PDA

View Full Version : Auto insurance ?

mitch
12-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Ok, so you're sitting at a stop light and you get rear ended by a driver, with the impact pushing you into the car in front of you. Do you have to use your insurance to take care of the the car you were 'forced into' or is the guy who caused the whole thing responsible for both cars? It was a dinner topic tonight and thought someone here might know. I say the who caused it is guy is responsible for the whole thing? Thx

TMCNo1
12-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Ok, so you're sitting at a stop light and you get rear ended by a driver, with the impact pushing you into the car in front of you. Do you have to use your insurance to take care of the the car you were 'forced into' or is the guy who caused the whole thing responsible for both cars? It was a dinner topic tonight and thought someone here might know. I say the who caused it is guy is responsible for the whole thing? Thx

I would ask Monte72, he's a insurance agent.

Farmer Ted
12-27-2007, 08:48 PM
It would only seem fair to the guy in the middle that the guy in the back started the whole mess would be responsible...............

so my answer is.............

the guy in the middle would be on the hook for the car he hit

mitch
12-27-2007, 08:58 PM
It would only seem fair to the guy in the middle that the guy in the back started the whole mess would be responsible...............

so my answer is.............

the guy in the middle would be on the hook for the car he hit

In my somewhat small mind, the mid guy did not really hit anyone, he was pushed into the car in front of him, and avoiding that contact would seem impossible and therefore the rear cars fault.

Farmer Ted
12-27-2007, 09:00 PM
In my somewhat small mind, the mid guy did not really hit anyone, he was pushed into the car in front of him, and avoiding that contact would seem impossible and therefore the rear cars fault.

I agree with you Mitch, getting the bean counters at the insurance agency to take our side is another thing

mitch
12-27-2007, 09:03 PM
I just called the claims dept at Amica for grins, and they said the the rear guy is at fault for the whole shabang.

I'd be ticked something fierce if I was the mid guy and forced to pony up for the front car after some buttmunch rear ended me:rolleyes:

others?

03 35th Anniversary
12-27-2007, 09:20 PM
I just called the claims dept at Amica for grins, and they said the the rear guy is at fault for the whole shabang.

I'd be ticked something fierce if I was the mid guy and forced to pony up for the front car after some buttmunch rear ended me:rolleyes:

others?This happened to a friend of mine and he was responsible for the car infront of him that he hit. The reason for it was he wasn't at a safe following distance.

But this was over 10 years ago....

Maristar210
12-27-2007, 10:26 PM
No fault means no fault. You hit another car, no fault?

Is Bawston a no fault state?

WTRSK1R
12-27-2007, 11:49 PM
My car was legally parked in a parking lot while I was out skiing once. It was hit and the cop told me the only reason I was not "partially" at fault was because it was legally parked in a marked space. The fact that I was no where near the car when some other moron ran into it did not even factor into it. Thankfully, the other vehicle owner did not fight the issue and wrote me check to keep insurance companies out of the equation. What seems logical, does not always play into these discussions.

bucky
12-28-2007, 08:03 AM
This happened to me, and Oklahoma laws may differ from your state. The driver at the back who hit me was at fault for me and the car in front of me I hit.
However, if there had been no witnesses to say who started it, I would have been responsible for the car I hit and received a ticket for "following too close" (even though I was stopped at a traffic light).

Monte
12-28-2007, 09:11 AM
The guy that rear ended you is responsible for both vehicles. I would go ahead and file the claim against his company. I see no reason you should be at fault when he instigated the accident...

thijs
12-28-2007, 11:19 AM
I always make sure that I have a lot of distance in front of me when I wait at a light. It seems that there is no clear assurance you are not going to be charged, so I make sure that I can at least see the bottom of the tires in front of me until at least there are three other cars waiting behind me. Then I may move ahead a bit to make room.

Although how could you avoid rolling forward at any distance if you were knocked out breifly by the rear end??? Wink wink......

thijs
12-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Double post, sorry. How about posting too close?

Monte
12-28-2007, 11:58 AM
I always make sure that I have a lot of distance in front of me when I wait at a light. It seems that there is no clear assurance you are not going to be charged, so I make sure that I can at least see the bottom of the tires in front of me until at least there are three other cars waiting behind me. Then I may move ahead a bit to make room.

Although how could you avoid rolling forward at any distance if you were knocked out breifly by the rear end??? Wink wink......

Seeing the tires is not always a safe bet. You could be 100ft back. It all depends on how fast the adverse driver is going when he rear ends you. If he is doing say 70mph you will hit the car in front of you. (though probably upside down:rolleyes: ) I'm pretty sure Mitch cannot be considered at fault. He stopped his car. the guy behind him didn't.... just my experience

mitch
12-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies, no actual accident, just a conversation w/ my 16 y/o son, who with all his many years of wisdom and driving experience was positive the middle guy, who was hit, takes care of the car in front of him, cause a buddy told him;)

TMCNo1
12-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies, no actual accident, just a conversation w/ my 16 y/o son, who with all his many years of wisdom and driving experience was positive the middle guy, who was hit, takes care of the car in front of him, cause a buddy told him;)

Just for the giggles of it, I'd do a walk-by of the sons vehicle and look at his front and rear bumpers!:D

Before our daughter got her drivers license, I talked to our insurance agent and he gave me a message to give to her, "90% of all accidents by new/inexperienced drivers are rear end collisions (hitting the car in front of you), because of distractions like, playing with the stereo, talking to friends, eating, etc., etc." That was in 1989 and she has never had a ticket yet, but has been rearended by 2 young drivers ( 1 was her first week at college). Who knows what the % is today with cell phones/text messaging and other distractions!

Monte
12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Just for the giggles of it, I'd do a walk-by of the sons vehicle and look at his front and rear bumpers!:D

Before our daughter got her drivers license, I talked to our insurance agent and he gave me a message to give to her, "90% of all accidents by new/inexperienced drivers are rear end collisions (hitting the car in front of you), because of distractions like, playing with the stereo, talking to friends, eating, etc., etc." That was in 1989 and she has never had a ticket yet, but has been rearended by 2 young drivers ( 1 was her first week at college). Who knows what the % is today with cell phones/text messaging and other distractions!

37% of all inexperienced operators are involved in an accident..;) No data on the cell phone/ radio/ other people/ question.... :o