PDA

View Full Version : Mastercrafts slow?

cbryan70
12-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Ok so looking at all the reviews mastercraft is only hitting 44mph? bu and cc are all right at 50? Why is mastercraft so slow with the speed?

h2oskifreak
12-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Why do you need any more top end? Even if you barefoot 44 is enough.
More top end means less out of the hole (prop pitch). Unless you need to hurry to the next pass in the course, I don't get it. M.C's arn't bass boats after all.

cbryan70
12-29-2007, 08:01 PM
one prop i remember was a 13x13. Im just curious as to why they are slower.

damaged442
12-29-2007, 08:03 PM
What are their 0-36 mph times? My guess is the other two should be a bit slower out of the hole.

TMCNo1
12-29-2007, 08:05 PM
If you need speed, go get a CC and put your mind to rest!

cbryan70
12-29-2007, 08:10 PM
What are their 0-36 mph times? My guess is the other two should be a bit slower out of the hole.

cc 0-36 5.9 top speed 50
mc 0-36 6.7 top speed 44
bu 0-36 5.6 top speed 49.5

ski_king
12-29-2007, 08:14 PM
I assume you are reading the the WaterSki 2008 Boat Guide.

The MC 197 had the 350 HP MCX
The CC 196 had the 375 HP
The BU had the 400 HP

The MC 197 weights 2800
The CC 196 weights 2640

I remember somebody on here that had the 400HP option stating his boat would go 50.....

6ballsisall
12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
IIRC wetted surface played a big role in the slower speed of the 197 vs. the competitions boats.

BrianM
12-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Yep, the MCs are the slow boat of the bunch. Slower to 36mph with a slower top end. As said above most likely due to increased wetted surface and added overall weight.

TX.X-30 fan
12-29-2007, 11:14 PM
I personally don't need 50mph or 0 to 36 in 4.6sec. Love the way my boat smoothly gets to 20-22 and when cruising runs 35-40 comfortably. I enjoy the fact that I have an extremely well built floating fun machine!!!!!! CC's and BU's might be nice boats but are not MC's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

east tx skier
12-30-2007, 12:28 AM
I believe the CCs have a little hp bump this year with the new ECM.

JohnE
12-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Who the F is going 50 in their dd boats? And how is that a benefit?

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-30-2007, 05:40 AM
there is only one reason why i can pull 8 tubers behind my boat and that is because it is a mastercraft

G-man
12-30-2007, 08:47 AM
If you need speed, go get a CC and put your mind to rest!

I have you to blame, Happy New year

kev88
12-30-2007, 08:54 AM
You know it's funny the first thing that someone usually asks me when first riding in my boat is "how fast will it go" and it's typically someone that doesn't know much about boats......

learjet2230
12-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Here is what I say when people aske me......Yea I know it only does 43mph, but it will pull a Mack truck on plane at that speed!.......If they keep yacking, then offer to take your slow boat and proceed to rip their arms off and drag their limbs across the lake at a slow 43 mph. The best is when someone big (200#+) that is boat stupid thinks that your slow boat wont get them up on slalom. Their mistake. Nothing like watching a loud mouth flip out of the water!!!!.............
45mph to 50mph is pretty much nothing. If the water is not smooth then chances are you wont be going much over 35 anyway. If it is real choppy then maybe 20-23 or stay at home because you will get the crap kicked outta ya. Chow!

TMCNo1
12-30-2007, 11:31 AM
I have you to blame, Happy New year

Happy New Year to you and yours my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

TMCNo1
12-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Here is what I say when people aske me......Yea I know it only does 43mph, but it will pull a Mack truck on plane at that speed!.......If they keep yacking, then offer to take your slow boat and proceed to rip their arms off and drag their limbs across the lake at a slow 43 mph. The best is when someone big (200#+) that is boat stupid thinks that your slow boat wont get them up on slalom. Their mistake. Nothing like watching a loud mouth flip out of the water!!!!.............
45mph to 50mph is pretty much nothing. If the water is not smooth then chances are you wont be going much over 35 anyway. If it is real choppy then maybe 20-23 or stay at home because you will get the crap kicked outta ya. Chow!

I agree, but I usually tell them it will pull a house of it's foundation!:rolleyes:

learjet2230
12-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Pretty much same concept! Whatever it takes to get it into their thick skull. If they still wont shut up pull them skiing while it is raining at the requested "slow" speed of 45. Just another technique. I'm evil arent I!!

TMCNo1
12-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Pretty much same concept! Whatever it takes to get it into their thick skull. If they still wont shut up pull them skiing while it is raining at the requested "slow" speed of 45. Just another technique. I'm evil arent I!!

Not evil, just trying to get a message across!

Leroy
12-30-2007, 01:41 PM
It is a spec that really means nothing, like comparing top end speed of Honda accord 100MPH to Toyota camry 120MPH and saying Toyota is better since it will go 20MPH faster WOT.

PS, I made those numbers up.

thijs
12-30-2007, 01:45 PM
I have often myself compared our boat more to a tug boat than a race boat. Although I have often dreamt of having 2 MC's. First one for skiing. The second looking stock, but pushing 7-800hp and a two speed transmission. (Just for fun) I wonder how it would handle?

cbryan70
12-30-2007, 01:58 PM
just ask 03 hes pushing some high hp. These boats getting much above 50 going towards 60 get pretty shaky

yippikaiyay
12-30-2007, 02:02 PM
44 mph is more than I need now, personally would never spec a boat to go any faster.

east tx skier
12-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Apart from footing, the top speed makes little difference. Acceleration, on the other hand, is something that is important for a direct drive's AWSA certification, and thus, is probably something some buyers are interested in knowing. I'm not sure what the time/distance requirement is at this point or if it has changed since the catalytic converters are starting to be slapped on the engines in the past few years.

If I recall correctly, my old 205 could get to 36 in just a hair over 6 seconds.

ChrisConn Inc.
12-30-2007, 03:28 PM
I have a 21' custom boat that goes over 65mph. When I bought the X45, I knew I would give up speed and hanhling for comfort. The handling of the X45 is not as tight and it goes about 42-45mph depending on conditions. Over the years with the custom I rarely went above 50 and most of the time it was around 30-35. I think that most people who ask about speed are looking for a different type of boat. MC's are made for people interested in water-sports. Yes, the Custom was great before I had kids, but the MC is what the family will grow into.

People who has asked me how fast my Custom is were not impressed with 65mph, most people who don't have a boat always compare the speed of a boat to a car. Plus, I was tired of hearing from my wife "Why do you have to go so fast". :)

skeeler
12-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Reminds me of a good story. When I sold my last boat, '07 X-2, the guy naturally wanted to take it out on the water for a test drive. So we hope in an idle out. After a few minutes of cruising around he just hammers it down and tops it out for a few seconds, then drops it back with a quick yank. Turns around to me and says, "Have you ever notice before how the boat gets a little squirrelly over 35 mph?" And I replied, "Never noticed before, since I have never had the boat over 25mph. Any particular reason why you need to go over 35 mph?" He says, "No, I just want to know I can if I need to." ***? :D

CottagerGreg
12-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Now that's a good reason... MC's are meant for cruisin/ridin, if you wanted to fly across the water doing 70 mph dancing with the boat trimmed out so that only the motor is in the water... hmm try getting a sleekcraft tunnel hull with a 225 on the back or try a J-Craft with a 2.5ltr merc on the back.

rodltg2
12-30-2007, 08:15 PM
true the mc is the slowest of the three ive experienced first hand, but it really doesnt make much a difference . however im not sure if its related or not but mc's seem to suck up the gas a bit more.
i wouldnt put too much credibilty on the boat buyers guide reports. there are alot of errors. one for example the Zr6 PCM motor is no longer 375 its 390hp. also take a look at the centurion enzo DD. the boat tested is a direct drive and the boat pictured on the right is vdrive?? Ws mag needs to pay more attention to what they are printing in these guides.

east tx skier
12-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Reminds me of a good story. When I sold my last boat, '07 X-2, the guy naturally wanted to take it out on the water for a test drive. So we hope in an idle out. After a few minutes of cruising around he just hammers it down and tops it out for a few seconds, then drops it back with a quick yank. Turns around to me and says, "Have you ever notice before how the boat gets a little squirrelly over 35 mph?" And I replied, "Never noticed before, since I have never had the boat over 25mph. Any particular reason why you need to go over 35 mph?" He says, "No, I just want to know I can if I need to." ***? :D

I go wide open during test drives, too. If it doesn't perform how it's supposed to on paper that day, it might not make it to 36 a month or a year later. I did tell the guy what I was going to do before hand and he directed me to some smooth water.

thijs
12-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Been 75MPH in a cat hull before. I had to buy new shorts when the hull lifted with a head wind gust. I'll stick to the tug.

6ballsisall
12-30-2007, 11:42 PM
We did low 60's in Rockman's BF200 and she seemed pretty solid to me! I've driven a Baja at 85'ish in chop and felt the need to check my shorts afterwards.

Chicago190
12-31-2007, 12:07 AM
I'll take the low 40s my MC can do compared to the mid 50s i could do in my old I/O when I'm pulling anyone.

Not a knock on MCs at all, but why is the CC doing 50 w/o a huge HP difference and not a big weight difference? Its tracking and wakes are on par with MC (arguably better) and still has better acceleration?

east tx skier
12-31-2007, 12:48 AM
I'll take the low 40s my MC can do compared to the mid 50s i could do in my old I/O when I'm pulling anyone.

Not a knock on MCs at all, but why is the CC doing 50 w/o a huge HP difference and not a big weight difference? Its tracking and wakes are on par with MC (arguably better) and still has better acceleration?

Presumably, it's the hook in the MC hull that causes additional drag that reduces top end and acceleration as well as reducing fuel economy. Does good things for the wake though.

I haven't gotten my BBG yet, but did the MC in the BBG test have gear reduction?

Chas
12-31-2007, 01:49 AM
Now I'm curious about what my old S&S will do. I have the 1:1, with a fresh 351 (GT40 heads and a large four-barrel carb) and I think my mufflers have blown clean through, unless they were always that loud...

Hurt my back in Sept and haven't been able to take the thing out even once yet.

I might add that I hurt my back bouncing my other boat off three waves in a row at a mere 40 MPH.

I don't feel the need for speed as much as I like a good pull off the line.

Chas
12-31-2007, 01:50 AM
Now I'm curious about what my old S&S will do. I have the 1:1, with a fresh 351 (GT40 heads and a large four-barrel carb) and I think my mufflers have blown clean through, unless they were always that loud...

Hurt my back in Sept and haven't been able to take the thing out even once yet.

I might add that I hurt my back bouncing my other boat off three waves in a row at a mere 40 MPH.

I don't feel the need for speed as much as I like a good pull off the line.

Chas
12-31-2007, 01:51 AM
Wow- I did NOT push the button that many times, I promise!

Andyg
12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
If your using this boat for purely slalom skiing I would agree who needs a ski boat that does 50mph. I however need a ski boat that goes almost 50mph. I pull a lot of multiple barefoot lines and need that top end for it. My 2003 197 was pegged at 42.5 mph with the MCX and a 1:1 tranny. My 2007 pegged at 48.5 with the LY6 and gear reduction tranny. My 2008 with the LY6 is about 48 mph, but I only have 10 hrs on it.

When we would pull one barefooter with my 2003 we were barefooting at 39-40mph. Which would be fine if you weigh 175 lbs. But fat arses like me and my friends need the extra top end to be a little more comfortable, I am the runt of the group and weigh in probably agout 220 with my barefoot suit on. My other buddies that barefoot with me all the time weigh from 220-240 lbs. The water gets awfully soft when you have two big guys back there. Now with the LY6 we are barefooting at 45 mph with two guys back there. That is definetly the speed we like to foot at.

Not to mention the hole shot is ridiculous with this thing (LY6) for doing those deep water barefoot starts. With the 2003 with the MCX you had to ride on your rear for what seemed like an eternity. Now once you are out of the water and on plane you can just about stand up.

cbryan70
12-31-2007, 10:42 AM
my ss does 40 at 4200 rpms. shes old and i like to keep her in the 30's to be safe. at 4200 rpms it is the loudest ski boat on the water!

h2oskifreak
12-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Same here my 75 S & S goes 40 M.P.H. a little too much from a tracking and wear stand point. I'll stick to 34-36 M.P.H. through the boat guides, thank you. I have another boat that will go over 60 MPH, but she is much bigger, safer and has a 496 c.i. in her.

skisix@38
01-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Top end speed matters little to the niche group of peeps that buy a tournement ski boat. What matter is the acceleration and the MC being slow as it is makes a difference to the lakes that it can provide a godd pull. If the set up if short on a lake the boat is still acclerating to get to the set speed and then slowly down somewhere in there while the skiers are trying to ski well and counting on a boat that's going a constant speed. This is true for the high HP malibu too, the monsoon provides a better holeshot.

3event
01-02-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm a slalomer and footer, it matters to me. Don't want to have to use WOT for 1foots and such. Want to have a few mph in reserve. It's a lot of money to spend and not have quite enough. Definitely will be a factor on my next purchase. If I were to be cantankerous, I would say that MC would need a next gen hull with more lift before I would trade for new.

The 02 '197 (no hook on the hull) gets it done for me now, so it would be a hard sell to get me trading up!

6ballsisall
01-02-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm a slalomer and footer, it matters to me. Don't want to have to use WOT for 1foots and such. Want to have a few mph in reserve. It's a lot of money to spend and not have quite enough. Definitely will be a factor on my next purchase. If I were to be cantankerous, I would say that MC would need a next gen hull with more lift before I would trade for new.

The 02 '197 (no hook on the hull) gets it done for me now, so it would be a hard sell to get me trading up!

The LY6 would fit the bill perfectly for you! Have 1st hand experience to prove that!
I agree with you though, my X7 w/ MCX and 1:1 was a bit doggy for that much HP I thought.

viabill
01-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I haven't experienced any slowness in my MC. It's an '89 Barefoot 190 with the 454/425 hp and it will pull any footer at 50. I don't even know how fast it'll go because it tops out the speedo at 50 at 4200 RPMs, and the redline is 5300 RPM. I always back off before I hit 4500 RPM because it is a bit unnerving to have that monster screaming right behind you. Some guys that have these boats run them up to 5300 regularly, but I want this one to last a long time.

BTW... these inboard ski boats are limited in top end speed because of the weight distribution and the prop angle. With the weight in the middle of the boat and the prop trying to lift the transom out of the water under power, the bow is constantly forced down, causing lots of drag. With enough power, they will porpoise uncontrollably.

learjet2230
01-03-2008, 04:28 PM
BTW... these inboard ski boats are limited in top end speed because of the weight distribution and the prop angle. With the weight in the middle of the boat and the prop trying to lift the transom out of the water under power, the bow is constantly forced down, causing lots of drag. With enough power, they will porpoise uncontrollably.

Perfect explanation! All bout geometry....I know I took it twice in high school!!:)

Ric
01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
I hate the BBG! Now I have to sell my 197 because it's too slow :(

east tx skier
01-03-2008, 05:08 PM
I hate the BBG! Now I have to sell my 197 because it's too slow :(

It's not the boat. It's that swing set you've got mounted to the deck.

Ric
01-03-2008, 05:13 PM
It's not the boat. It's that swing set you've got mounted to the deck. maybe, but I gotta good deal on it

learjet2230
01-03-2008, 05:14 PM
LOL!! Well I guess it depends on what type of "swing" you hang from it!!:)

sdesmond
01-03-2008, 05:21 PM

Perfect explanation! All bout geometry....I know I took it twice in high school!!:)

When I was younger my friend had an older Ski Nautique that was pretty fast from what I remember. It would porpus like crazy at WOT. I remember how horrible it was to ride in it when they did that.

east tx skier
01-03-2008, 05:26 PM
maybe, but I gotta good deal on it

Own to rent as I recall. ;)

TMCNo1
01-03-2008, 07:28 PM
It's not the boat. It's that swing set you've got mounted to the deck.

I was told they were ladder/scaffold racks for vinyl siding installers and house painters??????????:D :rolleyes:

learjet2230
01-03-2008, 08:34 PM
or boat dock/house installers!! Just add a generator and a Lincoln Arc welder and you are set. Could also double as a wood and pipe rack for a trip to Home Depot. You laugh but I could almost go to Home Depot in my boat. What a concept!!! Anyone wanna invest??

Chicago190
01-03-2008, 08:50 PM
or boat dock/house installers!! Just add a generator and a Lincoln Arc welder and you are set. Could also double as a wood and pipe rack for a trip to Home Depot. You laugh but I could almost go to Home Depot in my boat. What a concept!!! Anyone wanna invest??

Nah, you start putting Home Depots on lakes then the next thing you know there are grocery stores and soccer moms on their cell phones cutting you off when you're trying to ski. Its hard enough on the weekends I don't want it all the time.