PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Top

sapilot143
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I have a 96 200VRS that I am installing a DIY wake tower on and also want to install a bimini top on the boat.

The obvious pitfalls to look for would be to make sure the bimini opens and closes without obstruction from the tower.

Does anyone have experience with bimini tops and could give a suggestion on where to get a Bimini top that works well with wakeboard towers? Also is it better to install it on the tower or on the boat itself ?

Cheers

Dave

ShamrockIV
01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I am about to put a tower on my 97 205. i am in the same boat.

U sure u do not want to go with a new dimension? The guys on here have talked me into it!!

endl
01-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Dave, I used to own a 94 225VRS and I was planning on installing a tower and Bimini and did a little planning. I would install the tower then measure from inside to inside and plan on installing the Bimini on the tower. Go look at some new boats and see how they are installed/type of mounting hardware you need ect. You can get all that stuff including the Top at Overtons, Boaters World ect.

They make those tops in different widths, materials, colors ect with Sunbrella usually being the most expensive and best.

endl
01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I am about to put a tower on my 97 205. i am in the same boat.

U sure u do not want to go with a new dimension? The guys on here have talked me into it!!
You can go to New Diminsion and look at the tower on a boat similiar to yours. Ditto on what Shamrock said they make the best towers for MasterCrafts.

gregl
01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Check With New Demision They Are Supposed To Have Biminis That Fit Towers This Year. Towerbiminis.com May Be Another Option. Mount It To The Tower

sapilot143
01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I will go do some more research on what is available at Overtons etc for the bimini. The main thing I am looking for is that it looks good, it strong and doesnt rattle and is a fairly decent size since my wife like to sit in the shade.

On the tower subject....
While the ND tower certainly looks great and is undoubtedly the best on the market for a MC, I have to weigh up things like my level of wakeboarding skill, the age and value of the boat against around $3k for the ND tower with Wakeboard and ski racks...

I have been going back and forth for a few months on the tower decision and have done a fair amount of research on the DIY tower as well as others like monster ND etc. Value for money I just cant be beat DIY when weighed up against my requirements. It looks pretty good on the boat, the universal joints are not the cheap type and all reviews I have read are that it is a sturdy/solid quiet tower. (thanks to Ron from this site for his pictures I can also see the tower on the same boat as mine)

Net is that I get the tower, double wakeboard rack, ski rack and delivery for under $1000 with their winter specials. By the time I add some speakers and lights, it really should look pretty cool.....

All that plus I have got a KGTC (Kid Going To College)

Tower should be here in a week and I will post my comments on the tower and install. I will have to wait till its a bit warmer to test it out, but I should get a pretty good feel for the tower.

cheers

Dave

stuartmcnair
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
3K??? I spent less than $1,500 on my ND with them installing it. That included the two wakeboard racks.

I am going to have towerbiminis.com build me a top that matches the boat at some point.

Farmer Ted
01-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Check With New Demision They Are Supposed To Have Biminis That Fit Towers This Year. Towerbiminis.com May Be Another Option. Mount It To The Tower

I can't say enough good things about Wayne Hartford and his crew.

I got a mini installed on my boat this past spring and Wayne let me hang around the shop all day and watch as he pulled four sticks of aluminum off the rack and made my tower from scratch.

He was even nice enough to answer all my stupid questions!

This is the prototype bimini he has in his show room, not sure when it will go into production but if you super size the picture and look closely you'll see the support rods that are under the top.

Very clever design, as would be expected from NDT!

http://www.needadecal.com/ndtbimini.JPG

sapilot143
01-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Stuart

Thanks for the info on Towerbiminis.com.

BTW Since I was intersted in the $1500 you paid ND for your tower I got a quote from New dimension today for a tower on my boat.
Tower, Ski Rack, WB Rack, Shipping $2554. While I 100% agree the ND is the way to go if cash is not an object, for all the reasons I stated above I feel comfortable with my decision.

thanks for all your valued input

Cheers

stuartmcnair
01-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I see a couple of the big differences in our setup. The ski rack is way more expensive and my boat was in Maryville at the time so there was no shipping.

jbanczak
01-05-2008, 02:39 AM
I decided to go with the DIY tower as well on a 1999 230VRS. You can see my detailed notes on installing it in another post.

As far as the bimini - we have the standard 3-bar bimini - the kind you get from Overton's for a few hundred dollars. We had it before we bought the tower, and kept using it. The way ours mounts, it stays clear of the tower. The bimini mounts to the windshield for the three bars, and then attaches to hooks in front of the windshield with a webbing strap.

The bimini is entirely inside of the tower. When pulling it fully down or putting it fully up, at full height, it hits the sides of the tower, so you have to slightly angle it to get it setup, but not a big deal at all. Once up, or once down, it sits in there perfectly. You can see it rolled-up in my pics if you want to get an idea.

Have you looked at the Big Air Pylons bimini though? I am pretty certain it attaches to a DIY tower with ease. It mounts to the tower itself - looks really cool - no webbing straps - seems like it might be a better way to go.

When our basic model kicks the bucket, I think we'll try one of those next - they are only $440 shipped...

rwoznock
01-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I have the same tower your getting but I also installed speakers on my tower which changes the height a little. When I bought the boat it came with a bimini that would not fit inside my tower. I drilled out the rivets and cut down the top supports to fit inside and underneath the speakers, then put the rivets back in to hold it together. DIY also sells 2" bimini mounts that attach to the tower and thats how I mounted mine. Since your buying a new bimini, just make sure the measurments of the bimini will fit to the installed tower on your boat, or buy the one gregl or jbanczak was talking about that are designed for it. Good Luck!