PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water....how big of a concern is it

bridomine99
01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I am looking at a boat (online only so far) that was "used both in fresh water and in some rivers that are a mix". The boat is a 01 prostar 190.

How concerned about the salt water usage should I be. Obviously I have no way of knowing whether the owner truly flushed it every time out right away.

Thanks

east tx skier
01-02-2008, 05:36 PM
The trailer can be a pretty good indicator of frequency of salt use and extent of care afterwards.

Maristar210
01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Simply put. Very concerned. Look for tell tale signs of corrosion on and around the motor... If you see lots of rust, I'd pass

Muttley
01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Be pretty concerned. You can usually tell right away just by looking. If the top of the motor and the manifolds are rusty, that would be a deal breaker.

Brackish (mix) water isn't so bad. If the hours are low and it runs good it could be a good deal. However, given the choice between one that's been in the salt and one that hasn't, I would definately be on a salt free diet.

Jerseydave
01-02-2008, 05:41 PM
After 6 years of any saltwater use, the manifolds/risers may need to be replaced. Your in the midwest, should be some good freshwater boat deals around, right?

cbryan70
01-02-2008, 06:34 PM
we are in the midwest...used boats seem to go for a premium around here

Bruce
01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
In this part of the world we don't get as up tight. Sooner or later most of us around here will at least be in brackish. I have a next door neighbor who has kept his shrimp boat in salt water fro 20 year. I ran my outboard in salt water for about 15 years. I tried to always flush it afterwards. Did I ? Absolutely not. I am human. Bottom line no problem. Is salt water harmful. Yep. Common sense . However degree of damage and length of time it takes is open for a lot of debate. I flush mine with Salt A Way which I am told works great. The way I look at it my grand kids will have to worry as to whether there is any problem.
Bottom line: if it is the boat you want, and the price is right, go for it.

6ballsisall
01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I would proceed with caution if I was in your shoes. If it's priced right, appears to be well cared for by a responsible owner than I'd go for a face to face visit of the boat including a thorough test ride and mechanical review. At the least you can anticipate some trailer issues (unless it's on a galvanized trailer.) Make sure it's priced right in case you have some work to do on it.

atlfootr
01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Whatever kind of "deal" this guy offers, remember there's a better one jus' down the road.

bridomine99
01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure what to think now. The dealer stated the boat was used in fresh and brackish water. It has 250 hrs and being that it is 1150 miles away in MD a test drive is not an easy option. The trailer is galvanized so I don't get any indicators there. I'll attach a picture of the engine.....looks like a some rust showing on the manifolds as was mentioned above. Otherwise it looks to be in good shape. They are asking $23,500 which is above the book of 20k, but it looks to be a nice boat.

Anyone want to upgrade and sell me there '01 (pivot hitch is a necessity)??

oldriver
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
my 0.02 cents.I looked and drove a few thousand miles,saw several before I found mine.There is always another boat.Drove and most important skied them before i decided on the one I got.Look at the marketplace,onlyinboards,boattrader,Craigs list.Make a wish list of what options you need and would like, it makes it easier to compare the boats.I ended up with a 10 year old boat with 75 hours on it,so its like a new boat to me.Besides all that, its fun to look.I wish you the best in your search

Leroy
01-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I would bet between now and when you can use it you can find something much closer and a better deal. THis one does look nice.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure what to think now. The dealer stated the boat was used in fresh and brackish water. It has 250 hrs and being that it is 1150 miles away in MD a test drive is not an easy option. The trailer is galvanized so I don't get any indicators there. I'll attach a picture of the engine.....looks like a some rust showing on the manifolds as was mentioned above. Otherwise it looks to be in good shape. They are asking $23,500 which is above the book of 20k, but it looks to be a nice boat.

east tx skier
01-02-2008, 11:21 PM

You can always add a pivot hitch. Rust on the manifolds is just about a standard feature on most boats unless they've been treated with something other than paint. Manifolds get hot, the paint flakes off, and some surface rust develops. Look where the riser hits the manifold. But don't let a little surface rust scare you. It's the really excessive corrosion that you're concerned with.

Agree, there's always another deal though. But that's a pretty boat.

Leroy
01-03-2008, 02:06 AM
Agree Doug, I think my 2000 has more rust than that one and NEVER been in salt or brackish water.

Rust on the manifolds is just about a standard feature on most boats unless they've been treated with something other than paint. Manifolds get hot, the paint flakes off, and some surface rust develops. Look where the riser hits the manifold. But don't let a little surface rust scare you. It's the really excessive corrosion that you're concerned with.

T Scott
01-03-2008, 07:39 AM
lOOKS LIKE THE BOAT "DATDUDE" WAS SELLING A FEW MONTHS AGO.