PDA

View Full Version : Musicians - piano?

shepherd
01-03-2008, 01:19 AM
OK, I know there are some guitar players on this board. Anyone play the piano? We just bought this baby last week. After years of dinking around on other people's pianos and playing other instruments, I'm finally going to get serious about this.

east tx skier
01-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Very pretty. I can play piano. We have my wife's dad's old player. My mom's got a nice baby grand that I still get to play when I'm down that direction.

wheelerd
01-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Nice instrument.

I'm actually a music professor at a college in Canada. I have a doctorate in piano performance from the U of Oklahoma. (Gotta love those Sooners!)

Tourist asks a little kid on a New York street corner, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" Kid replies, "Practice mister, practice."

So there you go.

shepherd
01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Wow, a doctorate in piano performance? You must be pretty good! ;)
I'm sure you play on better pianos than this one. It's a 2 yr old Yamaha GC1.

(Sorry about those Sooners)

ProTour X9
01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I've played for quite some years now.

wheelerd
01-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Those little Yamaha grands are nice pianos. Better than 99% of what most people practice on.
I had the opportunity this summer of going to the Steinway factory in NYC to pick out a new concert grand for the college where I teach.

SkiDog
01-04-2008, 09:49 AM
I saw some pics on another board of the UMP'S collection of guitars. I counted 19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that don't include all his other stuff! Amp's, keyboards, ect..... And the kid can play too!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked him what the hell he was doing working for a car dealership?! He could play with ANYBODY!:worthy: :guitar: :guitar:

TX.X-30 fan
01-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I've played for quite some years now.

With the pink MC cap on.:confused:

:D :D

ProTour X9
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
With the pink MC cap on.:confused:

:D :D

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0146.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-msn-smileys.php)

shepherd
01-04-2008, 12:11 PM
I saw some pics on another board of the UMP'S collection of guitars. I counted 19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that don't include all his other stuff! Amp's, keyboards, ect..... And the kid can play too!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked him what the hell he was doing working for a car dealership?! He could play with ANYBODY!:worthy: :guitar: :guitar:

Where is that boy anyway? He hasn't posted here in a few weeks. Not like him.

I blame the dark side. I knew that was going to happen... :noface:

ProTour X9
04-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Workin on these two right now
Whole Lotta Shakin' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CT96do552V0)
And End of the Road (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2dEUzVRPuR4)

Yes, the Killer....

LKNMC
04-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Nice piano we just bought a '76 Yamaha CS2

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Tourist asks a little kid on a New York street corner, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" Kid replies, "Practice mister, practice."

So there you go.

haha that's pretty funny... i've actually sang in carnegie... yep i was on stage the whole deal... great honor to have performed in that iconic hall...

yamaha makes a good piano... i've played a 300 yr old Chickering Square Grand since i was about 8... not as well as i used to though... college happened... have fun with the piano... one of the most relaxing things you can do in life i sit down and pound out a couple of tunes you spent a couple of weeks getting right... you've got a great instrument

ProTour X9
04-04-2008, 12:04 PM
We have a Yamaha Clavinova similar to this one (http://yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D31096%252526CTID%25253D203600,00.ht ml#)

And a 50's (approx.) Vose & Sons

88 PS190
04-04-2008, 12:39 PM
3 years of organ lessons and no... cannot play anything with a keyboard. Never worked for me, my mom wanted us to learn to play organ because she did, but what kid wants to learn organ through a church playing hymns etc. It was the least effective music lesson ever, nothing interesting or fun to play etc.

People if you want your kids to play instruments find someone who can teach them to play using something more exciting than books of old boring church music.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-04-2008, 02:12 PM
sorry I totally missed this thread.

Thanks for the compliments Eddie. I appreciate it.

Yes, music is my other passion. I have played guitar for 21 years now. thats so long ago!!! the ones you saw in those pics were my good ones, most of those are Jackson USA's. damn fine instruments. some of the best in the world. they are performance machines. not meant for "sunday drives". They loved to be ripped up. I got some older clunkers still hangin around too. I dont sell guitars. I just cant part with them.

Congrats on the piano Shep. its an investment for sure. I can tell you this, every bit of what you put into that piano in effort comes back at you. I practiced like a maniac thru my late teens and 20's and got to the point of being able to go pro. Since I have gotten my boat I havent kept up with the guitar as much as I would like to, and family obligations have occupied some of my time too, but I still play often. alot of the darkside crew have heard my stuff.

04-04-2008, 02:12 PM
sorry. double post.

04-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Where is that boy anyway? He hasn't posted here in a few weeks. Not like him.

I blame the dark side. I knew that was going to happen... :noface:

Cant help it man. the Darkside is just TOO much fun and I only have so much time I can spend online, so that's where I hang my hat most of the time.

M-Funf
04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I started taking lessons last Spring, but I dropped due to lack of time. I'll probably pick it back up again in the Fall.

We inherited an older Steinway console. Sounds great.

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 03:05 PM
i'll tell you 90% of piano is reading music... the other 50% is moving the fingers

Bruce
04-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Small world. I too have sung at Carnegie. In the big room i.e Issac Stern auditorium. My choir did the Verdi Requiem backed up by the Manhattan Phil. The place was packed. You are right it is a real thrill to stand on that stage and think of the greats that have stood there.
By the way my daughter is an Auburn grad.

oops forgot to quote auburnx2 in the quote.

Bruce
04-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Those little Yamaha grands are nice pianos. Better than 99% of what most people practice on.
I had the opportunity this summer of going to the Steinway factory in NYC to pick out a new concert grand for the college where I teach.
We are saving for one now(my church) What is it going for now $80 to 90K?

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 03:18 PM
we did Mozart's Coronation Mass... o yea in the original Latin from MEMORY!!!... it sucked learning and memorizing but it was a heck of an experience... i can't remember who was accompanying us but i do know that we had Pavarato Antoni from the three tenors and 2 other "famous" opera singers there too... amazing experience

ProTour X9
04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
we did Mozart's Coronation Mass... o yea in the original Latin from MEMORY!!!... it sucked learning and memorizing but it was a heck of an experience... i can't remember who was accompanying us but i do know that we had Pavarato Antoni from the three tenors and 2 other "famous" opera singers there too... amazing experience

Well that sounds.................exciting:noface: http://tools.digeratimarketing.co.uk/content/lb/smile/indifferent/indifferent0020.gif (http://www.magictrance.net)
Sorry, I never got into Mozart.8p

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 03:42 PM
amazing to perform... i could agree about classical... most of it is more fun for me to play than to listen to... i was in a regional orchestra and band and stuff in high school

Bruce
04-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Did the Latin but not from memory. I'm impressed .I can't remember what I had for breakfast! Our lead tenor was Stuart Neal who they say may well be the 3rd tenor now that Pavaroti has died. To hear those herald trumpets from the balconies would give you chill bumps. Choir was 300 strong. Could not get another chair on stage. Largest choir they said to ever perform there. We are going to Greece next year and will be doing Elijah.

ProTour X9
04-04-2008, 03:46 PM
amazing to perform... i could agree about classical... most of it is more fun for me to play than to listen to... i was in a regional orchestra and band and stuff in high school

I was talking about playing it too....the weird thing is, in jazz band, people will say : "Lets hear some Beethoven, or Mozart" what I normally do is play the very first part of "Fur Elise" and then start playing "Down by the Riverside" or just play some Boogie Woogie:cool:

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 03:48 PM
wow... heck of a showing!!!... i don't know how i did it b/c the week before i went to NYC i was in colorado snow skiing... had wind burn and goggle lines still when i was on stage b/c the director called me out on it lol...

Pavaroti... that's the guy... memorized a Mozart mass in old Latin but the guy on stage... naaa

shepherd
04-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Speaking of Carnegie Hall... in my high school bass playing days we played on the back deck of Mandy's house during a party when her parents were out of town. I'm not sure, but I think there was a keg.

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 04:35 PM
LOL if you're comparing it to Carnegie Hall it must have been a rough audience

04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
i'll tell you 90% of piano is reading music... the other 50% is moving the fingers

what about those that dont read music?

Dont forget us!

I learned to read music in 4th grade. I read music through 4 years of school band and I hated every minute of. EVERY MINUTE. It wasnt until I rebelled and picked up guitar that I actually enjoyed music. I learned to play by ear and develped relative pitch. I cant even think of reading music anymore. The thoguht of sight reading just turns me off music SO badly. I cant "feel" the music if I am reading it. When I started playing by ear is when I started enjoying music. Now here is the REAL goofy part....... I learned basic music theory on my own. from some books. and it really helped me alot, even though I STILL chose not to read music. I dont sight read, yet I can sit and help other figure out harmony intervals and such because of my understanding of music theory, but I absolutly HATE sight reading.

I am not a piano player by any means, but I can sit down and actually figure out songs by ear on it. NOt as well as on guitar, but I can still do it.

I remember one day I was going home from work, and I heard REO speedwagon's "keep on loving you" on the radio, and it stuck in my head, and I went home and sat down at the piano and figured it out. not even listening to the CD, just from the pitch in my memory. FUn stuff.

ProTour X9
04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
I know what you're saying UMP, my sister is all reading music, she can sight read a song and be really good at it. I can sight read ok, and mostly play by ear, personally I think reading music is something you need if you think you wanna be a true musician. I tought myself how to play guitar, and really can't correspond the notes that well, I do know the chords, I absolutely HATE tabs. I really didn't get theory from reading music either.

04-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I know what you're saying UMP, my sister is all reading music, she can sight read a song and be really good at it. I can sight read ok, and mostly play by ear, personally I think reading music is something you need if you think you wanna be a true musician. I tought myself how to play guitar, and really can't correspond the notes that well, I do know the chords, I absolutely HATE tabs. I really didn't get theory from reading music either.

SO people that cannot read music are not TRUE musicians?

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 05:35 PM
well i have to say UMP to be able to do that is a blessing and a gift... i wih i could do it but i don't have it... i can do it some but it takes a good bit of listening and working on it repetedly...

as far as true musicians... i wouldn't dare say people who don't read music aren't musicians... i seriously doubt Jimmi Hendrix could point to middle C on a sheet of music... but i think you are at a disadvantage... there are basically two ways to communicate music... by sound or by paper... if you can only do it one way then... but DON'T get me wrong i would rather be able to play by ear than read anyday... it gets really expensive buying music to play

04-04-2008, 05:49 PM
It is a skill that can be learned. trust me. This is a big misconception. Perfect pitch can be learned too, but once you learn it, you cannot "UNLEARN" it. your trapped. I have talked to numerous people that have learned it, and they say its a living hell. YOu are constantly picking out imperfections in every thing you hear. Relative pitch allows you alot of relief from that. I just learned relative pitch by accident via playing by ear.

I can sit and figure out the most complicated classical pieces on a guitar. I completely figured out Bach's Air on a G String by ear. I played it live, kind of a "Bach rock" version of it. ALmost a fusion style. so there really is no limit to the skill, but you need to work at it to be proficient at it.

I have done that many times where I am driving home for lunch, hear a song on the radio, and grab my guitar and sit and figure it out.

its a skill that can be learned.

shepherd
04-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I remember one day I was going home from work, and I heard REO speedwagon's "keep on loving you" on the radio, and it stuck in my head, and I went home and sat down at the piano and figured it out. not even listening to the CD, just from the pitch in my memory. FUn stuff.

I can do that with one-note-at-a-time melodies, but it would be a long long long long long time before I could do that with chords. My hat's off to you. I can't sight read worth a damn, but I know what the notes on the paper mean. I figure the song out on the piano one measure at a time until muscle memory takes over. After a couple months of practice that way, I can finally make it all the way through Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (yeah, gey song, but it's fun to play). I'm working on "Linus and Lucy" and "The Entertainer" also.

ProTour X9
04-05-2008, 09:31 AM
SO people that cannot read music are not TRUE musicians?

Story time..........

In our jazz band theres a kid named Ryan. He wanted to play the bass and knew how to very well. My teacher gave him the sheet music to it, he looked at it and said "don't you have tabs?", my teacher almost blew up. He's learning to read music now and is certainly taking a while. He can play piano too, but learns from videos on youtube. If we're doodling a little jam while the teacher is out he can figure out what we're playing but couldn't tell you what key it was in. I can know the key and be able to improvise w/o written music.

Ok about true musicians: What if you get hired for a band and they hand you sheet music and tell you to learn it by tommorow??

coz
04-05-2008, 09:54 AM
what about those that dont read music?

Dont forget us!

I learned to read music in 4th grade. I read music through 4 years of school band and I hated every minute of. EVERY MINUTE. It wasnt until I rebelled and picked up guitar that I actually enjoyed music. I learned to play by ear and develped relative pitch. I cant even think of reading music anymore. The thoguht of sight reading just turns me off music SO badly. I cant "feel" the music if I am reading it. When I started playing by ear is when I started enjoying music. Now here is the REAL goofy part....... I learned basic music theory on my own. from some books. and it really helped me alot, even though I STILL chose not to read music. I dont sight read, yet I can sit and help other figure out harmony intervals and such because of my understanding of music theory, but I absolutly HATE sight reading.

I am not a piano player by any means, but I can sit down and actually figure out songs by ear on it. NOt as well as on guitar, but I can still do it.

You need to post a vid UMP! I'd like to see you jam! :guitar:

Lennyp04
04-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Veru nice piano. Ive been playing since 2nd grade. I'm now in 11th. Its actually a really cool feeling when you can sit down at a piano and play something from memory

Bruce
04-05-2008, 01:30 PM
When we were first married my wife knew how badly I wanted to learn to play the guitar. On our first anniv. she gave me a Fender Acoustical and prepaid my guitar lessons. At the first lesson the instructor asked "what kind of music do you like?" I said I loved all music. "What is the first thing you would like to learn to play on the guitar?" I replied without hesitation, Malaguenia (sp.) He replied ,also without hesitation, "here is your money back" I will not be able to teach you. There went my dreams. I turned to vocal music and have been singing ever since.(That's about 50 yrs ago.) I guess if I has told him flamenco style he would have really flipped out.

Cloaked
04-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Cant help it man. the Darkside is just TOO much fun and I only have so much time I can spend online, so that's where I hang my hat most of the time.I knew that would happen... :D :D

UMP can play like no one's business. Extraordinary to say the least. And a fine collection of guitars.

roddydog
04-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Played since I was 5.

Best language you'll ever learn.