
01-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Well the boat is solid everywhere else which leadsd me to think that the stringers are not bad. However, Ill check it more in depth soon as time is not my friend these days. Thanks for the replys and everyone has really helped me a great deal!

79stars
01-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Well the boat is solid everywhere else which leadsd me to think that the stringers are not bad. However, Ill check it more in depth soon as time is not my friend these days. Thanks for the replys and everyone has really helped me a great deal!