PDA

View Full Version : HELP Winterization in Houston Texas

Bigheadtod
01-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I am curious of the tempature it needs to get down to and if it needs to do this for days in a row to freeze the engine and the ballast tanks of my 2007 45. I has not froze all year but tonight is is getting down to like 24 degrees for one night, I have not winterized because I am out on the lake still and plan to be in the coming months. My boat has been in the shop until this last friday and because I keep my boat at a marina that is 5 miles from where my trailer stays, I have to drive it in the water to get back to the marina, if I winterized I would have had to get towed across the lake. I cannot get a straight answer due to liability issues at the dealer. Can someone please let me know if I will be okay or should I get an engine compartment heater for this one night, the next 10 days after look fine. Thanks.

east tx skier
01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
You might get away with it with the block, but I'm not so sure about the tanks, lines, and water pump.

I'd drain it if it was my boat. I may have missed something, but is it on a lift? If so, why couldn't you just go over there and drain it?

Bigheadtod
01-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I just got back in town and it is 2 hours from my house, I just got the boat this summer, do not know how to drain, it is simple? can you explain it out would an enginecompartment heater be easier to solve all issues except ballast? yes it is on a lift.

east tx skier
01-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Didn't it get down into the 20s last night in Houston? Anyway, yes, draining is pretty simple as far as the block goes. I don't have ballast, a heater, or a shower, but from what I've read, they may require flushing of one sort or another clear the lines. I could be wrong on that.

As for draining, there are two plugs on either side of the engine block. There are two other plugs on the back of the manifold risers (these may be connected to one another by a long hose with a quick disconnect in the middle). To drain, just unscrew these four plugs and remove the raw water hoses at their low points (that is, either side of the transmission cooler, two on the water pump, lower end of the j-tube, and both hoses where they connect to the exhaust manifolds). Then, pull the kill switch and spin the impeller over for a few seconds to clear the pump housing.

On the other hand, I know some people who will wrap their engine with Christmas lights or use low watt light bulbs, heaters, etc. and come out fine. I don't know how well this localized approach works for ballast lines, etc. I just prefer draining to remove all doubt.

Where is the boat exactly? If it's close enough to BrianM, he might be persuaded to drain it for you. :)

Bigheadtod
01-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Walden Marina on Lake conroe

east tx skier
01-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Walden Marina on Lake conroe

A little too far for me. Had you said Sam Rayburn, I might have made a rescue mission. PM sent your way.

Raveryt
01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Here in College Station when we get one of these short lived cold snaps. I set our boat lift down where the bottom of the boat is in the water but the boat is high enough so the wind will not blow it off the lift. Yesterday when we skied the water temp was 51. The boat will absorb the heat from the water and keep the engine from freezing.

Just a thought. I do not do this for more than a day or two. And if you have any doubt go ahead and drain it.

Bigheadtod
01-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks,

I spoke to a couple of guys out at the Marina and it is supposed to be sub freezing for maybe 6-7 hours, they said it should be fine. I understand if it was to be this cold for a few days I should winterize or at least drop it into the water. Thanks for all of your help.

tex
01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Bigheadtodd-How are the Monsters these days? Lake Conroe...That place is a swimming pool!

TX.X-30 fan
01-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Bigheadtodd-How are the Monsters these days? Lake Conroe...That place is a swimming pool!

Biggest air I ever got on a waverunner was there, with very few boats on the lake. A swimming pool with 4' coping!! There is some nice scenery on lake conroe. ;)

JoshBuzz
01-03-2008, 04:10 AM
Mike, you know as well as I do, Conroe sucks as always!! None the less, I'm riding on it on Monday!!

:S