PDA

View Full Version : ProStar 197 Shower Help...

Sodar
12-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Can any of you with a FACTORY installed shower, tell me if the switch for the pump is located at the helm... and the mixer knobs in the trunk are like this:

http://www.heatercraft.com/images/products/Large/S110.jpg

or the switch for the pump is actually on the shower mixer knob... like this one:

http://www.heatercraft.com/images/products/Large/S110S.jpg

03 35th Anniversary
12-27-2007, 03:27 PM
What you can't figure it out on your boat????? :D :D :D

JerryS
12-27-2007, 03:51 PM
The factory installation is the top photo, located in the rear locker. The switch is on the front console and is a stock Mastercraft switch just like all the others on the console. It is NOT located on the lower switch panel where the ballast, MTS stuff is located. In stock installations the shower switch is mounted to the far left side of steering wheel.

I have the factory installation, and if I had to re-do it, I would go with the second assembly you have photographed. I like having the shower switch at the rear of the boat where it will be used. Everytime I'm gonna use the shower, I have to tell someone up front to turn it on or off while I'm on the platform.

So if you have a choice - go with the second one, you'll probably be better off.

Jerry

JerryS
12-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Here's some images you may find helpful. Does your boat already have the heater? There were some differences between my 06 and the 07 and later shower/heater plumbing, didn't know if you may find that info helpful in regards to getting good heat output. The stock 06' plumbing didn't work well (tapped off the manifold garden hose loop)

http://members.aol.com/ctseaplane/switch.jpg

http://members.aol.com/ctseaplane/shower1.jpg

JerryS
12-27-2007, 04:02 PM
http://members.aol.com/ctseaplane/hose.jpg

http://members.aol.com/ctseaplane/pump.jpg

Sodar
12-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Looks like I need the second type with the switch. I have no more room left for any switches on my dash. Where my shower switch should be, it has a switch for the seat heater. I do have a heater, so I do see where the tie-in should be for the shower.

From Left to right:

Seat Heat, Heater, Courtesy Lights (STEERING WHEEL) Nav Lights, Bilge Pump, Blower

Monte
12-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Personnally I think it is a better option to have it in the back where the user/ skier can get to it without saying "hey! would you mind flipping that switch?" Just saying.. Not that you really have any other options with a full dash....

Sodar
12-27-2007, 04:43 PM
The thing is that I want to make it where installation is as simple as a "plug and play" wiring job. From what I understand MC has identical wiring harnesses for every boat... loaded or not, so when an option is not added, the wiring is there, the option is not. So, if MC has the wiring for a shower switch at the helm and a couple butt connectors in the trunk for the pump, then that is the way I will go.

I do like the idea of having the switch in the back. I wish I knew someone with an '07 X-7 or 197 to answer my question. Eric is up snowmobiling for the New Year....

Jim or Mike... ya out there?

BrianM
12-27-2007, 04:58 PM
I like the idea of thw switch being in the back too. Seems like a better setup. The wiring is so simple on these that even if it isn't plug and play it is going to be super simple.

Sodar
12-27-2007, 05:29 PM
I like the idea of thw switch being in the back too. Seems like a better setup. The wiring is so simple on these that even if it isn't plug and play it is going to be super simple.

OK! I think ya sold me! I really like the idea of the switch in the trunk. I am going to return the valve without the switch and get the valve with the switch in it. Now, I gotta drive and get the boat from the river... OH WELL!! Looks like I am going out there for New Years!!

WTRSK1R
12-27-2007, 05:44 PM
The thing is that I want to make it where installation is as simple as a "plug and play" wiring job. From what I understand MC has identical wiring harnesses for every boat... loaded or not, so when an option is not added, the wiring is there, the option is not. So, if MC has the wiring for a shower switch at the helm and a couple butt connectors in the trunk for the pump, then that is the way I will go.

I do like the idea of having the switch in the back. I wish I knew someone with an '07 X-7 or 197 to answer my question. Eric is up snowmobiling for the New Year....

Jim or Mike... ya out there?

Sodar,
If the wiring is like my '04, then you are correct that there will be 2 wires at the dash for the switch, and there are 2 wires coming out in the trunk for the pump. But....if you just jump the 2 wires under the dash together, then it will be live power to the 2 wires in back for the pump. Simply run one wire through your switch on the mixer before it goes to the pump and you are in business with no need to do anything to the factory harness. It does not matter where the switch is, as long as it is before the pump. Does that make sense?

If not, I can do a quick little diagram and add it as a image.

Steve

Sodar
12-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Sodar,
If the wiring is like my '04, then you are correct that there will be 2 wires at the dash for the switch, and there are 2 wires coming out in the trunk for the pump. But....if you just jump the 2 wires under the dash together, then it will be live power to the 2 wires in back for the pump. Simply run one wire through your switch on the mixer before it goes to the pump and you are in business with no need to do anything to the factory harness. It does not matter where the switch is, as long as it is before the pump. Does that make sense?

If not, I can do a quick little diagram and add it as a image.

Steve

I understand what you are saying. That is a simple fix and would elimiate the need for me to hack into the harness! Thanks Dude!

WTRSK1R
12-27-2007, 05:54 PM
No problem. I would not want to hack into the factory harness either. At least not if there is a simple solution to avoid it. Plus, who knows what other live power would be nearby in the trunk.

Steve

dsoby
12-27-2007, 07:59 PM
A friend had an 07 197 with a factory shower and the configuration was the second picture with the switch on the mixer.

Sodar
12-27-2007, 08:32 PM
A friend had an 07 197 with a factory shower and the configuration was the second picture with the switch on the mixer.

AWESOME! Thanks Dosby!

I just exchanged my valve for the valve WITH the switch. I spoke to a very nice guy at HeaterCraft and he is going to help me out with a few "details" on the install! I am just going to say that the install will be VERY "Harold-esque"(TMCNo1) in nature! Pictures and details will follow!:cool:

TMCNo1
12-27-2007, 08:38 PM
AWESOME! Thanks Dosby!

I just exchanged my valve for the valve WITH the switch. I spoke to a very nice guy at HeaterCraft and he is going to help me out with a few "details" on the install! I am just going to say that the install will be VERY "Harold-esque"(TMCNo1) in nature! Pictures and details will follow!:cool:

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme Only way to go!

erkoehler
12-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Cameron, the switch should mount in the trunk.

Back to snowmobiling..........

wakolman
12-28-2007, 12:46 AM
As I read this, I wonder about the switch in the trunk getting accidentally turned on "getting bumped by a vest or something" either when on the water or when on the trailer and turning the pump on. I can't remember if each mixer dial has an "off" position. I like the idea of having the switch in the back by the mixer and nozzle. Maybe a rocker switch is not the best type, but I also would want to keep the install looking "factory", like you.

I don't have the shower.

WTRSK1R
12-28-2007, 09:43 AM
As I read this, I wonder about the switch in the trunk getting accidentally turned on "getting bumped by a vest or something" either when on the water or when on the trailer and turning the pump on. I can't remember if each mixer dial has an "off" position. I like the idea of having the switch in the back by the mixer and nozzle. Maybe a rocker switch is not the best type, but I also would want to keep the install looking "factory", like you.

I don't have the shower.
Wakolman,
The way this shower pump works is it runs until the pressure in the line to the shower head is at a certain level, and then a pressure switch turns off the pump. So technically, you can have the shower turned on all the time, and as long as the valve on the shower head is off, the pump will never run once it has pressure. I have accidently left mine on after pulling the boat out of the water and driven all the way home without noticing the light on the switch. Once the boat was in the garage and out of bright sunlight, I noticed the switch was lit up. The pump did not run, and caused no issue. Normally, when we are on the lake if I think I will want the shower, I just turn it on for the first user, and leave it on for the rest of the outing, since the pump only runs when needed. I suppose, if the shower head leaked, or water came out for some other reason I could flood the boat this way, but I have not had any issues, and the pump is loud enough that if it kicked on when you were not using the shower I think I would notice.

I think a vest hitting the switch is a small risk.

Steve

Sodar
12-28-2007, 10:09 AM
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme Only way to go!

You know it!! :D

Sodar
12-28-2007, 10:09 AM

I don't have the shower.

I was thinking the same thing... however... if the valve is placed in the same spot as below, I beleive that the chances of the switch getting bumped are very slim. I think that the cold water valve and the bump in the trunk from the fuel fill lines will create a nice little pocket of protection for the switch. If it is really a problem, I have seen covers for these switches on offshore boats. I suppose I could install the cover if the problem arose.

TMCNo1
12-28-2007, 10:30 AM
I was thinking the same thing... however... if the valve is placed in the same spot as below, I beleive that the chances of the switch getting bumped are very slim. I think that the cold water valve and the bump in the trunk from the fuel fill lines will create a nice little pocket of protection for the switch. If it is really a problem, I have seen covers for these switches on offshore boats. I suppose I could install the cover if the problem arose.

A nice hidden piano hinged carpeted "L" shaped cover over the whole valve/switch plate would protect it from getting hit by anything or build a small carpeted recessed box in the panel from behind the panel.

tph
12-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I moved the valves to the rear of our boat a few years ago. I also replaced the original handheld unit with a standard showerhead and coiled hose that stores in one of the rear cupholders. I am installing a switch on the valve unit this winter. It will either be the only switch or one of two SPDT switches so that the pump can be operated from either the dash or the rear of the boat.

Jesus_Freak
01-02-2008, 04:21 AM
I also replaced the original handheld unit with a standard showerhead and coiled hose that stores in one of the rear cupholders.

Can you supply a picture of this?

H20skeefreek
01-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Can you supply a picture of this?
You don't have that thing installed yet???

Jesus_Freak
01-03-2008, 04:04 AM
You don't have that thing installed yet???

Funny. No way, dude. My wife is making sure that there are plenty of other projects with a higher priority in front of this one. Plus, old bertha is in storage now at a place not easily accessed. All I have done at this point is to pick up a cheesy shower head from Lowes.;)

Sodar
02-20-2008, 06:39 PM
AWESOME! Thanks Dosby!

Well, after a month or so of planning out my install, I finally have something to show for it! As of now, I have the pump mounted and wired, the switch/valves mounted and the hoses measured.

Today, I went and had custom hoses made to go from the mixing valve to the pressure pump and then from the pressure pump to the quick connect on the side panel.

Here is the cool thing that I have done on the project... I have used NO hose clamps. All the hoses have been connected with crimped brass ferrules. I also had HeaterCraft make me some red and blue hoses that are exactly the correct length, so there is no need to use any hose to extend them.

Here are two pictures of the brass ferrules. I have not taken any of the installed pump or wiring, yet.

VTJC
02-21-2008, 12:38 PM
One advantage of having the switch near the driver is in case of a leak in your hose/nozzle, water will start to be pumped into the boat, and you can shut it off from there. You can also shut of the pump from driver seat in case the shower operator starts to spray you. You also don’t need to go running around the boat to shut off all the accessories when you put it away. Nice clean installs though.
Since I don’t have a trunk I put my controls here: http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/control_www.jpg
Jamie

moleson10
02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Now that it's installed, I hesitate to say this but....

My concern about having the switch in the ski locker is "will anyone ever remember to turn it off". I'm bad enough with my blower. It makes noise and the switch is in front of me and I still forget it.

A handy guy like you could probably put a light somewhere to remind yourself the shower is on. Just a thought.