PDA

View Full Version : Which Heatercraft shower option?

mcdoon
01-05-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm putting a heater and shower in my 2000 PS205 this winter and need some advice. Heatercraft has three shower kits in their 1S-Series line. Looks like the top end unit (112SC) has an on-off switch located right on the valve unit itself. That looks like a handy option, letting the person showering control the pump.

Anyone see any reason why I shouldn't go with that one?

Is the wiring more complicated than having to use the dash on-off switch?

I'm also going to be putting in a heater. Are there any changes I should make to the standard shower install to accommodate the heater?

bbeach
01-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Here's a reason - they are WAY over priced. You can buy all the parts seperately at a hardware store + an RV dealership and build your own shower for 1/3 of the cost.

I built one last year and it works great!
buy your pump and hose at an RV store, I think the pump was $62 + tax and 25 feet of white hose. Oh and don't forget the fused ON/OFF switch. $3
go to a hardware store and by your 1/4 brass block fitting, a brass Y connector with adjustment valves.
various hose connections and rubber gaskets
a pvc T connector to tap the cold water source from your intake hose
and finally a nice stainless garden sprayer to be your shower!
Total cost for my shower was about $123

Sodar
01-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Go here (http://www.boatersoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=767): showers are only $199.... I just got one for my boat.

If you call the place before ordering, you can ask for the mixer valves with the switch. It is like $15 dollars more...

suedv
01-05-2008, 01:23 PM
My family does a lot of cold water ski outings so here's my :twocents: worth.

Showers have their convenience... they are right there with the boat and when you want them. If you are sitting with your feet on the swim platform you don't get a lot of water in the boat. However, if you are going to do diehard cold water skiing, they aren't the most effective for getting warm quickly.

We've been out in the fall with friends who have showers and people take a lot of time getting warmed up with the shower. If you go out in the evening in the fall when the light doesn't last very long you miss quite a bit of ski time to people using the shower. We put a cooler of warm water in the boat and/or on the shore. Skiers get warm a lot faster by putting their hands and feet in the cooler.

The cooler thing might not fit your goals, but itís just a thought.

mcdoon
01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
My family does a lot of cold water ski outings so here's my :twocents: worth.

Showers have their convenience... they are right there with the boat and when you want them. If you are sitting with your feet on the swim platform you don't get a lot of water in the boat. However, if you are going to do diehard cold water skiing, they aren't the most effective for getting warm quickly.

We've been out in the fall with friends who have showers and people take a lot of time getting warmed up with the shower. If you go out in the evening in the fall when the light doesn't last very long you miss quite a bit of ski time to people using the shower. We put a cooler of warm water in the boat and/or on the shore. Skiers get warm a lot faster by putting their hands and feet in the cooler.

The cooler thing might not fit your goals, but itís just a thought.

Thanks Sue. Coming from TRUE BLUE (cold blue! :eek3:) ski people like you, that's probably pretty good advice. I'll chew on that one awhile.

Do you guys run heaters?

Mike

mcdoon
01-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Go here (http://www.boatersoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=767): showers are only $199.... I just got one for my boat.

If you call the place before ordering, you can ask for the mixer valves with the switch. It is like $15 dollars more...

Hey Sodar, post some pics if you can because if I go through with the install my next decision is where to mount everything.

dsoby
01-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I have both. Consider that I probably live much further south than you but...
The heater is good for my wife and kids when I want to ski but the air temp is chilly and need her to drive. This is the case mostly on cool summer evenings and in the fall. It will not heat your boat like a car heater. It is more like a motivator to keep my wife in the boat when she would otherwise get out and go inside. Kids love it. The pull out tubes are also good if you are cold after you get out of the water and put one under a blanket with you.
We use our shower mostly for filling wet suits with hot water just prior to jumping in. This is addictive as it eliminates the cold water shock. We use it in the spring and fall for this purpose but only on a limited basis because we switch to drysuits eventually. The shower is also useful for warming feet and hands after skiing in extremely cold water. Some friends use this feature but I usually stop for winter by then.

Jesus_Freak
01-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Hey Sodar, post some pics if you can because if I go through with the install my next decision is where to mount everything.

BrianM did one already, I think. I plan to begin mine this spring as well.

Cary K.
01-08-2008, 08:32 AM
DSOBY said pretty much what I was going to. I do use my heater WAY more than my shower though. If I could only have 1, it would be the heater. Also, if you do order a heater, go ahead and order the "Y" connection for it too, that allows it to blow hot at idle. It is a small price, and something I think should be standard.