PDA

View Full Version : Rust under bunk boards

kjohnson
12-31-2007, 02:11 PM
A few days ago someone was talking about finding a lot of rust on top of the trailer when he removed the bunk boards, to replace them. Was it just surface rust or did you have section loss? Was there a lot of rust or just at the bolt holes. How old is your trailer? I am having my fenders redone. I don't especially want to get into touch up painting and rust removal on the trailer unless I have to. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

east tx skier
12-31-2007, 03:35 PM
This was years ago on a 10 year old trailer, but all of my angle iron supports had a great deal of surface rust on them. We ground them down, primed, and painted. There was plenty of usable material left. However, for the future, we added additional angle irons so that when one side went, we could use the other. So instead of an inverted L support, I had Ts. I only bolted into the original though.

kjohnson
12-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Do you think I need to worry about rust under the bunks? The trailer is 17 years old (1991).

east tx skier
12-31-2007, 07:43 PM
I'd take care of it if it was my trailer. Pull the bunks off, grind it, prime it, paint it. Nice little afternoon project. The T supports was probably overkill.

TMCNo1
12-31-2007, 08:13 PM
I have a question, is your trailer "C" channel (up to 1990) or a tube trailer (1991 to today). IIRC, in 1991 MC went to a wider hull and also went to the tube trailer with verticle flat brackets for mounting "L" brackets bolted to the bunks as they are today.
The "C" channel trailer had the bunks bolted directly to the minimally primed and painted unprepared steel channels and the treated wood bunks sat on the rail and they would rust uncontrolably.
Now, where is your rust on your 1991 trailer, at or near the bunks?

I have the "C" channel trailer ('89) and in 1997 (9 years old), I redid the trailer and found rust under the bunks on the rails. After sandblasting, the top of the rails that made contact with the bunks were covered with Bondo and sanded and Urethane primer was applied before the Urethane enamel. I applied 2 layers of carpet with glue and staples away from the trailer rails and now allow the trailer bunks to drain thoroughly before I place it in the basement. 10 years has passed since the redo and no rust is evident.

kjohnson
12-31-2007, 09:38 PM
I have the channel trailer, not the tubular. I have rust on top of the channel, under the top of thr channel and on the top of the bottom of the channel.

kjohnson
12-31-2007, 09:43 PM
I wish I had the tubular trailer.