PDA

View Full Version : Replace transmission fluid filter?

shepherd
12-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Do you replace your transmission filter when you change the fluid?
How often do you change your tranny fluid?

My boat: '03 PS 197 with Hurth ZF 63A transmission (powerslot) and Cadillac LQ9 engine

The owner's manual for the transmission says change tranny fluid every year - OK. It also says the filter element must be replaced whenever the fluid is changed. I've never done this on my previous boat - I've only had this boat for 8 months. I just checked skidim. If I'm not mistaken, these filters cost $67!

shepherd
12-27-2007, 11:03 AM
skidim doesn't seem to sell filters for other transmissions. I'm thinking that the ZF's are the only ones with replaceable filters... :confused:

east tx skier
12-27-2007, 11:12 AM
I recall reading here that the answer is, indeed, replace it. Tranny fluid is every 100 hours or seasonal.

bigmac
12-27-2007, 11:15 AM
On my dealer's advice, I haven't replaced my ZF transmission's filter, although in 150 hours I've changed the oil in it twice. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, but it's the advice I got and I agreed with their explanation and rationale.

#47of100TeamMC
12-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Shep,

I've got the same setup on my '02TT I've also been told not to change the tranny filter... I change the Tranny fluid with my Engine oil change every fall. and take the tranny filter out and blow it out with compressed air. It's all stainless and there is no worry of damaging it by compressed air. I've changed the tranny oil a handful of time now in my ownership of the boat... I have never seen anything but purely clean oil come out of it... Never a smudge of grime or grit or anything. I personally think I'm wasting my time and some precious Rotella in changing it so often. But it helps me sleep better at night knowing it runs so clean.

Sodar
12-27-2007, 11:34 AM
I had a ZF Hurth on my '96 and I never changed the filter. In my 4 years of ownership, I pulled the filter out once, cleaned it with compressed air and brake clean, then flushed it a couple times in tranny fluid. The filter never looked dirty, and since I changed my fluid every 50 hours, I am sure cleaning it did not do much!

east tx skier
12-27-2007, 12:55 PM
On my dealer's advice, I haven't replaced my ZF transmission's filter, although in 150 hours I've changed the oil in it twice. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, but it's the advice I got and I agreed with their explanation and rationale.

Not having had a MC with a transmission filter, I'll defer to that. I could swear I could recall Jim@BAWS chiming in on this subject some time ago. But my memory could have faded.

Davo
12-27-2007, 04:59 PM
I've changed the tranny oil a handful of time now in my ownership of the boat... I personally think I'm wasting my time and some precious Rotella in changing it so often. But it helps me sleep better at night knowing it runs so clean.

"precious Rotella" LOL

Piece of mind alone is worth the cost and labor involved....plus, TMCno1 would be highly dissapointed otherwise. 8p

I use the same stuff and I'd swear it runs smoother with the Rotella versus the tran fluid. I only change it once a season even when I was logging some good hours on the lake (not so many hours logged this last year :o ).

wakolman
12-27-2007, 06:22 PM
A dealer told me they don't change the filters when they do the tranny fluid flush- unless there is an obvious reason to do so. So I just changed the fluid.

shepherd
12-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Looks like the consensus is to not change the filter. Thanks guys, I was hoping you'd say that!
Serves me right for reading the manual. :rolleyes:

JohnnyB
01-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Shep,

If your tranny filter is like the one on my 2004 197 1:1 ZF Hurth, its just a screen. I've taken it out the last two changes to find it completely clean.

Also, it is a PITA to get back in.....you need to be able to stand on your head and have three hands.

Its worth dropping out of the tranny, cleaning and inspecting it.....really not that difficult. :D