PDA

View Full Version : ETX/CAT = no more muffler ?!?

fbroen
12-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Picked up an 08 X1 recently and was very surprised to see that it did not have a silentmaster muffler/silencer in there. Is the thought that the ETX/CAT manifolds are quiet enough on their own w/o help?

Haven't run it yet other than in the driveway, where it seems louder than our previous X2(205v) and PS190, both TBIs. Oh, and here is a pic of the beauty, we're stoked to have her.

CottagerGreg
12-26-2007, 05:50 PM
I noticed this too at my local dealer... 08 X-star with MCX had no mufflers, and 08 X-2 with RTP had no mufflers... nice 3" to the tips... hmmmmm

can anyone shed some light on this? I don't mind since I love the sound of a unmuffled V8!! I guess water in the exhuast keeps things cool and quiet enough?

Sodar
12-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Nice Looking Boat! Congrats!

With the EXT/CAT exhaust and the baffled exhaust tips, there is not much need for mufflers. The catalytic converter coupled with the baffled tips quiets the boat down quite well. I noticed very little change in the sound between my 1996 LT-1 and my '07 MCX. It is hard to tell until you get the boat in the water though.

Edit: A V-drive might be different since it is a much shorter distance of exhaust hose as opposed to a DD.

Harvey
12-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Beautiful boat, saw it over on Wakeworld as well. With the trailer I am guessing it will see some salt water.

Jerseydave
12-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Nice ride, good luck with it! Where in the mid-atlantic are you located?

I think someone on here had removed their silentmaster muffler and installed baffled tips, not sure who? (Leroy or BigMac maybe??)

mccobmd
12-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Hope you enjoy your X1 as much as we have, downside is waiting for it to warm up. But hey most of the world lives oblivious to fact that the best thing you can see is the back of a Mastercraft with a rope in you hands.

mayo93prostar
12-26-2007, 08:34 PM
fbro, congrats on your purchase. where in mid atlantic are you. njskier is in nj and I am in Annapolis, MD area. I see you have a galvanized trailer so I assume you are on salt or brackish water. welcome to the mastercraft family.

fbroen
12-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks all for the compliments.

Wow, so it seems like no 08s have mufflers. Surprsising after MC having marketed how great the silentmasters are for years...

Oh, and I am in Annapolis, hence the galv trailer.

vision
12-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I had an 05 X2 with silentmaster and now have an 08 X-star with the catalytic converter set up. Not much difference in loudness at idle when the exhaust is under the water. But, behind the boat at speed the 08 is definitely louder. While I love the throaty sound of a V8, I would prefer a quieter time at the end of the rope. Certainly would make it easier to enjoy the tunes.

Jerseydave
12-27-2007, 07:26 PM
mayo87prostar and fbroen,

Looks like you 2 should be near each other, do either of you run the Severn river? I sometimes come down to the Chester river on the eastern shore.
Bring your boats up to NJ Wakefest this year, the river here is nice.
Go here: www.njwakefest.com

Okay, threadjack over! :)