PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico Mastercraft Owners???

mrprostar
12-27-2007, 03:29 PM
I've only had my mastercraft for a few months now (unfortunately most of those months were spent keeping the snow off of it). I was wondering if there are any private lakes in this state. I encountered one other MC owner here but he skis the publics too. If you are from NM where do you ski and do you know of any lakes that are worth checking out?

shepherd
12-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I didn't know they had lakes in New Mexico! ;)

Just kidding.

I've been to Santa Fe once. Very cool place and surrounding areas - canyons, mountains... beautiful.
(but I don't remember seeing a single body of water :cool: ).

mrprostar
12-27-2007, 06:57 PM
There is plenty of water. Its just very cold and most places have monsoon/wind problems in the afternoon. I went to college in Chicago so I know what most of you have as far as choice of lakes. I skied in Wisconsin as Lake Puckaway and Pleasant Lake which were both nice, but I would much rather ski where there are next to no people, and every morning until about noon the water is glass.

cbryan70
12-27-2007, 07:03 PM
My good friend has a place on pleasant lake in wisconson. That lake is insane

mrprostar
12-27-2007, 07:36 PM
My roommate from college has a place on that lake too. He has managed to get pretty good at skiing despite only four hours a day of ski time.

swchopper
12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
I think they think you said MN, not NM. Anyways, I'm up in Farmington. Have an X-Star. I am always on Navajo Lake. Don't know of any other "private" lakes.
This weather is killing me. Cant wait til June!

mrprostar
12-31-2007, 11:03 AM
I've never been to Navajo. I've heard its good but I don't know exactly where it is. I'm in Albuquerque and El Vado is far enough away to need to long weekend to make it worth it. Is Navajo busy?

capnkirk52
01-02-2008, 05:53 PM
sw chopper, is that your red/black xstar I always see cruising around? My buddy just got a black/blue xstar like yours and I just got a PWT edition xstar because his boat was so sweet. Navajo is a great lake to hang out on. We'll have to chat it up sometime.

capnkirk52
01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
mr prostar. You will love Navajo. I'd guess it's a 2.5 hr trip north. I'd say the NM side is a lot busier than the Colorado side. I personally like the CO side better anyway, you can always find a good spot up there. It's windy from 8-10am and from 5-7pm. The times in between it is just hot. If you can wait till after 7 to put in, you'll have a great ride in the evening too. It's a great lake.

mrprostar
01-08-2008, 07:41 PM
My family and I are looking into a Memorial Day trip to Roosevelt in AZ. I learned to ski there ten years ago on two skis, but I don't remember if would be worth the 6 hour drive from Albuquerque. Anyone been there and have some good advice?

mrprostar
01-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I think they think you said MN, not NM. Anyways, I'm up in Farmington. Have an X-Star. I am always on Navajo Lake. Don't know of any other "private" lakes.
This weather is killing me. Cant wait til June!

What are the water temps like at Navajo in April and May? Flippin freezin I bet, but how freezing?

Thrall
01-09-2008, 04:02 PM
1 more in NM here! I think that makes 3 Mastercrafts in the state now!
Roosevelt will be pretty crowded for Memorial Day. All the lakes on the Salt River chain are crowded. I'd reccomed going to Apache Lake, it's just down the river from Roosevelt. Only About 10 mi farther drive, but the last few mi are on a dirt road, so it keeps some of the traffic down compared to the others.
El Vado will be cold as he!! Mem Day. Farthest north I've gone in the early summer is Abiquiu Lake and the water was about 50 deg in June! (And it's 2 lakes downstream from El Vado)
We normally go to Santa Rosa Lake or Sumner Lake until later in the year, then hit up Abiquiu.
None of them are very crowded by midwest or AZ standards. If the water is high enough, Santa Rosa has some good ski areas that are fairly well sheltered when the wind kicks up. None of the above mentioned NM lakes seems to get busy at all w/ boat traffic until 10 or 11 am.
Conchas lake and Elephant Butte are the most popular, largest lakes, and also the most crowded.

mrprostar
01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah my experience is similar, so far. Like I said before we got our boat in the middle of last summer so this will be our first early summer skiing. How cold is Santa Rosa in April and May? I know it will be warmer. I hope warmer than fifty.

belz87
01-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Another Mastercraft owner here in the Lovington NM area. We are a long ways from your side of the state but get great water and no crowds down here at Red Bluff. Its right at the Tex/Nm line and is perfect most of the time.

mrprostar
01-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Thats a solid five hours away from here. Thats just as far as Roosevelt. We are looking for good early season lakes and I assume that far south has pretty nice warm water. Are there good places to stay close to the lake?

belz87
01-10-2008, 02:47 PM
No there is no where to stay, just camping. Carlsbad is just 30 miles away with plenty of hotels there. You can also ski the river in town at Carlsbad. Its really good if its not crowded. Has picnic tables along the river with places to dock you boat while your hanging out in the park.

mrprostar
01-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info. Maybe we will see you down there. When do you start your skiing season?

belz87
01-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Were looking for 70 degree plus outside on a regular basis so hopefully March or so. Ya know its not the water temp thats gets ya its riding in boat when its cold. Hard to find someone to go.

mrprostar
01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah they can wear coats and hats and be fine. March sounds good to me! I'll have to talk the fam into it.

capnkirk52
01-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Water temp at Navajo on memorial day the past two years has been 65-68 degrees and air temp is usually in the 70's. Just a bit chilly but still a blast. Navajo is way better than Elephant Butte.

mrprostar
01-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Thats not bad at all. I skiied in WI during memorial day and the water was about 55. Not too shabby. We might end up going to the north (northern New Mexico I mean) for that week after all.

kdjose
01-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Another NM MC owner here! We were tooling around in the turquoise Pro Star 190 at Abiquiu all summer. I've considered developing a private lake community, though water rights are the killer. If you are interested, let me know -- pre sales might make the thing work.

Another weird coincidence, I'm a former show and 3 event skier from Northern WI -- Manitowish Waters and Minocqua. Conchas is probably the best bet for spring skiing. My boat now lives at our house in WI, so I'm out looking for another one to live here! See you out there.

mrprostar
04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
The family made a decision to go to Roosevelt for the Memorial weekend. I know it will be crowded. Has anyone been there this weekend and know how crowded it is. The reason I ask is we are debating whether or not we can take our dogs. If we can find a beach with little to no people on it somewhere on the lake we can let them run around and keep at least one person on the shore with them. If it is going to be so crowded that there will be people everywhere then we probably should keep them at home. Please advise.