PDA

View Full Version : Packing nut access plate?

thijs
01-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I noticed on a buddies CC that there was a little access hole in the floor behind the engine cover and ahead of the rear seat which unscrews open to give access to their packing nut.

Our 94 PS 205 requires you to remove the floor which is screwed in (not pressure fit) and thus we have never actually calculated our drip rate.

I was considering buying a access plate and installing it, anyone done this? What is the rear floor panel built of? The botton layer is sheet metal, but what about the core and the top layer?

TMCNo1
01-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I did it several years ago with a snap-in access plate from West Marine. No more seat, back panel, motor cover, and floor removal to tighten the stuffing box. A great investment! In our case it did not weaken the floor any, IIRC, 11" dia. hole was required.

thijs
01-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I did it several years ago with a snap-in access plate from West Marine.

What did you use to cut the floor? I don't want to tear it up at all. I think that if I pre cut the carpet and jigsaw the flooring I might get a good cut.

G-man
01-01-2008, 11:09 PM
I can't figure out why MC hasn't picked up on this either, it has been standard in that other brand a long time.

east tx skier
01-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Very convenient. Had I kept my boat another season, I'd have added one.

thijs
01-01-2008, 11:53 PM
I found a few on ebay. I think it is definately going to be a pre-season project. We have the floor out this winter already as we had to reinforce the engine cover hinges. (The screws were pulling through). I have found a few on ebay. I can't find anything larger than a 8" hole, what do you all think? Large enough?

There was a stainless polised one but it was only 6" and twice the price!! :)

east tx skier
01-02-2008, 12:14 AM
I found a few on ebay. I think it is definately going to be a pre-season project. We have the floor out this winter already as we had to reinforce the engine cover hinges. (The screws were pulling through). I have found a few on ebay. I can't find anything larger than a 8" hole, what do you all think? Large enough?

There was a stainless polised one but it was only 6" and twice the price!! :)

I'd go for the plastic. That stainless steel will get pretty hot in the sun.

dmayer84
01-02-2008, 12:15 AM
I need to look at the one on my x10 this year, its not going to be fun. :cool:

thijs
01-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Anyone have pictures of the drive train on any Vdrives? I just thought about that, probably pretty tight to get the the packing nut!?

TMCNo1
01-02-2008, 12:25 PM
What did you use to cut the floor? I don't want to tear it up at all. I think that if I pre cut the carpet and jigsaw the flooring I might get a good cut.

I took the floor panel out, measured the center of the stuffing box (front to back) based off the floor screw hole, measured the centerline of the drivetrain (side to side), found the center, used a big compass and marked the hole on the underside of the floor, drilled a 1/2" hole on the inside edge of the big hole mark and cut it out with a gigsaw, then cleaned up the hole edge and carpet. I screwed the flange to the floor panel, replaced the floor panel, gas tank cover panel, motor cover, rear seat, snapped in the access hole cover plate and installed a MC decal.

jsc0324
01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Why not convert to an OJ dripless shaft seal? I did it myself, not a big deal and no harder than all the stuff you are planning to do above. The hardest part was pulling the shaft from the coupler. I needed a puller to make that happen.

On the flip side, the solutions above do look cool!!

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ2011