PDA

View Full Version : X-45 or X-Star?

CHaus21
01-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Looking for people's honest opinions and first hand experience with the two boats. I've spent a lot of time researching (especially past threads on this board) and I am still torn between the two boats.

Price/Equipment:
I have the two following choices -

07 X-Star - MCX, all options
07 X-45 - 450 hp, all options, only about $5,000 more than X-Star

Needs:
I don't really need the extra space on the X-45. Typically only go out with 6-8 people on the boat on a weekend. However, it would of course be nice to have the extra room.

Wake:
I've read several people posting about trouble dialing in the X-45 wake for wakeboarding and surfing, which is what we primarily do. That concerns me a little bit. X-Star wake is always solid.

Practicality:
This is where I'm a little torn. It seems like a heck of a deal to pay only $5k extra for the X-45, but is it practical? Seems like one heck of a huge boat to deal with (towing, cleaning, storing, docking, driving). Since I don't really "need" the extra room, the X-Star seems much more practical.

Driveability:
This goes along with practicality also. I've read that the X-45 doesn't handle nearly as well as the X-Star. What are your thoughts from people who have driven both? I will be using the boat primarily on inland lakes in the Southeast, so dealing with huge chop isn't going to be an issue.

Bottom line, it seems like too good of a deal to pass up to pay only $5k more for a nice big boat like the X-45. I'm just torn whether its practical, or whether the X-Star would be a better fit.

Happy New Year to all and thanks for any input anyone may have!

thijs
01-01-2008, 12:50 PM
I have no experience on either, but considering that space is really only a want, and you are going to be worried about dialling wakes, why not save the money and fuel and go for the xStar.

If you are looking to burn 5 grand I have tuition due ;)

CHaus21
01-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Ha ha, no definitely not looking to burn an extra 5k, but it seems like a better value for the money to have that much more of a boat for the additional money.

Anyone have any thoughts on re-sale? Wonder what boat has the better residual?

yippikaiyay
01-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I have no experience on either, but considering that space is really only a want, and you are going to be worried about dialling wakes, why not save the money and fuel and go for the xStar.

If you are looking to burn 5 grand I have tuition due ;)

Yeah, I agree. If w'boarding is a big part of your time on the water, the X Star I think would be the priority.

yippikaiyay
01-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Ha ha, no definitely not looking to burn an extra 5k, but it seems like a better value for the money to have that much more of a boat for the additional money.

Anyone have any thoughts on re-sale? Wonder what boat has the better residual?

I don't have any hard data for you with regard to resale of a boat the size of the X45, but I would think the demand for the X45, would be substantially lower than the flagship wakeboard model when the time comes to trade/sell.

CHaus21
01-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Yea, I would assume the X Star would be better for resale just due to the practicality of it. There are likely more buyers for the X Star than there would be for the X 45.

CHaus21
01-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Yea, I would assume the X Star would be better for resale just due to the practicality of it. There are likely more buyers for the X Star than there would be for the X 45.

CHaus21
01-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I agree. If w'boarding is a big part of your time on the water, the X Star I think would be the priority.

Yea, that was my thought also. Then again, I'm no Rusty on a wakeboard. I'm about intermediate - But if it really is a pain to dial in X-45 wake then it sounds like that is my answer.

X-45 owners - Is getting the wake figured out really an issue wakeboarding?

03 35th Anniversary
01-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Surfing you can't beat an X-45 with a butt load of people. I got a friend that has an 07 and it is great tons of room.

But the X-Star is your wakeboard boat, the X-45 has really wide wake.

If you can stand the cold get out there and ride behind both of them then make a chioce.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-01-2008, 03:51 PM
xstar all the way for me. in fairness, the 450 hp is a $5K adder in itself. i own an 05 xstar with mcx and am trading it for an 08 with L18. i don't need the L18 but i wanted to avoid the issues with the LY6 on overheating if there is a heater. my mcx with 14.25 X 14 prop is a wonderfull boat that only consumes 5.3 gallons per hour and will still pull a rider up with 4000 lb of ballast (as per travis moye). reselling an x45 will be tougher than reselling an xstar. i do know that the xstar is not a great surf boat. it is medium at best. i don't know how the X45 surfs but my friends x30 will out surf my xstar. just a function of the hull design. good luck, but go with the xstar if you are a wakeboarder first and everything else second. oh yeah, what color schemes are the two boats? let us know what you do, you will be happy either way i believe. hotty toddy.

FoggyNogginz
01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I have the Xstar and love it. The wake, manueverability, trailering, and size of the boat is puh-lenty for me and nine of my closest "friends" on the lake. Admittedly, the X45 is nice for surfing, but the XStars are in higher demand for resale and are better "all around" boats in my humble opinion. And even at 190 lbs I can surf just fine for hours behind my Xstar with just me and my son in the boat.

Good luck,

KC

FoggyNogginz
01-01-2008, 06:05 PM
P.S. $5000 is currently ~1538 gallons of gas at my dock, which equates to about 27 tanks of gas on the Xstar's 57 gallon tank. On the other hand, the tank on the X45 is a whopping 90 gallons..and I'll bet that there is a reason for this. Just someting to consider.

KC

JohnE
01-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't consider the X45 on the basis that it is a really good deal. For what you will be spending, make sure it is exactly what you want.

Jerseydave
01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Love my '05 X-star/MCX

Perfect for our size river, ramp gets tough at low tide so a bigger boat would be more of a problem. I suppose if I ran bigger waters, I would lean more toward the X-45.

Towing, better have a decent truck for the X-45. 1/2 ton trucks handle the X-star without problems.

Resale.......X-star gets my vote. It's the most sought-after wake boat.......period!

Either way, we need to see pics when the deal is done! :)

Carbon Dreams
01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
X-Star is a great boat. Probably the best wakeboard specific boat out there. I found the X-Star very small inside for its total length. The X-2 seemed roomier. We opted for the X-45 for size and family reasons. As it turns out the X-45 has a great wakeboarding wake that is easy to dial in. Simply fill the rear on-board ballast tanks and the KGB Tank, that's it. The wakeplate is adjustable any time you want to change the wake shape. The surfing wake is pretty good too. I have to weight the heck out of it to get the same size wake as my old 'bu. That is due to the larger displacement of the X-45 hull. Bigger boat = More Weight.

If all you do is wakeboard, have aspirations of turning pro, and size doesn't matter then buy the X-Star.

If you want the best all-around family boat that has a great wake, then buy the X-45.

my .02

rick s.
01-02-2008, 06:28 PM
my .02

both boats are similar in size and in weight, so if your vehicle can pull one, it can pull the other. Understand that from trailer hitch to the end of the platform the x45 is 30 feet long!

I have an x45 with the mcx. It's a wonderful family boat that we use for wakeboarding and wakesurfing and hanging out. It's plenty fast for us, and it pulls like crazy. When we go out with our crowd of fellow boaters, everyone wants to come with us. Plenty of storage space for all kinds of goodies.

GreenSpirit Hydro
01-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I tested both boats and went w/ the 07 X-star. The x-45 was more of a tank and was more boat than I think I will ever really need (or want to fill up w/ gas). I am glad I bought the x-star and never looked backed. The x-45 is so big it should be part of a Coast Guard fleet rather than someone wanting to rip the wakes!

endl
01-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I have an X-45 with the MCX, but drove X-Stars also when I was buying boats. I bought the X-45 only because I got what I considered a great deal, and at the time could not find any great deals on a X-Star. I would trade my X-45 for a X-Star and dont think I would miss the space that bad. 450hp would be the ultimate of course and I would pay the 5k in a second but was not an option for me as I bought used.

Wake is not a problem to dial in with the adjustment plate but depending on how much ballast, number of people ect wake does change and you do have to make adjustments. Also wake is Wide!!! Not easy to go wake to wake.

Surfing can be awesome, but also depends on ballast and amount of people in the boat and needs to be adjusted.

I typically dont have many people in my boat but if you carry 6-8 people and gear/cooler ect then you may really like the X-45. You would probably benefit from the extra 2 feet. You have a recessed cooler under the side seat plus the front cooler in the bow. Thats huge space saving not having a cooler in the floor of a boat. Also having the walk through section on the rear of the boat is nice to keep people from climbing around on the back of the boat. I would say the rest of the storage is comparable. Gas tanks are Gas tanks does not matter the size you dont have to fill them up and I dont know anyone who goes through 60 gallons in a day.

I would agree an X-Star is more marketable than the X-45.

I think if you are a Beginner or Intermediate wakeboarder, wakesurfer the X-45 will meet your needs and you wont be sorry about the wake after you learn how to massage it. Wakesurfing its one of the best boats you can get behind.

CHaus21
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks to all for your honest opinions and posts. I am leaning towards the X Star and hope to have something worked out soon. Stay tuned. And of course there will be pics posted!

ridehype4life
01-03-2008, 09:52 PM
The X Star is world class in wake. There are bigger boats out there, but no better boat for that purpose.