PDA

View Full Version : 2001 xstar ballast question

gabehonda
12-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Looking for some guidance on where the best place is to buy a couple of bags for both sides of the engine and the pumps to hard plum the bags (i don't want to mess with throwing hoses and pumps over the side everytime). also anyone with a similar boat have a recomendation for the rear sacs, i don't want to take up all the storage space, i have 3 kids and lots of gear when we head out on the water. The only bag we have now is the stock center bag. thanks for any help.

vision
12-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Search TeamTalk for a thread about upgraded ballast in a 2005 X2. It went into great detail on how to add an automated ballast system to a pre-2004 X-star, 04-05 X2, or > 06 X1.

I will say that with our 05 X2 (same boat as yours) we found that more ballast in the center of the boat gave us a much better wake and tighter lip than weight in the storage areas next to the engine. Weight in the rear caused the wake to curl over. We had to keep a ratio of 1:2 stern weight to center weight to maintain a descent wake shape. Just wanted to throw that info out there before you spend money on an upgraded rear ballast system.

Rich_G
12-27-2007, 03:30 PM
I have the Pro-X Series V-drive ballast bags and they take up a little more than half the space in the rear compartments. They are around 440 lbs each. Some people go with the 750's and they will completely fill the space.

As far as pumps, I went with Rule 750 gph Aerator pumps; got them at www.livebaitlarry.com Tsunami (brand) pumps are rated higher but are challenging in terms of finding standard plumbing fittings if you are making your own manifold. Here is picture of how I set mine up. Each ballast bag has its own pump attached to the bag for emptying. If you are using reversible pumps you will need a different setup.

Jerseydave
12-27-2007, 07:07 PM
My friends 2006 X-1 has the V-drive sacs (400 each) in the rear compartments, he removed the stock hard tanks and plumbed these in to the stock reversable pumps which are mounted on the inside of the transom behind the engine. This will still give you some storage for vests, ropes, handles, etc.
He also has a sac in the ski locker (not sure what size) and another 500 lb. sac in the walkway (fills it manually.) He never has to empty the ski locker sac, but he only lives 3 miles from the ramp.
Total weight I think is around 1500-1600 lbs. (800 rear, 750+or- front) Makes a nice wake. Sometimes he even puts another 500 lbs. across the front bow seats.