PDA

View Full Version : Car Salesman

mjw101081
01-03-2008, 12:32 AM
I want to get the general concensus on a new car salesman. All thoughts....

cbryan70
01-03-2008, 12:35 AM
meaning as a job?

cbryan70
01-03-2008, 12:37 AM
if so my sister sells cars new and used cars and does well. She is now an internet manager, but from my understanding it really depends on the dealership

Leroy
01-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Pretty general question?

Kind of like asking for a general concensus of Financial Advisors or Electrical Engineers :)

BrianM
01-03-2008, 09:33 AM
I sold cars for two years. I worked at a great dealership and it was a great job that I had fun at and made good money. The hours wer pretty long. Oh and from a money standpoint you make MUCH better money selling used than new. I sold both. If it wasn't for the used I would have starved.

milkmania
01-03-2008, 09:47 AM
if so my sister sells cars new and used cars and does well. She is now an internet manager, but from my understanding it really depends on the dealership

my son sells new & used at a clusterfooked dealership!

he sold 11 new cars in December...
his base/requirement was 18 cars.:rolleyes:

his finance manager left to go to a better dealership on Dec. 31st.
Finance manager was replaced with a salesman that sold 3 cars in December.

dirtiest, nastiest showroom restroom I've ever seen in my life!

bigmac
01-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I want to get the general concensus on a new car salesman. All thoughts....Some are good, some are slimey, and there's a bunch in between -- just like many other jobs that deal with the public. In the case of new car sales, I don't think it's the individual salesman as much as the culture of the particular car dealership.

Monte
01-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I've been there done that. Remember you are only as good as the dealer you represent. The biggest problem is the roller coaster ride you will be on in the first 2 or three years. One month you'll make a ton of money, the next it will slack off and you will barely make draw. At least that was my experience.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-03-2008, 10:50 AM
dirtiest, nastiest showroom restroom I've ever seen in my life!
So you are saying they spend all of there time focused on what they do best (Customer service) instead of cleaning.

VirtualWi
01-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I also think it's not so much the dealer, but what companies the dealer represents. Since Dodge and Ford have had their problems, sales get slow and tend to turn good sales people into slimy ones. Honda and Toyota pretty much always sell their cars without special deals and tend to provide a more-stable environment. At least this is my first-hand experience after dealing with many of them and listening to the sales people.

6ballsisall
01-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey its a profession! I have to give those guys credit. Alot of them are hard workers and I respect a guy/gal who's hungry to make a deal.

I know of guys that make 150k+ a year selling cars, its not uncommon for GM's to pull in 250k+ and finance managers close to that. The hours are a bit rough (late nights) and sometimes the circle of "friends" you would create in that work environment might not always be the healthiest. As Monte said, your paychecks could be a lot like a realtors paychecks, cash flush one month, cash poor the next....

ShamrockIV
01-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Why do i want to punch a salesman when they say," I am here for YOU!!"

i always buy my cars( which are preowned by the way) from the same place. they have 3 dealerships and i talk to the owner or his son. no middlemen and they show me what they can sell it for so no haggling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i once left a lot over 50 bucks!!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-03-2008, 11:01 AM
FWIW-
It's really easy to negotiate a deal over the internet/email with dealerships now. I have done it a couple times.

VirtualWi
01-03-2008, 11:03 AM
FWIW-
It's really easy to negotiate a deal over the internet/email with dealerships now. I have done it a couple times.

Agree...it's a great way to get a great deal

6ballsisall
01-03-2008, 11:04 AM
FWIW-

TRU DAT! In a way, this is really hurting the car salesman IMO. It becomes more of a price war and doesn't give the salesperson the ability to rub shoulders w/ the buyer on the lot and get them comfortable in buying on more than just price.
But as you said, the internet/email definetely plays an advantage to the buyer purely on a pricing standpoint and time resource standpoint (saves time visiting lots looking for the right car)

JimN
01-03-2008, 11:31 AM
"i once left a lot over 50 bucks!!"

What movie is this line from?

Aww, fifty bucks never killed anyone".

wakolman
01-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Car sales has extremely high turnover. If I ever glance at the Sunday Jobs section of the paper, it is loaded with dealer ads looking for sales people.

BrianM
01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Since Dodge and Ford have had their problems, sales get slow and tend to turn good sales people into slimy ones. Honda and Toyota pretty much always sell their cars without special deals and tend to provide a more-stable environment.

In my experience Toyota dealerships are the absolute worst for slimy car salesmen. Most of the Toyota dealerships push their salesmen to meet very high quotas. The other dealerships that have a tendancy to be bad are those that cater to the lower income crowd Hyundai, Suzuki, Nissan etc.

milkmania
01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
So you are saying they spend all of there time focused on what they do best (Customer service) instead of cleaning.

no, I'm talking about hairy boogers on the wall for months
rusty urine stains on all the metal fixtures
rusting stall doors/partitions
moldy baseboards
dirty floor
dirty sink
yellowed flourescent light lenses stacked in the corner falling down (probably urine stained):rolleyes:

hell, my junk was cleaner than that bathroom!!!!

atlfootr
01-03-2008, 12:31 PM
My sister sells cars, new and used cars and does well.
She is now an internet manager, but from my understanding it really depends on the dealership
I've heard that "women" do better in percentage of sales, then "men" do.
Ask your sister next time you see her, what the stats say regarding this little factoid :rolleyes:

cbryan70
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
ive heard it to my neighbor got her the job she had been out of the game for a couple years due to kids but was their top sales guy when she left...it was a while ago and the guys really didnt like her much. When she was working there it was her and one other girl so now just one girl there. I think people think they can walk on girls more then guys. Knowing my sister well i would say complete opposite, she knows her stuff and has started teaching me alot about sales and different techniques.

shepherd
01-03-2008, 12:42 PM
If I was a car salesman, I would treat all customers with respect (huh, maybe I wouldn't last long in the business) and I would know my product inside and out. One thing that has really disappointed me is a salesman who can't tell me the tow capacity of their trucks, whether a car is front wheel or rear wheel drive (yes, it happened once), etc.

cbryan70
01-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Some people in sales seem to get "to into product knowledge" and just seem to talk stricktly about the specs of the cars and do not seem to learn what the customer wants. I know a guy like this...ask him anything about any car on the lot and he can give you gear ratio, hp. tourqe, weight of vehical cubic inches anything, but to watch him give a sales pitch...painful

h2oskifreak
01-03-2008, 01:12 PM
My best bud sells cars. Used to do internet car sales but Toyota has implemented new pay structure that makes it imposible to make a living (internet). Traffic is key to choosing a dealership to work at. Viable parts of town are a good place to start. I do Real Estate and the internet is good for consumers to browse, but a real pain in my a$*. Almost every inquary you get takes time and then simply dissapears. I have been at it for 20 years and the internet does very little to make me $.

Monte
01-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Car sales is not as easy as it looks. You put in a lot of long hours. Depending on the dealership there can be some major pressure. I once worked for a dealership that mandated if you didn't get the prospect into the showroom you took a mandatory 3 day vacation. Do you know how many tire kickers show up on a lot after dinner time? I never got the much dreaded vacation, but I found myself begging some people to come in and talk to the "tower". That same dealership was agianst giving sticker prices too. They wanted you to give an approximate payment amount when asked the price question. Face it, a lot of people only visit car lots when they "need" a car, all they need is some guidance and persuasion. Others go to look at the inventory to "kick tires". Most of the time it is the luck of the draw. If they "Lay down" their credit stinks. I'm not saying don't do it, just select the dealership wisely. Good luck

BrianM
01-03-2008, 01:54 PM
just select the dealership wisely. Good luck

That is the KEY to selling cars. I was fortunate that I worked at a very low pressure dealership that was more into gross than volume. I sold 8-12 cars a month and made more money than others I knew at high volume high pressure dealerships selling 20-25 cars a month.

A good sales manager and a good finance guy can make you a lot of money on every unit.

Ric
01-03-2008, 01:58 PM
They are all no good. Just like Erkoehler

Workin' 4 Toys
01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
In my experience Toyota dealerships are the absolute worst for slimy car salesmen. . Thanks for posting that, I'll add it to my other list of 134,324 reasons to stay away from those dumps.

Farmer Ted
01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
This may be slightly off topic, but it's a great read..............

Confessions of a Car Salesman

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

Workin' 4 Toys
01-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Agree...it's a great way to get a great deal
Kind of like how I get my christmas shopping done. Drinkin' coffee, in my pajamas with my feet up on the desk...:D

I do frequent dealerships though. I like to keep tabs on what I see in their day to day operations. Sometimes I'll even drop in at a dealership and sit at one of the desks. When they ask if they can help me, I respond, sure I take my coffee with a little hazelnut creamer and a touch of sugar....I'm going to like working here, everyone is so friendly. Thanks, I'll wait here.....

I don't too often see them again before I leave....

atlfootr
01-03-2008, 02:49 PM
This may be slightly off topic, but it's a great read..............

Confessions of a Car Salesman

What really goes on in the back rooms of car dealerships across America?

What does the car salesman do when he leaves you sitting in a sales office and goes to talk with his boss?

Like you, I've only read the first two lines and I'm already impelled to continue on :rolleyes:
Can't wait to read the answers to these and the many more questions that follow ...

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

BrianM
01-03-2008, 03:25 PM
They never go for a demo if you ask them. 'Cause they know they're weak. If they drive it they'll buy it. The feel of the wheel will seal the deal, my friend. So you got to kidnap them, man. Just slam the door and take off. Come on, let's go."

So true. I loved doing that. Kind of a game really.

atlfootr
01-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Confessions of a Car SalesmanI'm on Part 3 :rolleyes:

Monte
01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
I read the whole darn thing. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed selling cars. You get demos to drive (free gas) you just have to be ready. My record was 5 units in one day... The Saturday before memorial day 1999.. Ah memories..

Sold the guy that hired me into the Insurance industry a 2000 Explorer. He liked my honest approach, the rest is history.

east tx skier
01-04-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm on Part 3 :rolleyes:

Read that cover to cover a while back. Very interesting stuff. Just bought my wife's car from a dealer in Dallas through ebay. Best car buying experience yet. Had it independently checked by a good mechanic. Runs like a top.

atlfootr
01-04-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm on Part 3 :rolleyes:
Part 4 and 5 were informatiive, now on 6

atlfootr
01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Now 7 ....

Ric
01-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm going to have to read that. BrianM may remember some lively car dealer discussions we had back when this board was thriving... I've not met a dealer or salesman yet (post or present) who'd tell what the real "cost" of a unit is to the dealership. It's fun to talk about, even if it is useless information.

tommcat
01-05-2008, 02:39 PM
i hate them

h2oskifreak
01-05-2008, 03:16 PM
If you are in good w/ one they arn't bad. I have a buddy that has been in the business for 20 yrs+ and he got me my 2007 Camry SE V-6 in March of 06. I got one of the 1st to come into the country and I have had the current model year for almost 2 years. Oh, by the way, also a screaming deal. I also bought many used cars for the ex., sight unseen from him. If he says it's the shizzle, it always is. Always who you know, not what with car buying.

Ric
01-05-2008, 03:33 PM
well ok freak, what would you say the deal is that you are getting? 20% off sticker? more? less? roughly..

TMCNo1
01-05-2008, 03:33 PM
I read the whole thing. Man, does that bring back memmories!
8 months at a Buick/BMW dealership, that was a trip!

h2oskifreak
01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
The car I bought was a high demand unit, just coming to the market. About 10-12% off sticker. I think he might have been able to do a little better but, demand was very high at the point I bought and I didn't pressure my friend as I didn't want him to get in trouble w/ mgmt. I am on my 7th car from this guy and always get treated more than fair, so I wasn't about to put him in an awkward position.

atlfootr
01-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm going to have to read that.
BrianM may remember some lively car dealer discussions we had back when this board was thriving...You mean to tell me and all the others, that this board's :noface: thriving :rolleyes:
And here all along, I was think'n this is the :cool: place to hangout and been seen on the Internet 8p

Leroy
01-05-2008, 11:23 PM
I think the real price is very fluid depending on incentives, rebates, volume, etc.

I'm going to have to read that. BrianM may remember some lively car dealer discussions we had back when this board was thriving... I've not met a dealer or salesman yet (post or present) who'd tell what the real "cost" of a unit is to the dealership. It's fun to talk about, even if it is useless information.