I went to make a simple wake jump
it hurt like bi-yatch
My knee gave way and I rolled out,
Pop goes my ACL

Now my summer is ruined,
and I get to have surgery,
at least now I'll get some good drugs
Pop goes my ACL

Be careful out there all you weekend warrior desk jockeys!! We'll be using part of the hamstring (vs the patella tendon) so I can still kneeboard!

Bongo
03-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Owie, owie, owie. Just hurts reading this.

Good luck in your recovery. Seems you've got a good attitude toward it; "...so I can still kneeboard!"

Bongo

Leroy
03-22-2005, 01:02 AM
ACL's are a real problem. The obvious Dr stuff, make sure you are at a place that does lots of these, have a doctor that has done lots of these, and the doctor is older. Success has gotten much better on ACL's. Good luck!

sizzler
03-22-2005, 03:01 AM
ACL's are a real problem. The obvious Dr stuff, make sure you are at a place that does lots of these, have a doctor that has done lots of these, and the doctor is older. Success has gotten much better on ACL's. Good luck!

talley-ho......good luck mate....i snapped one when i was 21...recovered and snapped it again at 27....the new surgery where they strip your hamstring was fantastic...My knee feels stronger than ever,,i barefoot,wakeboard etc...and still cut a mean shape on the dancefloor.....just do what the docs say and you'll be stronger than ever...and the copious amounts of morphine they give you straight after the op is fantastic............the leg exercising machine they put you on immediatley after you come round is a byatch......just pump that morf :D

ski_king
03-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Ouch!!
Thats one song I don't want to sing.....
Good luck with the surgery.

Professor
03-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Good Luck and may you be back on the water soon! Leroy and Sizzler had some good advice. A couple of my ski friends had the same problem but recoved well. Let's us know how it goes.

Larryp
03-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Hey this is my first post. I tore my acl at 18, went on to play college football, never had a problem. i actually went snow skiing 3 months after my surgery, i couldn't run but I could still ski. make sure you do your rehab, do more if you can and you will be fine.

SteveO
03-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Be sure to do the rehab. As everyone else has posted, you should be back to true form before summer is out. Your ACL story reminds me of a warrior I met at the MC dealer. He asked what my water sport of choice was and I answered slalom. He proceeded to tell me that he used to slalom till he blew out a knee, then went to wakeboarding till he blew out his shoulder, so he is a sky skier.

tex
03-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Talleyho-Sucks about the ACL!!! Where are you located in Texas? I have some good friends who do rehab. I hear they specialize in ACL's. They took care of my arm and were top notch!

MarkP
03-22-2005, 10:53 AM
ACLs We donít need no stinking ACLs:(

Good luck with it

TalleyHo
03-23-2005, 10:01 PM
My wife is a PT, so I think I'm covered. She is already having me do all the strecthes and such so I don't regress while I'm layed up. Simple things like hamstring strecthes, calf stretches, and various other muscle stretches.

I'm going to the same doc that did her ACL 3 years ago. I'm opting for the hamstring graft for the speedy recovery aspect.

I'm glad to hear all the success stories tho -- although the re-injury one scares me! And I can't wait for the vicadin! I'm sure it will be hydrocodone, but still - thats some good stuff!

I'm in Dallas - and I just met a Sky skier -- I haven't riden the chair yet, but from what he said, it is a natural progression from wakeboarding to wheel-chairing when the body can't take the abuse any more. The only bad thing is that habit will cost me a pretty penny to get into. :(

Surgery is tenative for Apr 7. Maybe I'll post back up when I'm all doped up. That should be fun.

robisjo
03-23-2005, 11:12 PM
I had an ACL reconstruction 14 years ago. My doctor used a tendon from a cadaver. Speedy recovery and miminal scaring. I have no idea if they are still doing it. I had it checked out 4 years ago and it is still strong.

Leroy
03-23-2005, 11:55 PM
I see many soccer players with this. Many of the guys I play with have cuts on their knees. Seems to be 3-6 month recovery, but all come back to play just as good as before now. Ten or more years ago you had 3 inch cut, now it is 0.5 to 1". Not sure if these injuries are the same as you have but suspect similar.College friend hurt his ACL in high school football 30 years ago, has big 3+ inch cuts and looking at another surgery now so he can keep walking. This is truly an area where medical advances have been good.

bradamerry
03-24-2005, 12:30 AM
Sorry to hear this TalleyHo. Hope the rehab goes well. Some beer with the Wildman at Greeson should help ;) !

NeilM
03-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Also sorry to hear, TalleyHo. I guess we're all learning that Wakeboarding is a dangerous sport...

jjsosnowski
03-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Sorry about your bad luck. I smoked mine on astro turf in college days. I have been having troble with mine lately too. Just had recent MRI. every thing looks good all anchors still in bones,screws inplace,meniscus looked ok no further damage. Orthopedic surgeon had custom knee brace brace made for me to help protect it while barefooting. Company that makes them is EBI medical absolutly love it very comfortable, sense of security. hope things work out.

roddydog
03-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Popped mine two summers ago and will get it done this spring. I also have a brace made by a company called DonJoy. It's been great, snowboarding all winter. I could probably just keep using the brace but I'd like to get it done, sometimes just walking it will feel a bit off. I wasn't told about the hamstring option, will have to ask my doc about it. Hope to be skiing and boarding by mid summer.
Good luck with yours!

BLAKE
04-02-2005, 08:25 PM
I TORE MY ACL TO, BUT i WAS MOTOCROSS RACING,iVE HAD TO BE IN A BRACE FOR TO YEARS THOUGH BECAUSE i AM NOT TALL ENOUGH YET-BLAKE

GOOD LUCK WITH SURGERY

TalleyHo
04-09-2005, 12:07 AM
For anyone that hasn't seen the inside of a knee, here's your chance. The ACL is completely hosed here, and there was a small tear in the lateral (outside) meniscus. I chose the hamstring graft option.

http://talleyj.home.comcast.net/acl/

NeilM
04-09-2005, 12:22 AM
'hope you recover fast, man. Thanks for the pics - Team Talk is now teaching medicine too... cool...:D

jimmer2880
04-11-2005, 07:11 AM
'hope you recover fast, man. Thanks for the pics - Team Talk is now teaching medicine too... cool...:D

Medicine, explosives & mixing drinks... what a kick@ss combination!

thx for the pic's - I've always wondered what mine will look like when they go.

Granite_33
04-14-2005, 10:50 PM
TallyHMMMMMMMMM......I just puked in my mouth looking at those pics....... :eek:

Best wishes in your recovery and rehab.

Technology has definitely progressed.

Having played F-ball in college, I watched too many (10-12) teammates tear up their knees from the turf. It was always the ACL...the biggie.

Unfortunately, our team doc was a quack and most of the guys ended up with 20" of staples holding their skin together. He just layed them open...........(late 80's, early 90's) Sad to see some of these guys limping around campus looking like they had duffle bag zippers sewn into their skin. :mad:

I think the doctor owns a bar now.....

erkoehler
04-14-2005, 11:12 PM
he must have done real well. :eek:

Granite_33
04-15-2005, 11:06 AM
he must have done real well. :eek:
He was very adept with a martini. Scalpel? No
Martini? Yes.......