PDA

View Full Version : 351 W Oil pump

scramblerkid
08-07-2004, 02:51 PM
anybody ever have to mess with there oil pump? My 76 351 (reverse rotation) starts and runs, but has no oil pressure. I removed the sending unit and nothing comes out of the block (engine running)

I pulled the dist. today, and I don't see any receiving gear inside of the block for an oil pump.

I bought the boat at auction, and have only gotten it to run this week.

Anybody know if the marine oil pump is different than a ford truck oil pump? Anything else I should check when I pull off the oil pan?

thanks...

JimN
08-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Is there a gear on the cam under the distributor? How about the condition of the gear on the distributor shaft?

scramblerkid
08-07-2004, 05:12 PM
the dist looks good, cam gear is good. I pulled the dist, and it doesn't look like there is anything for the bottom of the dist to fit into.

JimN
08-07-2004, 07:22 PM
So, there's no hex hole on the bottom of the distributor gear? Is there a hex rod inside the motor when you look into the hole in the intake manifold?

lakes Rick
08-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Possibly someone removed the distributor and the hex drive cam out with it and fell off or was not reinstalled.....

scramblerkid
08-07-2004, 10:37 PM
hex cam rod? Huh?

I bought the boat without the distributor installed. Is there supposed to be a rod under the dist? It does look like there is a hex hole wayyyyyy at the bottom of the dist hole... Would this be a common part? Can I install it without pulling the pan? What keeps it from moving while I install the dist?

Anybody know where I could find a dist rod?

scramblerkid
08-07-2004, 10:56 PM
aha haaaaa Eurika

http://www.coasthigh.com/oil_systems.html?Submit2=Oil+Pumps

"oil pump drive shaft" eh.

Huh, AMC engines don't have those...

Thanks guys, I'll post if it works, but I'm sure it will. I just hope I didn't ruin my engine running it without it...

==============

I had to buy a new pump shaft (found the new one the day after...) runs much better now... The hardest part was getting everything to line up again to re-install the distributor