PDA

View Full Version : Electrical "bug"

learjet2230
12-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Hey all,
New to this website. Just moved to Granbury, TX and "aquired" and 88' PS190. Been working on it for the last two mnths now after an overheat problem. Anyway, I have got some pretty good mechanical apptitude, but there are a few things throwing me for a loop. I have an electrical gremlin that I haven't really sunk my teeth into yet but I figure I would get some ideas first. What I really would like to find is an entire electrical schematic for the boat. I have looked here and have only come across the engine schematic. My problem is when I turn on the blower, all the guages jump. Oil pressure gauge jumps about 10 psi, and so does the eng. temp guage. I suspect a possible bad ground or something grounded in the wrong place. Looking for some suggestions and thoughts.

Nik

tex
12-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Learjet-Welcome-Where are you at in Granbury? Are you on the water? We need more North Texans here?

learjet2230
12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Well heck yea I'm on the water. I'm just up river of the 51 bridge, in what is termed "Stroud Creek". Basically across from Nettie Baccus elementary in the Andrews addition. Familiar?

WTRSK1R
12-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Learjet, welcome. When all the gauges jump, does the voltmeter drop as well? The power to the gauges (and the ignition) runs through the kill switch mounted just below the throttle. Over time, these switches are known for becoming resistive or just plain open. If the boat still runs, your is definately not open, but it may be impacting the amount of voltage available to the instruments. Another issue on the older boats is it seems the main harness is only supplied with a 10 gauge wire which just did not seem large enough on my '92. When I cranked up the music (standard stereo, no power amp or sub-woofer) I could actually watch the volt meter bounce to the base of the music. I checked the voltage at the battery, and it was almost 1.5 volts higher at the battery then at the dash. That is a bit excessive for a 15 foot run. IMHO

Good Luck.

learjet2230
12-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Now that you mention it I think the volt guage does drop a volt or so. So I think you are on to something about a resistance build up somewhere under the dash. I can eliminate the wiring I guess by running a jumper wire and bypassing the 12v input to the kill switch and working my way upstream. Just not looking forward to working under there. Such a pain to access. Plus it is cold down in the boat house!!

tex
12-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Well heck yea I'm on the water. I'm just up river of the 51 bridge, in what is termed "Stroud Creek". Basically across from Nettie Baccus elementary in the Andrews addition. Familiar?
No, but we need to try and hook up this summer!

learjet2230
12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Roger that! If you have ever been to Granbury coming from Weatherford, if you cross the bridge, I live to the right!

tph
12-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey all,
New to this website. Just moved to Granbury, TX and "aquired" and 88' PS190. Been working on it for the last two mnths now after an overheat problem. Anyway, I have got some pretty good mechanical apptitude, but there are a few things throwing me for a loop. I have an electrical gremlin that I haven't really sunk my teeth into yet but I figure I would get some ideas first. What I really would like to find is an entire electrical schematic for the boat. I have looked here and have only come across the engine schematic. My problem is when I turn on the blower, all the guages jump. Oil pressure gauge jumps about 10 psi, and so does the eng. temp guage. I suspect a possible bad ground or something grounded in the wrong place. Looking for some suggestions and thoughts.

Nik

My '89 does the exact same thing. It has a new kill switch so I don't think that's the problem. I've always suspected the ground. I'll be watching this thread.

learjet2230
12-29-2007, 05:01 PM
As soon as I get a warm day I plan to get my meter out and start ringing wires.

BrianS
12-29-2007, 09:11 PM
I've had similar problems with my '93 Prostar. Mine was a combination of both the kill switch and a bad ground. I found the bad ground first, it was on the back of the engine block under a plastic cover. The main ground wire is connected to the block there, mine was quite corroded.

This still didn't fully solve my problem. I finally tested the kill switch and found that I was loosing 1-2 volts at the kill switch.

Hope that helps.

learjet2230
12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
appreciate it. Hope to tackle and find the problem this coming week! I'll let ya'll know.

Aric'sX15
12-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey all,

Nik
hey! a fellow Granburian! where in g-town?

learjet2230
12-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Im in Andrews addition. Do you know where Barking Rocks winery is? Down in that area. I think the part of the lake we are on is termed "Stroud Creek".

learjet2230
12-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Im in Andrews addition. Do you know where Barking Rocks winery is? Down in that area. I think the part of the lake we are on is termed "Stroud Creek".

Aric'sX15
12-30-2007, 07:21 PM
ah. yes. you know where waters edge is?
i absolutely love g-town. its growin tho

learjet2230
12-31-2007, 07:34 AM
no, not familiar with waters edge, sounds familiar though. I grew up here as a kid. Lived in Laguna Tres back in 85. Had an old 81' stars and stripes. What a boat! We looked at a lot of houses. Really liked Timber Cove. Decided to by a house up here instead. I have a long commute to DFW everyday (150 miles round) and that was a rather large deciding factor. I'll be home today and if the WX is as good as it was yesterday, we will definately be taking out the ride for a sunset cruise.
Nik

cwright
12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
I have chased electrical gremlins since buying a 88PS190 two years ago. I have convinced myself it is all related to the daisy chain approach to grounding the gauges. Pull your dash and you will find that the ground wires hop from one gauge to the next and so on and so on. You'll probably also find that your voltmeter (in dash) is inaccurate. After fixing a couple of loose grounds, my major problems seems to be gone, but every so often a switch won't work, then it will. If I had more ambition i would rewire every ground from every guage to a terminal strip that is grounded to the block with heavy guage wire. As you read the electrical threads on this forum, you will come to realize that the culprit is frequently the ground.

Good luck, and get use to your multi-tester. PS: never leave home without it.

rkmason
01-02-2008, 01:18 PM
We were on Lake Granbury for a week about 4 years ago. Stayed in a timeshare condo down at the last bend before the final straightaway down to the dam. Came back with some hull and prop damage from all the underwater stumps on that lake. Be carefull especially up at the Granbury town end if you are not familiar with this lake! After one foray up that way we decided to stay at the dam end of the lake. Seemed to be a lot fewer obstructions down there.

We are in Austin.

learjet2230
01-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Just gotta know where to go and not to go! Grew up here so I have a few "safe" places.

learjet2230
01-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Well I loaded the family up yesterday to go on a boat ride. After about 2 minutes of warming it up in the lift, the low oil pressure buzzer was going off and the guage read zero. My stomach hit zero and I shut the boat off. I was like whet the heck! I started it back up and pressure was good. Then about 20 sec later guage went to zero. I was like oh crap. I was going to pull off the sending unit wire and clean the terminal. Well I snapped the little pipe ging into the block. I got it out, ran to NAPA and got a new tube, and looked to see if they had a sending unit. No exact match so I waited. I did however buy a mechanical guage to test and make sure I didn't have an engine problem. Hooke that up and pressure was a steady 50 pounds cold. Proceeded to jerk the buzzer out. But the whole point of this is when I pulled the lanyard from the kill switch, the boat kept running!! I was laughing my butt off. I could see myself falling out of the boat with the lanyard attached to my wrist and the boat trucking down the lake! So I definately have an electrical issue. More to come.

learjet2230
01-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Just keeps getting better! Found out today when the kill switch is pulled, not only doest the boat keep running, but the tach stops working. So I guess if your deaf.............I think it is time to trailer this sucker and rewire the beast! Still thinking about it!

jrcarte78
06-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Did you ever find the culprit(s) in your situation. I'm having some issues currently that are similar to yours, but not as severe.